Hi, there!

Old September 17th 06, 07:46 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc
m-ma

Default Hi, there!

Lets start fitness program now!

Old September 23rd 06, 06:43 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc
fifie

m-ma wrote:
Lets start fitness program now!

Hi, m-ma
Can you give me tips on fat loss?

Old September 23rd 06, 07:02 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc
[email protected]

fifie wrote:
m-ma wrote:
Lets start fitness program now!

Hi, m-ma
Can you give me tips on fat loss?

ok. Here are the tips:-
1) Train With Weights

Working out with weights when trying to lose
body fat has numerous important benefits. First,
an intense weight training session burns calories
during the actual workout. Second, an extremely
important benefit is that intense weight training
elevates your metabolism for up to 39 hours after
your actual workout. In other words, because of
the intense weight workout, your metabolism has
been stimulated where you are now burning more
calories while you are doing nothing.

Carbohydrates power intense weight training
sessions. The more intense the session, the
more you deplete your carbohydrate stores and
the more fat is burned during the recovery
phase, i.e. after the workout. In other words,
as the intensity of the training increases
there is a proportionate increase in fat burning
after the workout.

One study showed that 15 exercise sessions per
month (50 minute sessions at 50 percent of
oxygen uptake) could lead to an extra 2 plus
pounds per month of fat loss, strictly from
the elevated metabolism and extra calories
burned - while doing nothing! That's an extra
26 pounds plus, of fat burned per year.

Another extremely important aspect of fat
loss that occurs from training with weights
is adding leas muscle to your body. Lean muscle
is "metabolically active", i.e., muscle burns
calories even while doing nothing. So, the more
lean muscle you have, the higher your resting
metabolism and the more calories you burn each
day while doing nothing.

Studies have estimated that for each pound of
muscle that you add to your body, you burn another
35 to 50 calories per day while doing nothing.
So, an extra 10 pounds of muscle will burn
approximately 350 to 500 calories a day, or an
extra pound of fat every 7 to 10 days, without
making any other changes.

This is essential to taking off the fat and
keeping it off. You see, when you add muscle
to your body, you greatly increase the number
of calories your burn each day. So, once you
achieve your fat loss goals you can start eating
more food without putting the fat back on, as
long as you have built muscle!

On the flip side, if you don't train with weights
while dieting and losing weight, two very bad
things will occur. First, at least half of the
weight you lose will be muscle. And this causes
number two, which is that your metabolism gets
slower, causing progress to eventually grind to
a halt, leading to gaining all the weight back
and more.

As you can see, training with weights is an
extremely powerful and necessary component of
any successful weight loss program.

2) Drink More Water

I know, I know, we've all heard this one over
and over again. But how many of us really drink
enough water? I'm talking at least 10 8 ounce
glasses of water a day, minimum. You should
really try to take in a full gallon of water
each day.

Why, you ask? Let me count the ways. First of
all, our bodies are over 70% water. That should
tell you something right there. And you all
know that you can go much longer without food
than you can without water. The body needs a
lot of water in order to maintain its daily
functions efficiently. In addition, water
helps to flush out harmful toxins, as well
as prime the body for fat loss.

If your body isn't getting enough water, it
does everything it can to hold on to the water
it does have. The problem with this, is the way
it holds onto the water. You see, over 70% of
your muscle is made up of water. It helps to
give your muscles that full, pumped look (along
with glycogen).

However, if your body is not taking in enough
water, that water is used for other things,
leaving you bloated. And the way to get rid of
that excess water, believe it or not, is to
take in enough water. This will rid you of that
excess water weigh that bloats you, and begin
to help your body run more efficiently and priming
it to begin dropping body fat.

Once you begin taking in enough water, your body
starts dropping weight, possibly 4 or 5 pounds
in the first week. Now, this is mostly water
weight. However, doing so does optimizes your
bodily functions, allowing it to run more
efficiently and start burning stored body fat
for energy.

Here's another little trick you can use. Instead
of just drinking water, begin drinking ice cold
water. You see, there is a metabolic cost to
eating. In other words, the digestion of food,
as you'll read about in the next tip, takes
calories. Well, so does drinking ice cold water.

The body needs to heat up this water in order
to be able to use it properly and doing so takes
energy, i.e., calories. You can burn another
50 to 100 calories a day by drinking one half
gallon to a gallon of ice cold water per day.
It doesn't seem like much. However, in addition
to all the other benefits of taking in enough
water, by drinking ice cold water, you can drop
almost a full pound of fat each month, or 12
pounds per year. Not too bad, if you ask me.

