Varying opinions on CLA

Old April 14th 04, 08:42 PM
ShaneOttawa

Default Varying opinions on CLA

I'm an aging former jock who has returned to the gym after a knee
injury and later a bout of bronchiitis gave me far too much excuse to
sit on the couch for too many years. At my peak fitness, I was 6-3,
238 with approx. 13% bf - That was 16 years ago - I'm now 38 and my
goal is to return to that state.

Since November I've been lifting weights alternate days, with an upper
body/lower body split. Two of my non-lifting days include 25-35
minutes of cardio.

Anyway, there's the background.

I've been doing a lot of reading and soaking up opinions. One subject
on which I've seen wildly varying, but credible opinions is on merits
(or lack thereof) of CLA. Lyle and Bryan Haycock seem to think it has
merit - especially for someone in my condition who has a lot of fat to
"loose" (I currently weigh around 340) but who wants to maintain as
much LBM as possible while losing fat, and possibly even gain muscle
at the same time. Meanwhile, Will Brinkman thinks CLA is ****e.

Is there any common ground between these opinions? I'm on CLA and
*think* it helps, but of course, I'm the worst possible judge of that.
I'd like to hear some thoughts - the theory behind it makes sense, but
I'm a marketing weenie, not a biochemist. This stuff is waay too
expensive to continue taking if sugar pills would achieve the same
thing.
Old April 14th 04, 09:58 PM
Lyle McDonald

ShaneOttawa wrote:

I'm an aging former jock who has returned to the gym after a knee
injury and later a bout of bronchiitis gave me far too much excuse to
sit on the couch for too many years. At my peak fitness, I was 6-3,
238 with approx. 13% bf - That was 16 years ago - I'm now 38 and my
goal is to return to that state.

Since November I've been lifting weights alternate days, with an upper
body/lower body split. Two of my non-lifting days include 25-35
minutes of cardio.

Anyway, there's the background.

I've been doing a lot of reading and soaking up opinions. One subject
on which I've seen wildly varying, but credible opinions is on merits
(or lack thereof) of CLA. Lyle and Bryan Haycock seem to think it has
merit

Don't include me in this, I think CLA is a total ****ing waste of money
(meaing it might have a small effect at very high doses but the
cost:benefit ratio is just horrible).

It might help with visceral fat but that's **** easy to get rid of anyhow.

Lyle

Old April 15th 04, 03:23 AM
Odin

"ShaneOttawa" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It makes a good lubricant for sodomites.

Old April 15th 04, 02:18 PM
ShaneOttawa

Lyle McDonald wrote in message ...
ShaneOttawa wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. I thought you'd suggested it would be helpful for people
with a lot of weight to lose, but the cost is a huge factor. Clearly,
you don't think it would be helpful enough. I stand corrected -
thanks.
Old April 15th 04, 02:18 PM
ShaneOttawa

ShaneOttawa wrote:

[...]

Opinions on stamina elliptical? bdubya Aerobic 2 February 9th 04 09:41 PM
Varying rest time Jonny D Weights 2 February 8th 04 03:18 AM
Need opinions on ProForm treadmills Walker Aerobic 0 November 27th 03 06:24 PM
Need opinions on ProForm treadmills Walker Walking 0 November 26th 03 03:39 AM
seeking opinions - who'd be fitter?????? Bob Cardone Aerobic 4 July 26th 03 12:48 AM