Nausea - Lifting

Old May 16th 06, 07:56 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Default Nausea - Lifting

Hello all, first post here.

I am 36, most of my excercise is comprised of biking 70-100 miles/week
and running 8-12 miles/week. I have been trying to mix in some light
lifting to keep my upper body strength but I have been experienced
bouts of nausea when lifting. I never get it when I run or bike. What
could I be doing wrong?

Old May 16th 06, 08:03 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Have u tried washing your armpits/ass crack?

Old May 16th 06, 08:06 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

I thought about that, but then how would I keep my wife from bothering
me?

Old May 16th 06, 08:45 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

"Be Like Mike" schreef:

I thought about that, but then how would I keep my wife from bothering
me?

I have the same problem, so i stopped bathing.
BTW, you are probably quite tall, right?

----
Pete

Old May 16th 06, 09:12 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

In article .com,
"Be Like Mike" wrote:

Hello all, first post here.

I am 36, most of my excercise is comprised of biking 70-100 miles/week
and running 8-12 miles/week. I have been trying to mix in some light
lifting to keep my upper body strength but I have been experienced
bouts of nausea when lifting. I never get it when I run or bike. What
could I be doing wrong?

How well hydrated are you?
Do you hold your breath or control breathing while lifting?

Just off the top of my head, those can be two common causes of nausea.

Also, don't eat a large meal prior to lifting...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old May 16th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

It's hard to tell how hydrated I am. I usually will drink small
amounts of water throughout the workout, every 10-15 minutes or so. I
am not thirsty while lifting though I know that is not a good sign for
determining if you are dehydrated.

I usually do hold my breath while lifting then breath out once I bring
the weight back down. Should I be inhaling or exhaling while lifting?

Old May 16th 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Be Like Mike" schreef:

Nope, I am a bit of a runt 5'8" 165lbs.

Man... You were SUPPOSED to say;

"I am a 6 feet 2 athletic man and i seduce women with great ease...

;-(

----
Pete

Old May 16th 06, 09:49 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

In article . com,
"Be Like Mike" wrote:

It's hard to tell how hydrated I am. I usually will drink small
amounts of water throughout the workout, every 10-15 minutes or so. I
am not thirsty while lifting though I know that is not a good sign for
determining if you are dehydrated.

Drinking _small_ amounts during lifting is good. Stuffing down too much
liquid is bad. That will tend to make you nauseous as well over-eating
prior to a workout.

I never could understand those "body builders" that would eat a large
pre-workout meal, then barf it all up during a heavy leg workout.
What's the point? I mean really?

Total minimum fluid intake for most people is 2 liters per day. (1/2
gallon). I personally try to do twice that. It's not as hard as it
sounds. Just don't drink the majority of it before a workout.G Drink
it over the course of the day.

I also weigh myself before and after a workout. For every 1 lb. you lose
during a workout, you need to try to replace 1 pt. of water when you get
home over a couple of hours. I try to keep it to under 2 lbs. but when
I'm not paying attention, I drop as much as 3 lbs. during a lifting and
cardio session.

I usually do hold my breath while lifting then breath out once I bring
the weight back down. Should I be inhaling or exhaling while lifting?

Don't EVER breath hold!

I personally inhale while lifting and exhale while lowering the weight.
Patterned breathing will help with a number of things.

Hope this helps! :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old May 16th 06, 09:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

"Be Like Mike" schreef:

I usually do hold my breath while lifting then breath out once I bring
the weight back down. Should I be inhaling or exhaling while lifting?

The general accepted consensus is to breat out during the concentric phase,
in during the eccentric.

To tell you the truth, it doesnt really matter that much...

----
Pete

Old May 16th 06, 09:57 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

In article ,
"Pete" wrote:

"Be Like Mike" schreef:

I usually do hold my breath while lifting then breath out once I bring
the weight back down. Should I be inhaling or exhaling while lifting?

The general accepted consensus is to breat out during the concentric phase,
in during the eccentric.

To tell you the truth, it doesnt really matter that much...

----
Pete

True... as long as you don't STOP breathing (breath hold).
Oxygen deprivation can contribute to nausea. Really.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

newbie seeks lifting routine Nikko Weights 5 August 9th 04 05:59 PM
Gain muscle while not lifting? BW Weights 12 April 26th 04 12:36 PM
Wushu athlete who wants to benefit from Weight Lifting An_G Weights 102 March 18th 04 08:01 PM
New, old and lazy Bob Weights 300 January 29th 04 12:34 PM
Book Suggestions or Advice on Running and Lifting JDusty4 Running 4 November 5th 03 10:59 PM