Rather OT Pubs

Old May 9th 15, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Broadback[_3_]

Default Rather OT Pubs

When walking we like to plan a pub stop about half way. Sadly more and
more pubs are being closed, have restricted opening hours or turned into
restaurants. Is there any application available, or other way of finding
if pubs are still open?
Old May 9th 15, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]

On 09/05/2015 10:13, Broadback wrote:
When walking we like to plan a pub stop about half way. Sadly more and
more pubs are being closed, have restricted opening hours or turned into
restaurants. Is there any application available, or other way of finding
if pubs are still open?

If and when our group PLAN a pub lunch walk, we phone the pub in
advance, get a menu, and when we meet to start the walk, we phone our
orders ahead, and get quick service.

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Old May 9th 15, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Broadback[_3_]

On 09/05/2015 11:53, Gordon H wrote:
On 09/05/2015 10:13, Broadback wrote:
When walking we like to plan a pub stop about half way. Sadly more and
more pubs are being closed, have restricted opening hours or turned into
restaurants. Is there any application available, or other way of finding
if pubs are still open?

If and when our group PLAN a pub lunch walk, we phone the pub in
advance, get a menu, and when we meet to start the walk, we phone our
orders ahead, and get quick service.

Sounds a great idea. But how do you find the pubs name? I plan my walks
from the OS.
Old May 9th 15, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Ernest Major

On 09/05/2015 14:57, Broadback wrote:
On 09/05/2015 11:53, Gordon H wrote:
On 09/05/2015 10:13, Broadback wrote:
When walking we like to plan a pub stop about half way. Sadly more and
more pubs are being closed, have restricted opening hours or turned into
restaurants. Is there any application available, or other way of finding
if pubs are still open?

If and when our group PLAN a pub lunch walk, we phone the pub in
advance, get a menu, and when we meet to start the walk, we phone our
orders ahead, and get quick service.

Sounds a great idea. But how do you find the pubs name? I plan my walks
from the OS.

If you go to a sufficiently large scale on Open Street Map it shows
pubs. I suspect that the same is for other mapping services.

You can also get POI (point of interest) lists for GPS/Sat-nav devices

--
alias Ernest Major
Old May 10th 15, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Graham Seed[_2_]

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 09/05/2015 11:53, Gordon H wrote:
On 09/05/2015 10:13, Broadback wrote:
When walking we like to plan a pub stop about half way. Sadly more and
more pubs are being closed, have restricted opening hours or turned into
restaurants. Is there any application available, or other way of finding
if pubs are still open?

If and when our group PLAN a pub lunch walk, we phone the pub in
advance, get a menu, and when we meet to start the walk, we phone our
orders ahead, and get quick service.

Sounds a great idea. But how do you find the pubs name? I plan my walks
from the OS.

Google maps name three of the four pubs in our village so its not the
complete solution but you could go on Street view and do an armchair visit
to the village where you are considering a lunch stop,

Grahan

Old May 10th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Broadback[_3_]

On 10/05/2015 09:40, Graham Seed wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all your tips, I will try them next time I work on a walk.