Fat loss through weight lifting and no cardio possible?

Old September 8th 06, 04:28 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Default Fat loss through weight lifting and no cardio possible?

Okay, I thought I knew what I was doing, but apparently not....

BACKGROUND INFO:

Male
29 years old
5'10"
29% body fat
204 lbs

2 years ago I was 185( before marriage ). I used to play basketball 1-2
times a week. Treadmill at 5.0mph-6.0mph for 20-30minutes 2-3 times a
week. Weight lifted 2-4 times a week as well. I did that routine for
about 4-5 years and always hovered around 177-185. Also at this point
id say I had a 4 pack, so I'm guessing 14-18% bodyfat?

2 years ago I got married and my physical activities just about
stopped. Tried on and off to be active, play sports again, and lift
weights, but with a hectic lifestyle I wasnt really doing much and
thusly now I am at 204lbs and 29% bodyfat.

MY PROBLEM:

I started eating about ~1300(90g of p, 150g of c, 30g of fat) calories
6 days a week and gave myself 1 cheat day. I dont have much time, so my
workout is limited. I dont do any cardio. I am trying to squeeze in 1
hour of weight lifting 4 days a week. I have done this for about 2
weeks and I feel like im getting stronger each time I go back to the
gym. Unfortunatly( or fortunaty ), I have noticed that I just gained
2lbs in the past 2 weeks.

Is this normal? Do I have any chance to lose fat this way? As long as I
create a calorie deficit I should right? What kind of progress can I
expect from this?

Thanks for any recommendations/comments!!
-kp

Old September 8th 06, 05:04 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Robert Schuh

wrote:

[...]

It is easily possible to lose fat and not do cardio. After my freshman year
in college, I got to be the fattest I have ever been in my life. I was
wearing 33" Levi's and felt like ass. I worked out in high school and
competed in 2 teen bodybuilding shows in high school, but eating all that
fattening dorm food put the weight around my belly etc. I remember seeing
that Bo Derek Tarzan movie and seeing that guy Miles O'Keefe and thinking I
wanted to get ripped like that. I went from 190 down to 150 and 4.5% body
fat from just weight training and dieting in 6 months. I was just 21, but
you can still do it at any age. I was reading those RIPPED books by
Clarence Bass and was an absolute lunatic with my diet. I NEVER cheated. I
guess I did small amounts of cardio as I would always take stairs instead
of elevators etc., but I never spent time running or any other standard
cardio stuff. I initially thought that is where I wanted to stay, but at
that point I started to increase my calories with all clean foods and went
from 150 to 170 in 8 weeks and stayed at the same body fat %. At that
point, I tried my first cycle of Steroids. It was VERY mild, 200 mg/week of
Deca and 10 Anavar/day. I went from 170 to 190 in weeks. I added a bit of
fat as I now was hooked line and sinker into getting bigger for
bodybuilding. To this day I still tell people who want to get into shape to
get down as lean as they can and then start to add calories to come back up
with muscle. It takes dedication in the gym, but still, diet is about 90%
of the battle. Good luck on your endeavor.

Rob

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Old September 8th 06, 05:14 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt James

Robert Schuh wrote:
wrote:

[...]

http://theabsdiet.com/ (the book's avilable at Wal-Mart for $10.88)
and/or any of the Clarence Bass - http://www.cbass.com/ - books as
mentioned by Schuh. Bass' diet resembles Zinczenko's recommendations to
a large degree, btw.

[...]

Holy crap! A positive and informative post by one Robert Schuh.
Fantastic if nearly unbelievable. Why, I'll bet goYankees69 at hotmail
dot com isn't even your REAL NAME!

Robert Schuh
snip

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

--
Curt

Old September 8th 06, 12:41 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
lifterwench

"Curt James" wrote in message
oups.com...
Robert Schuh wrote:
wrote:

snip

http://theabsdiet.com/ (the book's avilable at Wal-Mart for $10.88)
and/or any of the Clarence Bass - http://www.cbass.com/ - books as
mentioned by Schuh. Bass' diet resembles Zinczenko's recommendations to
a large degree, btw.

My Walmart did not have it, Amazon did it was $10.85.

Old September 8th 06, 06:09 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
joanne

wrote:
2 years ago I got married and my physical activities just about
stopped. Tried on and off to be active, play sports again, and lift
weights, but with a hectic lifestyle I wasnt really doing much and
thusly now I am at 204lbs and 29% bodyfat.

So basically you were eating too much for your inactive lifestyle. No
one to blame but yourself for gaining weight. Dont say its because you
got married, or your lifestyle is 'too hectic'. You have the choice.

I started eating about ~1300(90g of p, 150g of c, 30g of fat) calories
6 days a week and gave myself 1 cheat day.

So called 'cheat days' can end up shooting oneself in the foot calorie
wise. Keep track of your calories for the week and make sure you dont
eat over your weekly deficit on your 'cheat day'. If you dont make a
CONSISTANT caloric deficit you wont lose weight. Remember that 1lb
weightloss is said to equal 3500 calories. Easy to 'cheat' your way
over that in a blink of a BigMac meal.

