20 years ?

Old April 13th 15, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

Default 20 years ?

On 12/04/2015 21:36, Tim Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:27:21 +0100, Graham Seed wrote...

What happened to Paul then? Real life?

I recall that he dropped out quite some time ago, having had enough
of the banter at the time.
Old April 13th 15, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Broadback[_3_]

On 12/04/2015 20:25, Chris Gilbert wrote:
He he. Good to see some farmiliar names

Bob, I think the group was created in March/April 1995. I know I
was still working at Nottingham at the time. The early stuff used to
still be in Deja news but Google Groups - where all the Deja stuff
went - doesn't seem to list it anymore but, yes, I think you are right
- I am old

If Martin Richardson is still around I'm pretty sure he is probably
the longest serving inmate. I think he beat me to joining by a couple
of hours Pete, I think you and Graham joined about the same
time. It will be interesting to see if anyone else checks in. Phil might
still be hanging around somewhere.

Chris

Many thanks to Chris for this post, it has woken uk.r.walking up!
Old April 13th 15, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson[_2_]

Default Waterfall Country

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 15:23:42 +0100, David B wrote...

I have emailed you a nice little map (not very detailed) but I found it very
useful on my first visit.

Thanks David. I have replied.

--
Tim Jackson
lid
Old April 15th 15, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Nick Maclaren[_3_]

In article ,
Chris Gilbert wrote:

Roll call.... ?

And, of course, Angus! How could we have forgotten our resident
jester?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old April 15th 15, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

He he. Nice one, Martin !

On 13/04/2015 23:40, Martin Richardson wrote:
Hello all
I had no idea 20 years ago I would still be walking up hills - and certainly not the world over. Was here from the days when walkers and climbers shared uk.rec.climbing (you-arsey).
I still got the cap.

Sent from Wellington airport, on way to Jakarta to bag some Javan volcanoes.

Martin R

Old April 15th 15, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

But you're still going, Gordon Inspirational

On 14/04/2015 10:51, Gordon H wrote:
At 81, I'm down to a Ramblers 'D' group.

Old April 15th 15, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

A pleasure. It's great to see so many farmiliar names still kicking around
*and* still following the occasional post in here. I'm as guilty as
anyone else
of not posting anything but I felt that the mark should be acknowledged

Old April 15th 15, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

He lives forever in my kill file but I must admit I did wonder how he
voted in the referendum. Given that mountaineering is so important
to the Scots I can imagine a future independant Scotland keeping
SAR services free to taxpaying folk participating in the hills,as it
currently is.....

Old April 15th 15, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 15/04/2015 12:35, Chris Gilbert wrote:
He he. Nice one, Martin !

On 13/04/2015 23:40, Martin Richardson wrote:
Hello all
I had no idea 20 years ago I would still be walking up hills - and
certainly not the world over. Was here from the days when walkers and
climbers shared uk.rec.climbing (you-arsey).
I still got the cap.

Sent from Wellington airport, on way to Jakarta to bag some Javan
volcanoes.

Martin R

He'll never get them through Customs on the way back...

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old May 1st 15, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Pierre Lavaurs

Le Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:19:19 +0100, Chris Gilbert a √©crit¬*:

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris

I had not visited this newsgroup (no newsgroup at all indeed) for
probably ten years, and I was curious to see if it was still alive. I
just had the idea today to check who is still alive : a lot of more or
less remembered names I meet, I am alive too !

Not feeling too old (52 years now), and still walking - I have now walked
more than 1900 days and 40000 km. Here are the details as long as they
concern Britain, for whoever might be amused by them.

My walk towards Scotland is now continuous from Madrid to Fort William
(Channel crossing not included :-)), last visit there in 2010. Waiting
for some long spell of good weather to keep walking towards Inverness
(Great Glen Way is the scheduled program) but maybe never... It is
becoming somehow tricky to get quickly so far from Lyon using public
transportation.

My walk towards NW Wales was completed in summer 2013 - I was there when
the royal baby was born. My longer consecutive walk ever, and my most
recent in Britain : 14 days of good weather, of course Wales is always
sunny... (for whoever might be curious to know where I stopped, the day
breaks were the following : 1 - Ebbw Vale to Storey Arms center - went to
sleep in Merthyr Tydfil by bus ; 2 - Storey Arms to Glyntawe ; 3 -
Glyntawe to Llandovery ; 4 - Llandovery to the middle of nowhere -
pitched my tent near the broken telephone booth at SN 762 576 and had my
first serious experience with midges there ; 5 - from this place to
Devil's Bridge ; 6 - from Devil's Bridge to Glaslyn ; 7 - from Glaslyn to
Macchinleth ; 8 - from Macchinleth to Kings Youth Hostel ; 9 - from Kings
Youth Hostel to (the surroundings of) Harlech ; 10 - from (the
surroundings of) Harlech to Beddgelert ; 11 - from Beddgelert to
Llanberis ; 12 - from Llanberis to Mermaid's Inn (slept under my tent
there also) ; 13 - from Mermaid's Inn to Rhosneigr ; 14 - from Rhosneigr
to South stack lightouse - end of the journey). Including the extreme
nights, that is thirteen nights in hotels or B and Bs vs. only two under
my tent, I am getting old in this sense... These 14 days close a
consecutive walk from southern Corsica to Wales, maybe I'll keep walking
it one day in Ireland, this is very unlikely.

Also walked most of the SW Coast path (the north side from Land's End to
Minehead, keeping walking to Exeter and Exmouth, then the SWCP again to
Poole and a bit further to the southern tip of the Isle of Wight, then it
keeps going to central Switzerland, with Slovenia as an aim ; the south
side from Land's End to Start Point - then it goes through Channel
Islands through most of France towards Italian Alps with Liguria as an
aim).

There are still some projects through Britain : one would be to walk
Offa's Dyke southwards, then cross the Bristol Channel at Chepstow and
keep walking to the bill of Portland ; another would begin at the bill of
Portland north-eastwards towards Warwickshire and further, I don't know
exactly where ; a third would be to walk eastern England beginning with
East Anglia coast but I have first to walk through the Netherlands till I
meet Northern Sea, this is for later. But life is short, so I shall
certainly have to leave some of these plans aside...

60 years old Scott[_5_] Running 51 August 13th 08 03:09 PM
Been gone three years download.com Weights 20 May 27th 07 03:49 AM
75 years old........ Bob116 Weights 7 April 12th 05 02:34 PM
D-Day +60 years Tabers8 Weights 2 June 7th 04 07:51 AM
This guy is 14 years old? Steven C Weights 15 May 22nd 04 07:58 PM