how often should I lift to failure?

Old March 30th 05, 01:20 AM
Christian Lee

Default how often should I lift to failure?

How often should I lift to failure? I think I remember reading in Muscle
and Fitness it was recommended only once or twice a week.
Old March 30th 05, 03:02 AM
Preacher

Christian Lee wrote:

How often should I lift to failure? I think I remember reading in Muscle
and Fitness it was recommended only once or twice a week.

Don't know what your goals are, but from what I've read here, I'm not
sure if you EVER need to lift to failure. You can get stronger and
bigger without lifting to failure, and doing it increases your risk of
injury.
Old March 30th 05, 03:27 AM
sculptorOfFlesh

don't powerlifters get stronger from not ever training to failure? i
know for a fact, no powerlifter would attempt a one rep failure max
during regular training. pro bodybuilders, however, are a different
story, i think they always train to failure. hmmm.. so does one's
choice of training to failure depend on whether one is purely into
strength gains or size gains? but, shouldn't size gains come from
strength gains anyway?
- clueless

Old March 30th 05, 03:31 AM

sculptorOfFlesh wrote:
don't powerlifters get stronger from not ever training to failure? i
know for a fact, no powerlifter would attempt a one rep failure max
during regular training. pro bodybuilders, however, are a different
story, i think they always train to failure. hmmm.. so does one's
choice of training to failure depend on whether one is purely into
strength gains or size gains? but, shouldn't size gains come from
strength gains anyway?
- clueless

I think there are powerlifters who will sometimes attempt a max lift.
They don't do it weekly necessarily or even monthly, but I don't think
they go through years of training without attempting a max lift (in
training).

Old March 30th 05, 08:08 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Christian Lee wrote:

How often should I lift to failure? I think I remember reading in Muscle
and Fitness it was recommended only once or twice a week.

I life to failure on the last set of _every_ set of lifts.
I've never injured myself doing that either, and I have a spotter
for the lifts where I cannot safely lower the weight to the floor or
stops (such as bench presses).

Gives a lovely pump. ;-)
--
Om.

Old March 30th 05, 11:02 AM
Stephen Mulholland

Christian Lee wrote:
How often should I lift to failure? I think I remember reading in

Muscle
and Fitness it was recommended only once or twice a week.

I lift to failure only once in a blue moon, usually at the end of a
training cycle when I'm near or at my limit and even then it's only for
one (the last) set of a particular lift, OR when I'm trying for a new
1RM. Well, trying and failing, that is!

Stephen

Old March 30th 05, 09:20 PM
sculptorOfFlesh

a pro bodybuilder once told me to _ALWAYS_ train to failure. those last
few reps are the ones responsible for turning on the ***growth
factor***. maybe he just had a different definition of training to
failure.

why would the same stimulus elicit different and greater response in
the muscle tissue anyway? makes sense to train to failure every time.

from what i've read on this forum (do a search for "failure") few
people advocate training to failure. ever.

who the hell knows really.

Old March 30th 05, 11:46 PM
Justin Case

On 30 Mar 2005 11:20:41 -0800, "sculptorOfFlesh"
wrote:

a pro bodybuilder once told me to _ALWAYS_ train to failure. those last
few reps are the ones responsible for turning on the ***growth
factor***. maybe he just had a different definition of training to
failure.

That's BB'ing myth. Consistent training with increasing loads &
intensity makes you grow.

why would the same stimulus elicit different and greater response in
the muscle tissue anyway? makes sense to train to failure every time.

from what i've read on this forum (do a search for "failure") few
people advocate training to failure. ever.

who the hell knows really.

Anyone who's spents some time training knows what end results they see
in their own bodies. I can't explain the science behind it but I know
what's worked for me.
You should try training either way for while and form your opinon
based on that. How else are you to decide which is right or wrong (or
more right or less wrong) when anyone can dig up scads of information
on either side of the argument.

Old March 31st 05, 12:16 AM
David Cohen

"Justin Case" wrote
"sculptorOfFlesh" wrote:

a pro bodybuilder once told me to _ALWAYS_ train to failure. those last
few reps are the ones responsible for turning on the ***growth
factor***. maybe he just had a different definition of training to
failure.

That's BB'ing myth. Consistent training with increasing loads &
intensity makes you grow.

There is some physiological justification for training to failure, for some
percent of training time, for the hypertrophy goals of bodybuilders.

That doesn't change that fact that Mr Flesh is a blithering idiot or a
troll. If he starts to appear serious, and not a troll, we got an IOM for
sure.

thoughts on these routines? Michael Weights 10 August 27th 04 05:54 PM
Pain-free failure? Matt Shepherd Weights 12 March 12th 04 11:32 PM
1 set to failure COBLGP Weights 18 November 7th 03 03:46 AM
Proper bench press technique Ted Theodoropoulos Weights 52 September 19th 03 08:11 PM