Newbie with nausea/weakness

Old January 30th 05, 01:55 AM
goddardwoman

Default Newbie with nausea/weakness

Please forgive what may seem to most of you a simplistic question.
History/Background: I'm a 41 year old female, 5'8", 155. Formerly
very athletic, small framed, slender (125-130). After giving birth, I
got out of exercising consistently. I have recently recommitted myself
and am having difficulties with weight lifting activities. I do fine
on the treadmill (45-60 min) at a moderately fast jog (4.5 mph ave.).
Regardless of whether or not I have done my aerobic work first, or I'm
just doing weights for the day, my muscles burn out very quickly, and I
become nauseated and weak shortly after I begin lifting weights. I
have to recover by lying down. After the nausea passes, I crave simple
carbs. I never have this problem with aerobic-type activities. I
typically eat a meal or snack that includes simple and complex carbs
(turkey sandwich on whole wheat, juice, etc.) one to two hours before
my workouts. I am not diabetic, nor do I have a heart condition (have
had workups for both). This has happened in the past as well, even
when I have been in good shape, cardio wise.

I am really into knowing the biochemistry behind what I am doing and
why I am doing it. I want to know exactly why this is happening so I
know how to approach the problem accurately. Biochemically, what is it
about weight work that bothers me? Is this a creatine problem?
Thanks in advance!

Old January 30th 05, 04:03 AM
topfit

Congrats on getting back into exercise!!

It sounds like your weight training might be fairly intense at this
time and you are experiencing a lactic acid builldup which could
account for your nausea.

Sudden drops in blood sugar could also make you feel the same way, and
since you eat as much as 2 hours before and crave simple carbs after,
this might just be the cause. Exercise can lower blood sugar, and
intense exercise can lower it quickly which may cause the nausea and
fatigue.

Without knowing a little more about your exercise routine, it's
difficult to pin point the problem, but if it's lactic acid buildup,
you may need to take slightly longer rest periods between sets, and if
blood sugar is the problem you might try adjusting your eating habits
to not go so long between eating and exercise. You could also try a
watered down sport drink during your workout and see if that helps.
www.topfitonline.com

Old January 31st 05, 05:43 AM
goddardwoman

What are the causes for a quicker than normal or excessive lactic acid
build-up?

Old February 1st 05, 04:25 AM
Average_Everyday_Sane_Psycho

"topfit" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have to agree with the low blood sugar theory. Occasionally, the same
thing happens to me if I forget to eat. Last week it did. I had jogged
three miles before eating breakfast, had to run out on an appointment and
totally forgot to eat something after getting out of the shower. In the
car, I began getting nauseous and shaky and even slightly confused. I was
near a Starbucks so I grabbed a chai tea. Within 5-10 mins, I felt 100%
better. I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on tv) but if you're feeling
better after your simple carbs, I'd say the same thing is happening to you
too. My neighbor's blood sugar jumps all over the charts... very high one
day and then plummets the next.. her symptoms are pretty much the same that
you and I have mentioned.