cramps in arms while sleeping

Old July 21st 03, 03:46 PM
Neil P

Default cramps in arms while sleeping

ok ... been mostly a cardio person for the last 2 years with light
weights. from june on this year i started heavy weights along with
forearms, plus protein shake once a day. have been noticing that at
nights in both arms they would cramp up on me, OK i understand this can
happen if i sleep on the said hand .... but i tried sleeping on my back
with my arms on my chest or my side and the same thing ... they fall
asleep with me too

is this a pre-sign of CP? or the heavy weights with the wrist curl for
forearms? or from the shrugs?

just checking to see info out there, of course should this continue will
see my doctor. it is so strange that the cramping started the same time
with the protein shake and heavy weights.

i take a 50 g, no fat, no sugar 25g carb shake.

thanks,
neil

Old July 21st 03, 10:03 PM
Sarah Jane

"ignorcrew" wrote in message
om...
Neil P wrote in message

ok ... been mostly a cardio person for the last 2 years with light
weights. from june on this year i started heavy weights along with
forearms, plus protein shake once a day. have been noticing that at
nights in both arms they would cramp up on me, OK i understand this can
happen if i sleep on the said hand .... but i tried sleeping on my back
with my arms on my chest or my side and the same thing ... they fall
asleep with me too

is this a pre-sign of CP? or the heavy weights with the wrist curl for
forearms? or from the shrugs?

just checking to see info out there, of course should this continue will
see my doctor. it is so strange that the cramping started the same time
with the protein shake and heavy weights.

i take a 50 g, no fat, no sugar 25g carb shake.

thanks,
nei

I am really having trouble with your English (none-native speaker I
hope?).

Heh.

Anyway, cramps and arms falling asleep is not the same thing in my
book.

They're not the same thing, but they can have the same causes.

If the arms fall asleep (feel numb) you are having problems with
the pinching of the nerves in your neck.

Really? Necessarily? You don't think electrolyte imbalances can cause
numbness and/or tingling?

If it's cramps, however, try more water and bananas (you are short on
electrolytes)

So potassium is the only electrolyte you need to prevent cramps?

as well as stretching at the end of the workout.

Oh yeah, that'll help the electrolyte imbalance.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:05 PM
ignorcrew

"Sarah Jane" wrote in message ...
"ignorcrew" wrote in message
om...
Neil P wrote in message

[...]

Likely. He is not running for hours, is he? It looks like the OP added
some heavy weight exercises to his normal routine. So wouldn't a
pinched nerve be a better guess?

You don't think electrolyte imbalances can cause
numbness and/or tingling?

If it's cramps, however, try more water and bananas (you are short on
electrolytes)

So potassium is the only electrolyte you need to prevent cramps?

Again, he is not running for hours. If bananas and water don't do the
trick, he can go for the whole shabang (ie Gatorade). A lot of times
the bananas would be sufficient.

as well as stretching at the end of the workout.

Oh yeah, that'll help the electrolyte imbalance.

It's not the same mechanism. Stretching muscles prevents cramping and
has nothing to do with electrolyte imbalance.

I know, it was a ****ty advice. But yours was much better, right?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:25 PM
Sarah Jane

"ignorcrew" wrote in message
om...
"Sarah Jane" wrote in message

"ignorcrew" wrote in message
om...
Neil P wrote in message

[...]

What does that have to do with anything?

It looks like the OP added
some heavy weight exercises to his normal routine. So wouldn't a
pinched nerve be a better guess?

No. For one thing, minor calcium and/or magnesium deficiencies are very
common and could cause cramping, numbness, and tingling. Furthermore, the
fact that the problem occurs in both arms would seem to me to indicate that
a pinched nerve is much less likely.

You don't think electrolyte imbalances can cause
numbness and/or tingling?

If it's cramps, however, try more water and bananas (you are short on
electrolytes)

So potassium is the only electrolyte you need to prevent cramps?

Again, he is not running for hours.

Again, what does that have to do with anything?

If bananas and water don't do the
trick, he can go for the whole shabang (ie Gatorade). A lot of times
the bananas would be sufficient.

Gatorade won't help if it's a cal/mag issue. A cal/mag supplement is a
better idea.

I know, it was a ****ty advice. But yours was much better, right?

See above.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:52 PM
Neil P

why is it only occurring when i sleep if it is a pinched nerve? and not all day
or hurting or uncomfortable all day. why just fall sleep at nights. by the way
i do work out after work around 6 at nights and go to bed at 10.

i take my daily ultra mega men tablet plus, iron, calcium, vitamin C supplements
daily.

neil

Old July 22nd 03, 08:22 PM
Sarah Jane

"Neil P" wrote in message
why is it only occurring when i sleep if it is a pinched nerve? and not

all day
or hurting or uncomfortable all day. why just fall sleep at nights.

It's probably not a pinched nerve.

i take my daily ultra mega men tablet plus, iron, calcium, vitamin C

supplements
daily.

How much magnesium is in that "ultra mega"? Try taking about half as much
magnesium as you do calcium. Typical amounts would be 800/400 mg or 1000/500
daily. And if that doesn't work, it may be time to see a doctor.

neil