3) Eat 6 Meals A Day

Meal Frequency (i.e., the number of meals you
eat each day) could be the most important aspect
of your nutrition program. If you do this right
you will build muscle, burn fat, and with a proper
resistance training program, be well on your way
to achieving the body of your dreams.

But first, I must burst your bubble. What you
are about to read isn't sexy, it's not exotic,
secret, or the uncovering of some super Eastern
European nutrition system that led to tons of
gold medals in weight lifting. I'm also not going
to tout some super juice, or specific vegetable
that you need to eat outrageous quantities of in
order to achieve your goals.

What it is, is sound advice that works. Do this
correctly, and you will be well on your way to
fitness nirvana. The thing is, most people know
about it, yet few actually follow through with
it and put it into action.

I admit to being one of them. I've always been
in "good" shape from playing sports, working out
with weights and eating right. However, I was
in "good" shape and not "great" shape because
I did things right about 75% of the time.

I ate 6 meals a day, most of the time. I
consumed enough protein in each meal, most
of the time. I worked out and worked out
intensely enough, most of the time. Why is
that, you might wonder. Well, I'm glad you
asked. You see, it takes motivation, persistence,
planning, and a little bit of sacrifice.
Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Don't worry,
it's not. But as I've stated before, nothing
worth achieving comes easy. Don't get me wrong,
it is simple, it's just not easy. But it can
be pretty painless, if you have the right mindset.

So, what is it, already? Okay, okay, here you
go. Eat six meals a day. No excuses, no exceptions,
no nothing. Just do it. I told you it was simple.
You might be ready to toss me in the trash because
you already know such obvious advice. But let me
ask you this, how many consecutive days have you
eaten six nutritious meals? If you are like most
people. probably not many.

So if you know it's an extremely important part
of achieving your goals and building the body
you want, why aren't you doing it more often?
I think one reason is that those of us in the
industry have failed in hammering home the
absolute importance of eating six meals a day.
Sure, we say it, but if so few people are
doing it, we must not be stating our case very
well.

Reason number two is making sure you are
eating six proper, nutritious meals a day
takes work. It takes a time commitment, among
other sacrifices. And it's not just the time
it takes to make the meals, or the time to
eat them. It also involves other aspects of
your life.

For example, socializing, going shopping,
playing sports on the weekends, etc. If you
eat six times a day, you need to eat every 2
or 3 hours, tops. What are you going to do,
sit home all day every day so you can be near
your food? Of course not. But you will need
to plan ahead. This could mean shopping and
then cooking most of your food once a week,
putting each meal in a microwaveable container,
and then carrying meals to work with you.

You may need to invest in a high quality
thermos (or two or three) and make your favorite
protein shakes to take with you when you are
going to be out and about for a while, or bringing
some protein bars with you instead. You may
also need to withstand comments from friends
and family. In our culture today, most social
functions center around food - thanksgiving,
Christmas, Easter, even labor day and memorial
day are times to get together with friends for
a cookout.

Sure, you may be able to eat some of the food
available. Even so, you most likely will be
around long enough for at least one other meal,
in which you will need to be prepared with
something you brought with you. This may require
turning down the food offered and whipping
out a protein bar, thus dealing with the
questions and comments, usually negative,
that will most likely arise. And hey, how many
of us have the well meaning mother or grandmother
that assures us we are too skinny, we must
eat more, offers us everything in site, and just
won't take a polite no thank you for an answer?

I know, eating right may not be easy, but it
is necessary if you truly want to achieve your
best body, and in the shortest amount of time
possible. I've given my lecture on the necessity
of eating six times a day. Now let's talk about
what this can actually do for you in terms of
achieving your muscle building and fat burning goals.

Our genetics haven't really changed during our
existence. Initially, food was very difficult
to come by and our ancestors never knew when
they were going to be getting their next meal.
It was only natural that our bodies became very
efficient at storing excess calories just in
case they were needed at a later time in order
to fend off starvation.

That was great back then. It helped keep many
people alive. Now, however, when our next meal
is a phone call or fast food restaurant away,
it's not so good. Especially since those calories
are stored as ugly body fat. Do any of us really
want to look like a bear on the verge of hibernation?
I think it's safe to say that the answer to that
question is no.

This is one of the reasons for eating six meals
a day. In general, there are three things that
can lead our bodies to storing calories as fat.
One would be to consume a very large meal. This
alerts our body to the fact that this could very
well be our last meal for a long time to come,
so we better preserve as many calories as we can
(as body fat, of course) just in case our next
meal doesn't come for a long time.