I dont have much time, so my workout is limited. I dont do any cardio.
I am trying to squeeze in 1 hour of weight lifting 4 days a week.

Why not do three days of weights and a day of cardio, or two days of
weights and two days of cardio. You could try 1/2 weights/1/2 cardio
right afterwards for four x's a week too. Mix it up and see what works
in your time 'constraint'. Most times when people say they dont have
enough time to workout, they mean they dont want to MAKE time to
workout. An hour walk/jog can be done daily if you really want to to
fit it in. Its all about priorititizing your life to reach your goals.

I have done this for about 2 weeks and I feel like im getting stronger each
time I go back to the gym. Unfortunatly( or fortunatly ), I have noticed that
I just gained 2lbs in the past 2 weeks.

Two weeks is too short a time to gage what your body is going thru.
Patience is needed, yet you can cartasinly tweak your program as you go
along. Btw 2lbs is nothing - go to the bathroom and its gone or eat a
steak and potates and you gained four. For real progress notes, take
tape measurements and 'before' pic along with your bodyfat percentage
to make sure you are going in the right direction. Subtle changes at
first are a good motivation to keep going instead of relying on what
the scale says.

joanne

Old September 8th 06, 07:03 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl

writes:

Okay, I thought I knew what I was doing, but apparently not....

BACKGROUND INFO:

Male
29 years old
5'10"
29% body fat
204 lbs

Unless you had your body fat measured by a professional it's probably
wrong. The good news is that you haven't let yourself go as much as
most people do before deciding to clean up their act.

-snip story-

The story was useful. In fact, it's such a familiar refrain that
there is little point in repeating it.

MY PROBLEM:

I started eating about ~1300(90g of p, 150g of c, 30g of fat)
calories 6 days a week and gave myself 1 cheat day. I dont have much
time, so my workout is limited. I dont do any cardio. I am trying to
squeeze in 1 hour of weight lifting 4 days a week. I have done this
for about 2 weeks and I feel like im getting stronger each time I go
back to the gym. Unfortunatly( or fortunaty ), I have noticed that I
just gained 2lbs in the past 2 weeks.

I would not recommend starting your new "fitness" lifestyle on a
severely reduced calorie diet. I especially wouldn't recommend a
reduced calorie diet combined with a "cheat day." That's quite
possibly the worst combination possible.

I would instead simply concentrate on making exercise a part of your
life again. It doesn't take four hours a week either.

The mistake most people make when getting back into fitness is that
they want immediate results. So they decide to live off of nothing
but watercress and spinach while mixing in hours of exercise. Three
weeks later they are holed up in a Krispy Kreme donut shop blowing
their child's college fund on glazed donuts.

It's taken you several years to put on the extra weight, and it is
going to take a while to take the weight back off. The key is to
slowly build the healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

Personally, if I were you, I would first concentrate on making
exercise a regular part of your life again. Joining a gym is nice,
but fitting in an hour to go to the gym can be difficult. To help
guarantee that you can get in a good workout even if you don't have
time to go to the gym get yourself some toys that you can play with at
home. A jumprope is good, and you can pick up an Olympic weight set
with 300lbs for less than $150 (my set cost $120).

Is this normal? Do I have any chance to lose fat this way? As long
as I create a calorie deficit I should right? What kind of progress
can I expect from this?

Unfortunately, your experience is pretty normal. Water retention is a
big part of body weight, and starting a new strength training regimen
is basically the perfect way to guarantee that your body retains more
water.

Your severely low calorie diet combined with an entire "cheat day"
probably only guarantees that most of your time is spent being
miserable.

Thanks for any recommendations/comments!!
-kp

Spend the next 5 weeks or so creating the good habit of regular
exercise. Don't worry about your diet until you exercise has become a
routine. Keep track of what you eat, if it makes you feel better, and
try and eat plenty of protein and unprocessed foods, but don't starve
yourself. If after 5 weeks you aren't progressing as quickly as you
want to then you can play with your diet. There are all kinds of
different tactics that you can employ.

One thing at a time friend.

Jason

Old September 9th 06, 03:19 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
ranieri

"Robert Schuh" wrote in message

I remember seeing
that Bo Derek Tarzan movie and seeing that guy Miles O'Keefe and thinking
wanted to get ripped like that.

Dear God, man...a 1980's Bo Derek movie and you were foucused on the dude?

Old September 9th 06, 10:57 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
lifterwench

"ranieri" not now wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Schuh" wrote in message

I remember seeing
that Bo Derek Tarzan movie and seeing that guy Miles O'Keefe and

thinking
wanted to get ripped like that.

Dear God, man...a 1980's Bo Derek movie and you were foucused on the dude?

In Shuh's definse, O'Keefe was very pretty.

Old September 9th 06, 10:58 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
lifterwench

"lifterwench" wrote in message

"ranieri" not now wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Schuh" wrote in message

I remember seeing
that Bo Derek Tarzan movie and seeing that guy Miles O'Keefe and

thinking
wanted to get ripped like that.

Dear God, man...a 1980's Bo Derek movie and you were foucused on the

dude?

In Shuh's definse, O'Keefe was very pretty.

I meant "Schuh", I am not really awake yet.