A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

(Re)Starting out

Old November 4th 12, 11:09 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Nov 2012
Default (Re)Starting out

Hi guys,

Really glad to have found this place and look forward to hopefully getting some useful feedback from far more knowledgeable folks than myself. Very long story short I have been unable to exercise AT ALL (aside from up and down stairs but not sure that really counts) for about a year. I'm a 30 year old male, 6'2" and 154 pounds. Prior to stopping i was reasonably fit and was lucky enough to work in a job that kept me on my feet for 12-14 hours at a time.

What i would like to do is ease myself into some sort of exercise routine with the goal of establishing general fitness. At the moment even walking to the shops and back (0.5 miles) leaves me knackered(!) I'm not too fussed on physique or bulking up, i've always been a bit wiry and can't really imagine getting huge and hulking would do anything other than require a whole new wardrobe. If anyone has, or knows where i can find, advice on how to ease myself into a routine that would allow me to rebuild fitness that would be great.

I should probably say please feel free to be as patronising as you like, i'm a complete novice (hence my being here in the first place!)

Sorry if this isn't enough info or if i've posted in the wrong place! thanks.

Last edited by retiredliontamer : November 4th 12 at 11:13 PM.
Old November 6th 12, 05:28 AM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Nov 2012

If you are 6'2" 154lbs you aren't going to bulk up without serious eating/lifting/drugs, so don't worry about that.

Your best bet is to make sure you are eating well, 4 or 5 small meals spaced every few hours throughout the day. Each should contain good protein (chicken, fish, egg whites, or protein powder), and carbs like sweet potato's, veggies and whole grains. Avoid eating junk like processed foods and foods high in salt, sugar or fat. If you want to put on some weight, aim for about 2,700-3,000 calories per day. Don't skip any meals and drink lots of water.

Once your diet is set, you need to exercise. If you can get to a gym, you should focus on compound exercise's (one's that work several muscle groups at once) such as bench presses, squats, and row's. Don't do too much at first - ease your way into it. Use good form. If you don't know anything about exercises or good form, check out a site like bodybuilding.com.

If you can't get to a gym, then do pushups, situps, and unweighted squats.

Do not exercise more than 3 times per week, 1 hour per session. You can increase your workload as time goes on, but start slow. Learn what you are doing and how your body responds.

Lastly, don't stop the aerobic activity. Sounds like you get some walking to work. You can make it harder by walking faster or with weights in your hands.

I hope this helps a little. I could go on forever, but the most important thing for you to do is take action. Get moving, eat healthy, and you will build a solid foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredliontamer View Post
Hi guys,

Really glad to have found this place and look forward to hopefully getting some useful feedback from far more knowledgeable folks than myself. Very long story short I have been unable to exercise AT ALL (aside from up and down stairs but not sure that really counts) for about a year. I'm a 30 year old male, 6'2" and 154 pounds. Prior to stopping i was reasonably fit and was lucky enough to work in a job that kept me on my feet for 12-14 hours at a time.

What i would like to do is ease myself into some sort of exercise routine with the goal of establishing general fitness. At the moment even walking to the shops and back (0.5 miles) leaves me knackered(!) I'm not too fussed on physique or bulking up, i've always been a bit wiry and can't really imagine getting huge and hulking would do anything other than require a whole new wardrobe. If anyone has, or knows where i can find, advice on how to ease myself into a routine that would allow me to rebuild fitness that would be great.

I should probably say please feel free to be as patronising as you like, i'm a complete novice (hence my being here in the first place!)

Sorry if this isn't enough info or if i've posted in the wrong place! thanks.