Walking apps

Old February 11th 15, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Martyn Tindall[_2_]

Default Walking apps

Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

---

Old February 12th 15, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Christof Meerwald

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:01:30 GMT, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

I am developing HikingMaps (mainly) for Firefox-OS, see
https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/hikingmaps

You should be able to use that on Android via Firefox for Android (and
installing the app from the Firefox marketplace) or via Chrome and
using http://hikingmaps.cmeerw.net - I have to say that Firefox on
Android tends to be less stable than Firefox-OS, but would appreciate
any feedback (does it work for you with Firefox on Android or Chrome?
is it stable?)

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old February 12th 15, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
nemo[_3_]

On 11/02/2015 21:01, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

TIA,

I have Viewranger on my Android phone, as a back-up to my Garmin Dakota
GPS. I've used it in parallel with the Garmin and it works well.

For my purposes the Garmin unit is more practical: very robust
physically, better battery life[1], cheap AA back-up batteries, fully
weatherproof, operable with gloves on. But I still like the reassurance
of Viewranger as back-up.

[1] GPS eats battery on Android phones. To get adequate endurance on a
long walk I have to select 'airplane mode'.
Old February 12th 15, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
John B

Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

TIA,

You'll maybe want to use maps on your phone. IMO the only really useful
ones here in the context of hillwalking are ones that you can use
offline and which do not require an internet connection.

There are a number of apps that can use Open Street Mapping. The OSM
mapping, of course, is free but it may be that app developers will
charge a) for the app and/or b) for the mapping. To be fair, if they've
invested time and effort in developing a system that's easy to use then
paying a nominal sum doesn't seem unreasonable to me. All I would
suggest, however, is that you might want to consider ease of regularly
updating the mapping as a factor.

In the UK it's always nice to have OS mapping. The Memory Map app can
use their proprietary OS mapping so there is a cost involved. The app
itself is free but seems a tad flaky to me at times though, of course,
the mapping is the key. Another pro for the MM app is that you can use
it to display '3rd party maps'. A caveat here is that you may need to
buy a separate '3rd party map' licence which costs, I think, about GBP
12 or thereabouts.

The phrase '3rd party' maps refers to maps that you get from someone
other than MM. You may have drawn and calibrated your own maps, for
example, as is entirely possible. You can produce maps from any suitable
digital image(s), though there is a bit of a knack in calibrating them.

Another scenario is that you've downloaded digital mapping from, say,
the Spanish IGN as you can do entirely legitimately for personal use.
It's already calibrated and is good to go.

It's a big issue and there's lots to consider .. just my tuppence
worth...;-)
Old February 13th 15, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 12/02/2015 14:14, nemo wrote:
On 11/02/2015 21:01, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

TIA,

I have Viewranger on my Android phone, as a back-up to my Garmin Dakota
GPS. I've used it in parallel with the Garmin and it works well.

For my purposes the Garmin unit is more practical: very robust
physically, better battery life[1], cheap AA back-up batteries, fully
weatherproof, operable with gloves on. But I still like the reassurance
of Viewranger as back-up.

[1] GPS eats battery on Android phones. To get adequate endurance on a
long walk I have to select 'airplane mode'.

And they need charging every night, even without GPS use.

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old February 13th 15, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 12/02/2015 22:46, Martin Richardson wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 February 2015 21:01:28 UTC, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

My favourites a
Peakbagger
Trigpointing UK
Wikiloc
iGeology 3D
Bothy
CalMac Status
Earth
GPXViewer
Met Office

I only have the Met Office. ;-)

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old February 13th 15, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

On 13/02/2015 11:45, Gordon H wrote:
On 12/02/2015 14:14, nemo wrote:
On 11/02/2015 21:01, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found useful?

TIA,

I have Viewranger on my Android phone, as a back-up to my Garmin Dakota
GPS. I've used it in parallel with the Garmin and it works well.

For my purposes the Garmin unit is more practical: very robust
physically, better battery life[1], cheap AA back-up batteries, fully
weatherproof, operable with gloves on. But I still like the reassurance
of Viewranger as back-up.

[1] GPS eats battery on Android phones. To get adequate endurance on a
long walk I have to select 'airplane mode'.

And they need charging every night, even without GPS use.

I find otherwise. In normal in town use I can easily get a couple of
days out of my Android mobile - though it must be noted I hardly ever
make or receive calls. If I'm going out into the wilds I put it into
'airplane mode' to stop it looking for a signal and keep the screen
light down to a bare minimum, I have Brightness Level by CurveFish
installed to make that easier.

For GPS use when walking I use it /very/ sparingly just firing it up
long enough to get a fix and show my position on Oziexplorer.
--
Phil Cook
Old February 13th 15, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
nemo[_3_]

On 13/02/2015 16:42, Phil Cook wrote:
For GPS use when walking I use it /very/ sparingly

There's the difference: I use it to follow the route and record my track
continuously - much heavier consumption.
Old February 14th 15, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 12/02/2015 14:14, nemo wrote:
[...]

OK, two days with modest use,but I find it convenient to have it fully
charged in the morning.
I rarely make calls from it except from the car (voice control) to
perhaps say that I will be late somewhere.

I use it mainly as a quick information source, and when at home the home
WiFi takes over the data download.

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old February 14th 15, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 13/02/2015 18:22, nemo wrote:
On 13/02/2015 16:42, Phil Cook wrote:
For GPS use when walking I use it /very/ sparingly

There's the difference: I use it to follow the route and record my track
continuously - much heavier consumption.

I find it easier to use my SatMap, which will last a few days for my
short walks.

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply