squats and flat feet

Old August 1st 04, 05:08 PM

Default squats and flat feet

Serious question:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Mindless musing:

It's strange...nobody at the gym I go to squat anymore...years ago
you'd be able to HEAR the gym before you got to it from the grunting
sounds coming from the squat cage. Nowadays the squat cage is being
used for chin-ups and the bar is being used as any other barbell...

Old August 1st 04, 06:33 PM
Jay

"G" wrote in message
Serious question:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Mindless musing:

It's strange...nobody at the gym I go to squat anymore...years ago
you'd be able to HEAR the gym before you got to it from the grunting
sounds coming from the squat cage. Nowadays the squat cage is being
used for chin-ups and the bar is being used as any other barbell...

social metrosexualization

Old August 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
Jeff Finlayson

G wrote:

Serious question:
Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Get a pair lifting shoes (applies others too). You may need to
wear arch supporters.

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Did you get foot problems or what?
Old August 3rd 04, 04:27 AM

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:07:26 GMT, Jeff Finlayson
wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Get a pair lifting shoes (applies others too). You may need to
wear arch supporters.

Thanks. Will search for them. I've found arch supporters to be
painfully restrictive though..

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Did you get foot problems or what?

Yup. My feet hurt...I took up swimming as an aerobic activity instead.
However age seems to be catching up and I'm finding that swimming
doesn't seem to (is it supposed to?) work as well in burning fat.

So...I'm thinking about going back to running as well...but then I've
noticed that now my right knee and feet hurt when I run...(used to be
just the feet).

Sorry for rambling like this...this probably fits more in some injury
newsgroup.

Old August 3rd 04, 03:53 PM
Jeff Finlayson

G wrote:
Jeff Finlayson wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Get a pair lifting shoes (applies others too). You may need to
wear arch supporters.

Thanks. Will search for them. I've found arch supporters to be
painfully restrictive though..

Try different ones out. Maybe you can find less painful ones.

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Did you get foot problems or what?

Yup. My feet hurt...I took up swimming as an aerobic activity instead.
However age seems to be catching up and I'm finding that swimming
doesn't seem to (is it supposed to?) work as well in burning fat.

So...I'm thinking about going back to running as well...but then I've
noticed that now my right knee and feet hurt when I run...(used to be
just the feet).

Try riding a bike or something else then.

Sorry for rambling like this...this probably fits more in some injury
newsgroup.

Naw, this is lifting related and there's Misc in misc.fitness.weights.

Old August 4th 04, 08:15 AM
Gary

Jeff Finlayson wrote in message ...

Try different ones out. Maybe you can find less painful ones.

Already spent enough on them to fund a private missle defense program. Gave up.

Try riding a bike or something else then.

Bike = knee pain
Run = foot and knee pain
Swim = shoulder pain

I should just roll over and die...
Fortunately there's:

Weights = strengthening muscles to compensate for weak or worn joints

Sorry for rambling like this...this probably fits more in some injury
newsgroup.

Naw, this is lifting related and there's Misc in misc.fitness.weights.

Ahh, I feel justified now.
Old August 6th 04, 06:19 PM
bc

wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Get a pair lifting shoes (applies others too). You may need to
wear arch supporters.

Thanks. Will search for them. I've found arch supporters to be
painfully restrictive though..

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Did you get foot problems or what?

Yup. My feet hurt...I took up swimming as an aerobic activity instead.
However age seems to be catching up and I'm finding that swimming
doesn't seem to (is it supposed to?) work as well in burning fat.

Swimming usually isn't considered a great fat burner. Here's the
first reference I found when checking in PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=3618879

Now, admittedly, that study compared minimally to moderately obese
young women walking, cycling, and swimming for an hour, whereas, if
you chose to swim really friggin hard, doing sprints or whatever, you
might get different results. You would think that the body's efforts
to keep warm would burn calories, but I believe some acclimatization
takes place over time to offset that to some degree.

I suspect the lack of resistance and the full-body support of the
water means that your muscles just aren't working that hard if you
swim at a comfortable long distance pace.

That said, I do remember one summer years ago when I was in college.
I swam a mile after work 3 times a week before dinner and I was
ravenous. Probably, if I'd spent the same amount of time running or
biking, I would have been just as hungry too. Plus, I was a kid and I
was always hungry.

- bc
Old August 6th 04, 06:34 PM
Lee Michaels

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message

wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any issues with squatting with flat
feet? Are there any things that I should look out for?

Get a pair lifting shoes (applies others too). You may need to
wear arch supporters.

Thanks. Will search for them. I've found arch supporters to be
painfully restrictive though..

Yes, I have flat feet and am thinking of going back to squatting...I
used to do it years ago before I found out I had flat feet...

Did you get foot problems or what?

Yup. My feet hurt...I took up swimming as an aerobic activity instead.
However age seems to be catching up and I'm finding that swimming
doesn't seem to (is it supposed to?) work as well in burning fat.

Swimming usually isn't considered a great fat burner.

Only by morons. Competition swimmers are typically 8-10% bodyfat.

The problem with the swimming and weight loss studies is non-control of
diet. Cold water/swimming tends to ramp up appetite moreso than other
activities which means people tend to eat more, cancelling out the
effects of teh exercise.

I suspect the lack of resistance and the full-body support of the
water means that your muscles just aren't working that hard if you
swim at a comfortable long distance pace.

the inefficiency of humans in water more than makes up for this.

The swimming thing is interesting in that a lot of folks I have read are
always dismissing swimming as a legitimate exercise becasue they can't make
the numbers work like other land based exercise. The one myth I have heard
and read over and over again is that swimming is ineffective for cardio
because you can't get your heart rate up there like you can with running,
biking, etc.

This is so retarded. One of the reasons the heart rate goes up is to aid in
cooling. Being in water that is cooler than clothes will automatically cool
you. Thus the heart rate doesn't have to be as high to cool you. You are
swimming in coolant!!

It doesn't mean you are not getting some cardio benefit out of it. Of
course, skill does come into the equation as well. But even unskilled
swimmers can get an effective cardio workout.

Old August 6th 04, 06:37 PM
Lyle McDonald

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message

the inefficiency of humans in water more than makes up for this.

The swimming thing is interesting in that a lot of folks I have read are
always dismissing swimming as a legitimate exercise becasue they can't make
the numbers work like other land based exercise. The one myth I have heard
and read over and over again is that swimming is ineffective for cardio
because you can't get your heart rate up there like you can with running,
biking, etc.

This is so retarded. One of the reasons the heart rate goes up is to aid in
cooling. Being in water that is cooler than clothes will automatically cool
you. Thus the heart rate doesn't have to be as high to cool you. You are
swimming in coolant!!

Yes, heart rates are typically 10 beats or more lower in the water for
the same oxygen uptake.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the across the board equation
of heart rate with oxygen uptake (weight lifters make the same mistake,
assume a high HR = high oxygen uptake/CV activity).

The HR/Oxygen uptake relationship is geenrally linear (within a certain
range) but there are numerous exceptions.

It doesn't mean you are not getting some cardio benefit out of it. Of
course, skill does come into the equation as well. But even unskilled
swimmers can get an effective cardio workout.

If anything, they get more of a workout, they are having to work harder
for the same work output. That's what efficiency means.

Lyle

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats Renee Weights 14 June 15th 04 06:53 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Bench Squats, squat technique Brian Link Weights 30 October 7th 03 05:49 PM