The next reason is going too long between meals.
Again, this kicks in our bodies "starvation"
mode and it stores calories as fat because it's
not sure when it will be getting its next meal.
A third reason would be a sudden and severe
restriction in daily calorie consumption. Just
like going too long between meals, this kicks
the "starvation" mode into action, causing the
storage of body fat.

Now, what do most people do when they decide
they need to lose weight and go on a diet?
Correct, they severely restrict calories as
well as going a long time between each meal.
This may work at first but eventually causes
the exact opposite result that they are looking
to accomplish. Their metabolism slows down and
they start storing fat, even on so few calories
a day.

Add to this mix, that most people who diet
don't add weight training to their program and
you have a real recipe for disaster. Without
adding weight training, at least half of the
weight lost will be muscle, not fat, which slows
down your metabolism even more.

If you restrict your calories too severely,
even if you are weight training, a good percentage
of your weight lost will be muscle, as your body
doesn't have enough calories to sustain the
muscle it has, let alone build new muscle. This
also goes for going too long between meals.
If your body goes too long between meals, not
getting the necessary calories, protein, and
other nutrients, it goes into a catabolic state.
In other words, it starts eating your muscle
for energy. This would slow down your metabolism,
leading to the storage of more Body fat. It's a
vicious cycle.

In addition, anyone who severely restricts
calories and goes a long time between meals
will hit upon the first reason - eating an
excessively large meal, otherwise known in
diet speak as binging. And most of these calories
will go straight to being stored as body fat.

A study published in Metabolism (Karbowsa, J.,
et al. [2001] "Increase of lipogenic enzyme
mRNA levels in rat white adipose tissue after
multiple cycles of starvation/refeeding.
50:734-738.) looked at this very same issue
using animals. The study showed that cycles
of starvation and refeeding (i.e., binging)
led to an upgrade of lipogenic enzymes.
These enzymes promote body fat synthesis.
We possess these same lipogenic enzymes. So,
if you want to lose body fat or keep off the
fat you've lost, don't starve yourself. If
you do that, you are only going to binge,
leading you to put the fat back on.

Now, how do you avoid these mistakes? You
eat smaller, more frequent meals. If you eat
every two or three hours, always having a
prepared nutritious meal, shake or bar handy,
you are much less likely to binge. By not
severely restricting calories and adding
weight training, you will lose body fat, not
muscle, thereby not only preventing your
metabolism from slowing down, but also speeding
up your metabolism due to the added muscle
from the weight training.

4) Eat More Protein

Yes, it's important to keep your protein
intake high when dieting to make sure that
you don't burn off any muscle tissue in your
quest to get ripped. But that's not what I'm
talking about. I'm talking about taking in
protein in order to boost your metabolism and
burn more fat, in addition to helping preserve
and build your lean muscle tissue.

In a study published in the American Journal
of Physiology, one group was fed a high protein
diet (just over one gram per pound of bodyweight
per day) while the second group consumed a
protein diet near equal to that of the RDA.

The group eating the high protein diet burned
more fat than the group consuming protein near
equal to the RDA. One reason for this could be
an increased "thermic" effect. The thermic
effect of the RDA group was elevated 16% after
eating. However, in the high protein group the
thermic effect increased 42% after eating,
almost 3 times that of the RDA group.

This thermic effect of digesting your food
peaks approximately one hour after eating.
Spreading your daily caloric intake over 6
meals a day, eating every 2 to 3 hours, helps
to take advantage of the increased metabolic
rate that accompanies eating. In other words,
the more often you eat, the higher your
metabolic rate, i.e. the number of calories
your body burns each day.

In addition, by adding more protein to each
meal, you also increase your metabolism.
Your body requires more energy (i.e. calories)
to process protein than it does to digest
carbohydrates. Do you understand what that
means? Think about it. Think about all those
people and so called experts that have
continually said that a calorie is a calorie.

THIS SIMPLY IS NOT TRUE! Your body's metabolic
rate is affected by the number of meals you
eat, the frequency of those meals (how much
time passes between each meal consumed) and
the macro nutrient composition of those meals.

A calorie is not simply a calorie and they
are not equal.

Depending on the number of meals, frequency
of meals, and macro nutrient composition of
meals, the same person's metabolism will be
different on two very different meals plans,
EVEN IF THE TOTAL NUMBER OF CALORIES ARE THE
SAME!