10% Rule after Marathon

Old November 16th 03, 04:22 PM
Joe

Default 10% Rule after Marathon

Hello all,

I ran the Chicago Marathon in October (my 1st one, finished in 3:50). I
understand the 10% rule in increasing weekly mileage. My question is, since
I had a decent base before the marathon (averaged about 45-50mpw for about 2
1/2 months prior to the marathon), do I have to start from scratch with the
10% rule, or can I up my mileage again much quicker. I mean, I've done
minimal running since the marathon due to a slight knee pain, which I'm now
over. I'm now back to about 20 miles per week. Would it be too drastic to
up to 35-40 miles per week right now, or should i just follow the 10% rule
still? Thanks.

Joe

Old November 16th 03, 04:53 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Joe wrote:
Hello all,

I ran the Chicago Marathon in October (my 1st one, finished in 3:50). I
understand the 10% rule in increasing weekly mileage.

The "10% rule" doesn't allow you to add 10% each and every week. In fact I
think it's a badly stated rule. Most coaches recommend no more than about 10%
increase per month. But this is for building milage.

My question is, since
I had a decent base before the marathon (averaged about 45-50mpw for about 2
1/2 months prior to the marathon), do I have to start from scratch with the
10% rule, or can I up my mileage again much quicker.

You should be able to bring it up quicker, but it depends on how long the
layoff was.

I mean, I've done minimal running since the marathon due to a slight knee
pain, which I'm now over.

If the knee pain was caused by training (and not the race), you may want to
adjust your milage target.

I'm now back to about 20 miles per week. Would it be too drastic to
up to 35-40 miles per week right now, or should i just follow the 10% rule
still? Thanks.

The advice Jack Daniels gives on coming back after a break is that the
rebuilding period is the same length as the break, and you progress over the
rebuilding period to your previous training load. If you use these guidelines,
you should spend about 2 weeks at 20-25mpw and 2 more weeks at 33-38mpw with
no speed work. That's assuming you wish to return to your pre-marathon training
load.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old November 17th 03, 04:22 PM
Bill

I ran the Chicago Marathon in October (my 1st one, finished in 3:50). I
understand the 10% rule in increasing weekly mileage. My question is,

since
I had a decent base before the marathon (averaged about 45-50mpw for about

2
1/2 months prior to the marathon), do I have to start from scratch with

the
10% rule, or can I up my mileage again much quicker. I mean, I've done
minimal running since the marathon due to a slight knee pain, which I'm

now
over. I'm now back to about 20 miles per week. Would it be too drastic

up to 35-40 miles per week right now, or should i just follow the 10% rule
still? Thanks.

Glad to see your knee pain has subsided.

From the nature of your question it seems to me you are valuing the stress
part of training, with a healthy caution for possible injury, but not
valuing the rest and recovery part of training. If so, then you will be
forever pushing mileage limits, getting injured, recovering and starting
over. This seems to happen to 50 percent of runners at least once each year
if the source was quoted correctly.

Before piling on the miles, if you have not already done this, why not find
out why the knee hurt, short of pushing mileage limits. If you can, then
you might prevent reoccurence with some simple drills.

Old November 18th 03, 05:36 PM
AMH

"Joe" wrote in message ...
Hello all,

I ran the Chicago Marathon in October (my 1st one, finished in 3:50). I
understand the 10% rule in increasing weekly mileage. My question is, since
I had a decent base before the marathon (averaged about 45-50mpw for about 2
1/2 months prior to the marathon), do I have to start from scratch with the
10% rule, or can I up my mileage again much quicker. I mean, I've done
minimal running since the marathon due to a slight knee pain, which I'm now
over. I'm now back to about 20 miles per week. Would it be too drastic to
up to 35-40 miles per week right now, or should i just follow the 10% rule
still? Thanks.

Joe

The 10% rule should be a guideline. Some people can ignore it and
others are doomed to follow it in the fullest.

Think about what you need to do to go from 20 miles per week to 35-40.
Does that mean making the runs you do longer or adding an extra run or
two per week?

I have a pretty set distances I run during a given week. 5, 6, 8 (or
longer). For building mileage it isn't a good idea to run your longest
run twice in one week. Depending on what you are doing now I'd take a
short run and add a mile or two to it. And add a short distance. Keep
steady for 2 or 3 weeks then increase the mileage. Assuming 3 runs per
week of 20 miles total I'd add a 5 miler and make 1 five miler a 6.
Gives me 4 runs per week and 26 miles. After I'm happy with that 2
weeks perhaps I'd add another 5 miler and maybe make my 8 miler a 10
miler. Now I've got 5 runs per week and 32 miles per week over the
course of 3 or 4 weeks.

The idea is to avoid the extremes. Don't jump from 20 miles to 30 by
adding a 10 mile run. Do the distances you can and increase the long
runs as you feel comfortable. The total mileage is important but how
you get there is just as important.

Mind your knee and try to figure out the cause. Keep stretching and
exercising opposing muscles, cha, cha, cha.

My $0.02
Andy

Race Report #2: Dublin City Marathon John Moore Running 17 November 3rd 03 03:50 AM
Marathon Pacing Asweepay Running 7 November 3rd 03 01:00 AM
Hyponatremia Can Sometimes Lead to Death for Marathoners Washington Post Article Phil M. Running 6 October 26th 03 11:35 PM
Sydney Marathon 2003 - Race Report Andrew Taylor Running 5 October 21st 03 01:52 PM
Race report : Eindhoven Marathon (the Netherlands, Oct 12, 2003) Jos Bergervoet Running 13 October 16th 03 07:01 PM