Looking for Treadmill Recommendations (Australia)

Old December 3rd 03, 01:19 AM
Paul Walker

Default Looking for Treadmill Recommendations (Australia)

I'm looking at buying a treadmill and am looking for recommendations.

I guess what I want to know is brands to buy and brands to avoid.

I'm looking for a treadmill with electric incline and heart rate control
that will be used by me and my wife for probably 5-10 hours per week.

I'm located in Australia (Perth) so brand names may be different here.

Thanks in advance
Paul Walker

Old December 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
Peter Webb

Brand names are the same here as O/S, as far as I can tell.

In fact, my NordicTrack EXP 1000 XI (bought from Rebel Sports in Sydney) was
supplied with a 110V transformer. Whilst the mechanism is good, I can't
recommend the brand:

* The heart rate monitor is proprietary, and the optional chest strap is
several hundred dollars. Get one that is Polar compatible so you can use the
same chest strap with different machines.

* The software is poor. The pre-built programs cannot be adjusted to make
them harder or easier (eg by changing the incline). This makes them all but
useless.

* The iFit system for external control is highly proprietary and "closed".
You have to effectively buy different programs (including music) from iFit.

HTH

Peter Webb

u...

Old December 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
Paul Walker

Thanks for the response Peter.

That's one brand to avoid and a few things to look out for.

Paul

u...

Old December 3rd 03, 06:35 AM

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
[...]

look up this site - you'll what is good and what is rubbish
www.treadmilldoctor.com

Old December 3rd 03, 06:41 AM
Paul Walker

"David" wrote in message
u...

look up this site - you'll what is good and what is rubbish
www.treadmilldoctor.com

Thanks for the excellent link Very informative.

Not all brands I've seen are listed but some certainly are.

It should be enough info to stop me making a terrible mistake.

Thanks again.
Paul

Old December 3rd 03, 07:18 AM

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...
"David" wrote in message
u...

look up this site - you'll what is good and what is rubbish
www.treadmilldoctor.com

Thanks for the excellent link Very informative.

Not all brands I've seen are listed but some certainly are.

It should be enough info to stop me making a terrible mistake.

Thanks again.
Paul

you're welcome . . . best outlets in Perth are Orbit and Nordic - . . .

Old December 3rd 03, 07:45 AM
Paul Walker

"David" wrote in message
u...

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...
"David" wrote in message
u...

look up this site - you'll what is good and what is rubbish
www.treadmilldoctor.com

Thanks for the excellent link Very informative.

Not all brands I've seen are listed but some certainly are.

It should be enough info to stop me making a terrible mistake.

Thanks again.
Paul

you're welcome . . . best outlets in Perth are Orbit and Nordic - . . .

Ah even better. That's what I want to hear.

I've been to Orbit but haven't been to Nordic yet (will do soon).

I was also thinking about trying to pick one up from the Quokka (Classified
paper for those not in Perth) as they obviously depreciate fairly quickly
and lots of people buy them and give up.

Paul

Old December 3rd 03, 07:56 AM

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...

"David" wrote in message
u...

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...
"David" wrote in message
u...

look up this site - you'll what is good and what is rubbish
www.treadmilldoctor.com

Thanks for the excellent link Very informative.

Not all brands I've seen are listed but some certainly are.

It should be enough info to stop me making a terrible mistake.

Thanks again.
Paul

you're welcome . . . best outlets in Perth are Orbit and Nordic - . .

..

Ah even better. That's what I want to hear.

I've been to Orbit but haven't been to Nordic yet (will do soon).

I was also thinking about trying to pick one up from the Quokka

(Classified
paper for those not in Perth) as they obviously depreciate fairly quickly
and lots of people buy them and give up.

Paul

Not a good idea as service is a big thing with treadmills as they are
mechanical and electrical and things will go wrong - if it is out of
warranty you could pay $100's if something goes wrong. If you buy a new one
try make sure that service is 'in home' and there is no call out fee. Try
for min 2 year warranty

Old December 3rd 03, 08:07 AM
Paul Walker

"David" wrote in message
u...

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...

I was also thinking about trying to pick one up from the Quokka

(Classified
paper for those not in Perth) as they obviously depreciate fairly

quickly
and lots of people buy them and give up.

Paul

Not a good idea as service is a big thing with treadmills as they are
mechanical and electrical and things will go wrong - if it is out of
warranty you could pay $100's if something goes wrong. If you buy a new

one
try make sure that service is 'in home' and there is no call out fee. Try
for min 2 year warranty

I'll bear that in mind. It would obviously have to be a bargain to make it
worth my while.

Thanks for the tip about checking if the warranty is in-home.

I have noticed that some warranties are only 12 months. Very short for that
sort of money.

Paul

Old December 3rd 03, 08:12 AM

"Paul Walker" wrote in message
u...

"David" wrote in message
u...

[...]

if you get a real bargain i.e. 1/2 price and not too old, I would make sure
that it is a well known brand with local service