Alternate Exercise to Pullover in Hammersmith

Old November 11th 04, 11:03 PM
Per Elmsäter

Default Alternate Exercise to Pullover in Hammersmith

In my quest of moving from machines to free weights there is one machine
that I really don't like at all and it's the Hammersmith Pullover. It
doesn't seem like a Dumbbell Pullover would work the same muscles though. I
don't just want to complain I'd lie to propose an alternative as well when I
bring this up with my PT.
I do one day of upper body a week and it's mostly to balance my body and to
help me stay on my roadbike for hours on end without running into other
problems due to a weak upper body. Twice a week I do legwork.
I'd really appreciate any tips on alternate exercises that would work the
same muscle groups similarly.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old November 12th 04, 02:30 AM
Lee Michaels

"Per Elmsäter" wrote

In my quest of moving from machines to free weights there is one machine
that I really don't like at all and it's the Hammersmith Pullover. It
doesn't seem like a Dumbbell Pullover would work the same muscles though.

don't just want to complain I'd lie to propose an alternative as well when

bring this up with my PT.
I do one day of upper body a week and it's mostly to balance my body and

help me stay on my roadbike for hours on end without running into other
problems due to a weak upper body. Twice a week I do legwork.
I'd really appreciate any tips on alternate exercises that would work the
same muscle groups similarly.

I am not sure what a Hammersith Pullover machine looks like. ASSuming that
it is similar to Hammer Strength Pullover machine, it would provide
resistance in a movement that starts up up over your ears and ends somewher
around your hips. And there is no direct correlateing movement in the world
of free weights. But it doesn't matter.

There are a number of lat movements that you can do. They all work different
parts of the movement above. And some of them work movements that the above
pullover doesn't work.

If you haven't done any heavy barbell rowing, you haven't really worked your
lats. This should be an eye opener. But you can duplicate any part of the
pullover movement with enough different movements. But why bother? Just
find a movement or two and work them. Work hard on hoisting iron and it will
meet or beat the effects of any shoulder wrecker pullover machine.

Old November 12th 04, 08:48 AM
Per Elmsäter

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Per Elmsäter" wrote

In my quest of moving from machines to free weights there is one
machine that I really don't like at all and it's the Hammersmith
Pullover. It doesn't seem like a Dumbbell Pullover would work the
same muscles though. I don't just want to complain I'd lie to
propose an alternative as well when I bring this up with my PT.
I do one day of upper body a week and it's mostly to balance my body
and to help me stay on my roadbike for hours on end without running
into other problems due to a weak upper body. Twice a week I do
legwork.
I'd really appreciate any tips on alternate exercises that would
work the same muscle groups similarly.

I am not sure what a Hammersith Pullover machine looks like. ASSuming
that it is similar to Hammer Strength Pullover machine,

Sorry about the confusion. Yes of course I meant the "Hammer Strength
machine". I don't know where I got the other name from. Must have been more
tired than I thought when I came home from the gym yesterday

Old November 12th 04, 09:05 PM

i really enjoy stiff arm pullovers (with one dumbbell). it works the
serrattos as well as the back. provides a great stretch also.

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
"Per Elmsäter" wrote