Thanks, Wayne and Will - first bench video

Old November 29th 03, 10:23 PM
Steve Freides

Default Thanks, Wayne and Will - first bench video

Got over my bodyweight without any great difficulty. Did:

bar
95
115
135
150 x 2
165 x 2

I put the end of the bench outside the rack and that was close enough for
today.

I don't know if you can see but I did different things with form on the
second 165 because I didn't feel my elbows were fully locked out on the
first rep (although from what I see on the tape, they look locked out on
both).

I know I'm not pausing enough at the bottom. For whatever reason, I seem to
want to pause my squats too long and my bench not enough - I will work on
pausing longer on the bench press. It's mostly not being too sure exactly
where my chest is, I think.

http://www.kbnj.com/bench_1.rm

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 29th 03, 10:33 PM
John Hanson

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:23:45 -0500, "Steve Freides"
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

http://www.kbnj.com/bench_1.rm

LOL! You look just like someone who has a bench shirt on that is
having trouble getting the bar to touch his chest.

Old November 29th 03, 11:23 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , "Steve Freides"
wrote:

[...]

Jeez. That looks kinda dangerous to me Steve.

You start with the bar way over your eyes. You haven't adducted your
scapula, so you are benching way further than you have too. While you
bring the bar down to your chest there is quite an angle. You don't even
really do an inverted 'J' press - you just jinda angle it. I'd lower the
weight a bit and start working on technique a little more. Right now you
are a rotator cuff waiting to blow.

Also you talked about tightening your body in the deadlift and squat. Why
are you so relaxed in the bench. Dayum man, get tight will ya!

The starting strenght level is good. But right now I think with your
technique flaws you are strong enough to be dangerous.

Primer.

1. Get tight. Drive your shoulders into the bench and keep pushing with
your feet. your butt should just lightly touch - you should have the
weight on your shoulders and feet and be actively pushing a little with
your feet.

2. Take the bar off the racks with the shoulders retracted. Bring the bar
over your chest and stop. Deep breath and tighten down everything.

3. Spread the bar. Imagine the bar can be pulled apart and try to do so as
you lower the bar. This creates tension and gets the lats into the
picture. Seems impossible, but you'll feel it.

4. Lower straight down. Pause. Press straight up.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
Old November 29th 03, 11:41 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Steve Freides wrote:

I put the end of the bench outside the rack and that was
close enough for today.

That looks fine.

I don't know if you can see but I did different things with
form on the second 165 because I didn't feel my elbows were
fully locked out on the first rep (although from what I see
on the tape, they look locked out on both).

You need a bunch of practice to find your groove. One thing to
work on is pressing straight up, i.e.,
- unracking
- moving the bar over your chest
- lowering straight down (below nipples is best)
- pushing straight up (and down, and up)
- reracking

I know I'm not pausing enough at the bottom.

That's a gym-style bench you've got going there. Personally, I
wouldn't worry about the pause until you get your motion working
for you, because right now it isn't (working for you, that is).
I'd suggest doing many reps per workout with an easy weight, and
concentrating on your form.

--
-Wayne
Old November 29th 03, 11:53 PM
Steve Freides

"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
In article , "Steve Freides"
wrote:
-snip-
I know I'm not pausing enough at the bottom. For whatever reason, I

seem to
want to pause my squats too long and my bench not enough - I will work

on
pausing longer on the bench press. It's mostly not being too sure

exactly
where my chest is, I think.

Jeez. That looks kinda dangerous to me Steve.

I lived; good to be strong enough to handle poor technique, eh?

You start with the bar way over your eyes. You haven't adducted your
scapula, so you are benching way further than you have too. While you
bring the bar down to your chest there is quite an angle. You don't even
really do an inverted 'J' press - you just jinda angle it. I'd lower the
weight a bit and start working on technique a little more. Right now you
are a rotator cuff waiting to blow.

My squatting looked a whole lot more god-awful on day 1 than it did a week
later - hopefully that will be the case for the bench press as well. My
shoulders feel fine if that matters, and I did 3 sets of 3 reps of
bodyweight + 24kg pullups earlier today.

Also you talked about tightening your body in the deadlift and squat. Why
are you so relaxed in the bench. Dayum man, get tight will ya!

Ah, history. I've got a history of back problems and I've learned to be
careful. I've got no such history with bench pressing. And I obviously
haven't a clue about bench pressing yet.

The starting strenght level is good. But right now I think with your
technique flaws you are strong enough to be dangerous.

