using walking for permanent weight loss advice needed

Old March 3rd 04, 07:30 AM
Rick Johnston

Default using walking for permanent weight loss advice needed

Five years ago, I started a walking program. From almost the first week,
the walking was extremely intense, especially for someone who was 75 pounds
overweight. However, I lost the weight within 6 months BUT 3 years ago
gained it all back and then some because I switched jobs and couldn't find
time to walk.

I need to start a new walking program and I am seeking advice as to how I
should proceed. I am a 33 year old male of medium build, with a weight of
275 pounds. I should weigh 190 lbs. The last time I did my intense walking
program, I often felt so weak afterwards that is took hours before I could
do anything else. I lost weight quickly, along with vitamins and water. In
fact, dehydration happened so fast that it was the cause of my weakness. Of
course, I really wasn't working at the time so the weakness didn't matter
although it was uncomfortable at times. This time, I want to start a
similar program, but I'm wondering how intensity works. For example, my
walking program 5 years ago consisted of 5.5 mph walking for 45 minutes, 5
days a week. HR would average 175 bpm and declined somewhat as I lost
weight. This time though, I want to decrease the intensity as I'm older and
more concerned about health, plus I'm working full time. So, if I decreased
my HR to 145- 150, which is more like what it should be, how much longer am
I going to have to walk to burn the same amount of calories?

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated. For example, I'm not always
going to be able to continuously walk throughout my life, so how can I keep
the weight off without exercise?

Thanks,
Rick Johnston

Old March 3rd 04, 10:03 AM
John Thomas

Rick Johnston wrote:
[...]

Rick, why would you not be able to walk for the rest of your life? Are
you planning a debilitating disease for yourself? Hang in there. Eat a
lot of beans and salads and other green stuff. Hold the cow and the
cookies. Stop wondering and start walking. Bring some water with you.

Also, consider carrying dumbbells with you as you go. There are various
things you can do with the weights. I carry 7-pounders or 3-pounders,
on alternate days. Today I will carry the 3s. As I walk I swing these
weights like a soldier swings his arms when marching. I swing them up
to my navel for a while, then up to my shoulders for a while, then up to
my ears for a while. Ears is tough. I need a little rest after that,
so I go back to the navel and start again there. The idea is to keep
yourself out of breath for the most part. The system is called
'heavyhands' and to learn more about it for now, do a Google search on
that term.

There's another program I follow with the 7s. You can check it out on
my website:

http://justjohn.4t.com/walkingwithweights.htm

I plan to update it soon to include the heavyhands method.

Old April 30th 04, 04:53 AM
JM

Rick,

Just keep in mind fitness is not a destination, its a journey. Part of that
journey is finding out what works for you. At the age of 48 I find I still
need to rest everyother day from my workouts. I lost 50 pounds and have not
gained much of it back. I would suggest that you find a workout the elevates
your heart rate for 45 minutes and do that three times a week. As long as
you are walking at 65% of your MHR, you will benefit from the pace and time
you spend walking. This is true if you run or walk. Mayself, I run and walk.

Loosing 75 pounds in 6 months is 3 pounds a week, that is really too much,
too fast. Two pounds a week is the generally accepted safe maximum rate to
loose weight and keep it off.

Good luck and stay with it. Have fun because it will reward you many times
over in your life.

Jim

hlink.net...

Old June 19th 06, 06:42 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 06:30:20 GMT, "Rick Johnston"
wrote:

[...]

Rick, I started walking at just 10 minutes a day, and gradually built
up distance, then speed. I now walk 5 miles a day, at between 2.5 and
3 miles per hour. This is less than two hours, and I don't do it all
at one time. I break it up into smaller increments. I started out at
282, and now weigh 196 and still losing. I guess I could go faster
than that, but what I'm doing is working, and it doesn't hurt!

Vern Kirkman
Old June 20th 06, 07:18 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

wrote:

Five years ago, I started a walking program. From almost the first
week, the walking was extremely intense, especially for someone who
was 75 pounds overweight. However, I lost the weight within 6
months BUT 3 years ago gained it all back and then some because I
switched jobs and couldn't find time to walk.
snip

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated. For example, I'm not
always going to be able to continuously walk throughout my life, so
how can I keep the weight off without exercise?

The thermodynamic diet is 100% effective. Calories out calories in.

As for not being able to walk throughout your life, why not. I work with an
84 year old woman who walks every day.
In the original Aerobics book the writer told of a man who walked rather
than eating lunch and walking has always gotten rid of my hunger.
Buy an mp3 player and listen to books, learn a language, listen to music, or
old time radio shows.
If you watch TV get a Dish network DVR, tape the shows, and skip the
commercials. That gives you 20 minutes or so per hour that you can walk.

It's harder to take it off then keep it off and it gets harder to get it off
as you age.

Weight loss Steve Aerobic 6 February 10th 06 11:20 AM
My Weight loss Story Jenny Aerobic 0 April 28th 04 12:07 PM
Weight Loss Heart Rate vs. Cardio Giganews Aerobic 25 January 1st 04 11:32 PM
weight loss frustration Mikey Aerobic 1 November 20th 03 01:13 PM
Exercise For Weight Loss? xxx Aerobic 3 October 31st 03 03:04 AM