Have No Fear, Spring is (almost) Here!

Old March 1st 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.running
dizzy

Default Have No Fear, Spring is (almost) Here!

jake wrote:

PS: You know another thing I hated about running around an indoor
track? The walkers; one or two is OK, but when there's 7 or 8 of them
it's like running downtown during the lunchhour.

You're lucky to have a track that's as large as 1/8 mile. My main
club closed, so I must drive further for the "priveledge" of running
on a 1/16 mile track! Blech. Needless to say, I only go there when
running outside is totally not practical.

And yeah, those damn walkers... Especially the ones that are too
stupid to follow the "slow traffic stay to the inside" rule...

The good news is that running an a smallish track is a surprisingly
good workout. I think the constant changes of direction take that
much extra power.

Old March 2nd 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.running
Dot

dizzy wrote:

jake wrote:

PS: You know another thing I hated about running around an indoor
track? The walkers; one or two is OK, but when there's 7 or 8 of them
it's like running downtown during the lunchhour.

You're lucky to have a track that's as large as 1/8 mile. My main
club closed, so I must drive further for the "priveledge" of running
on a 1/16 mile track! Blech. Needless to say, I only go there when
running outside is totally not practical.

Come north. Anchorage has a 400m indoor track which opened last year,
iirc. (no, I've not used it, but it's the largest indoor track in NA, I
heard. UAA track team does use it and they did quite well in NCAA last
year, iirc. Everybody I know is mostly running trails outdoors. With a
couple people I know taking off on a 350-mi race today.)

Dot

--
"Often, quantity of miles is not the answer, but rather quality, i.e.
making your traiing specific to your goals.... The key was specificity

Old March 2nd 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.running
Dot

jake wrote:
Thanks for your response too.

I just realized my error...my indoor track was not.125 miles.
It was 12.5 laps to the mile, which was almost as small as yours.
What's encouraging about your response is the info about the
small track being a better workout than running outside because
of the turns.

Just beware of potential injuries constantly turning like that - unless
they reverse directions occasionally.

Dot

Old March 3rd 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.running
dizzy

jake wrote:

Thanks for your response too.

I just realized my error...my indoor track was not.125 miles.
It was 12.5 laps to the mile, which was almost as small as yours.
What's encouraging about your response is the info about the
small track being a better workout than running outside because
of the turns.

I didn't say it was "better". I said it was "surprisingly good".
Running outside has its challenges, also, like hills and wind.

Have No Fear, Spring is (almost) Here! Doug Freese Running 0 March 1st 09 01:37 PM
The Scent Of Fear.... Tony D Weights 53 January 18th 05 11:59 AM
New Nietzschean Diet Lets You Eat Whatever You Fear Most Top Sirloin Weights 0 March 3rd 04 02:13 PM
Spine injury, fear, and comeback Cameron Laird Weights 0 September 14th 03 08:49 AM
fear of water MartinNHN Swimming 2 August 2nd 03 09:42 PM