Word. I hear you. The whole business felt much too easy and I was almost
benching what it took me a week to learn how to squat - that's ain't right.

Primer.

1. Get tight. Drive your shoulders into the bench and keep pushing with
your feet. your butt should just lightly touch - you should have the
weight on your shoulders and feet and be actively pushing a little with
your feet.

I think I need to raise my feet a little - sound right to you based on what
you saw? I cannot bring them in any closer without my heels coming off the
ground, if that helps describe my position.

2. Take the bar off the racks with the shoulders retracted. Bring the bar
over your chest and stop. Deep breath and tighten down everything.

I would like to try it the same way I'm squatting, which means I'll breath
tightly at the top and try to hold that as I lower. Sounds more like the
Party way. (That's just for Lyle. )

3. Spread the bar. Imagine the bar can be pulled apart and try to do so as
you lower the bar. This creates tension and gets the lats into the
picture. Seems impossible, but you'll feel it.

This sounds like a very good image. I've got very strong lats for the rest
of me and I know I need them involved. I know how to involve them in
overhead pressing so I ought to be able to figure this out pretty quickly,
too.

4. Lower straight down. Pause. Press straight up.

When I watched Pavel coaching someone on this, it looks to me like he had
them pull in slightly on the way down and push out slightly on the way up.
The movement looked like part bench press and part dip, with very heavy lat
involvement. Pavel was demonstrating and he's mutant flexible so the arch
in his back was just huge. I didn't get a chance to ask about it, though.
I did notice that I seemed to be doing, if anything, the exact opposite of
what I just described so I _know_ what I'm doing is no good.

I feel like there's a fair amount I already know about squatting if only
because it's legs like a DL and it's a squat like the kettlebell front
squats I do. Lately I've been kettlebell floor pressing but that's a whole
other beast because the weight's not really in your hands because of where
the center of gravity is. That's part of why this was weird for me today.
I'm going to completely drop the kettlebell floor press from my training and
I think that will help.

More tomorrow. I promise to try not to hurt myself.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 30th 03, 12:45 AM
Steve Freides

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message
Steve Freides wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback, Wayne. What means, "a gym-style bench?"

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 30th 03, 01:05 AM
frank-in-toronto

just a comment from a guy who knows nothing...
that bench seems about 3 inches too high off the floor
for you. and that cage is awful weak/flexible. i would
brace it better if i were going to use it.
....thehick
Old November 30th 03, 01:12 AM
Wayne S. Hill

Steve Freides wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Wayne. What means, "a gym-style
bench?"

A non-competition style, touch-and-go bench. It's what you see in
a gym (when the person actually bothers to bring the bar all the
way to their chest).

--
-Wayne
Old November 30th 03, 05:14 AM
Aaron

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
In article , "Steve

Freides"
wrote:
-snip-
[...]

the way I set for bench, is place my shoulders in the position I want
(pinning htem back together), then bring my feet right around under my body
as far as my arch will let me, while not moving the shoulders any, so I get
in my max arch. Im rotating my nuts towards the bench as well to get hte
lower back as arched as possible. Since in the IPF I cant lift on the balls
of my feet, I release them out far enough to get both feet flat, doing so
gets my chest up a wee bit higher (I dont know what causes it, havent
bothered thinking of it, but its almost an inch of ROM that I lose) I then
pull the bar outta the rack (pins are set so I hardly lift the bar, so i
dont lose any arch or anything.)

2. Take the bar off the racks with the shoulders retracted. Bring the

bar
over your chest and stop. Deep breath and tighten down everything.

I would like to try it the same way I'm squatting, which means I'll

breath
tightly at the top and try to hold that as I lower. Sounds more like the
Party way. (That's just for Lyle. )

push the chest/gut as hard as possible, creates a solid base.

Old November 30th 03, 06:05 AM
Jeff Finlayson

Steve Freides wrote:

Got over my bodyweight without any great difficulty. Did:
bar
95
115
135
150 x 2
165 x 2

-- Stick with higher reps while you work on your form.

I put the end of the bench outside the rack and that was close enough for
today.

I don't know if you can see but I did different things with form on the
second 165 because I didn't feel my elbows were fully locked out on the
first rep (although from what I see on the tape, they look locked out on
both).

Your elbows look OK near as I can tell from the side view. Good arch.
The bar touches your chest at an angle. Work on lowering and pressing
straight up. Wear some shoes for better traction. It might help to raise
your feet a bit with plates or wood.