Questions to ask Anti Low Carb Doctors ?

Old July 13th 04, 06:24 AM
Evian Shore

Default Questions to ask Anti Low Carb Doctors ?

Lyle McDonald wrote:
gman99 wrote:

A three year study on a very specific segment of he population does

NOT a
clinical trial make. Good clinical trials, the type which would be

needed
to study a diet would need to last decades and would be very

intensive and
should be paid for by the likes of Atkin's et al. But that will not
happen...tooo expensive...it's far too easy to suck someone in with

a "Low
Carb" label...

Oh, you mean like the decades long studies of the current FDA food
pyramid that were funded by the US Govt that proved its efficacy

before
it was recommnded as the ONLY healthy way of eating? Can you give me

some references for those?

Lyle

A few months back I saw some documents on I think the US army's
website that described basic (macro)nutrition and regimen. IIRC
it was consistent with the grain-staple food pyramid. Apparently
that way of eating has been deemed adequate for their training
purposes. So you might want to look for that.

Old July 13th 04, 02:25 PM
Lyle McDonald

Evian Shore wrote:

Lyle McDonald wrote:

gman99 wrote:

[...]

Fantastic, a diet used by individuals involved in umpteen hours per day
of physical activity.

Care to opine on how valid that is for the average american who sits on
their ass?

Lyle

Old July 13th 04, 04:51 PM
gman99

Fantastic, a diet used by individuals involved in umpteen hours per day
of physical activity.

Care to opine on how valid that is for the average american who sits on
their ass?

As valid as a study involving a bunch of rugrats...

That is the whole problem...it may never be known what, if any, effects
long term low carbing will have. It would be nearly impossible to isolate
any one cause and effect relationship between diet and overall health.
Old July 13th 04, 05:48 PM
gman99

Nothing new here. The pragmatic problem of micro-analysis is we live in a
macro-world.

But that doesn't mean health science can positively impact how we eat. It
doesn't mean exercise science can't improve our performance. It does mean
you have to be discriminating in how you read studies and apply results
of a study to a broader population.

Very true !! All we can do is make educated guesses...but there are too
many that draw straight lines from A to B without looking at all the ****
in between, they all too often state emphatically that A causes B although
there may be dozens of other contributing factors...and guess
what...they're usually selling something !

Questions to ask Anti Low Carb Doctors ? Steve Weights 43 July 15th 04 12:08 PM
Supplements, Carb Control, Anti Aging mcnitt1 Weights 0 May 17th 04 05:32 AM
Low carb diet article pete Weights 15 January 6th 04 01:41 AM
cholesterol questions - Paging Lyle McDonald Aaron Weights 1 July 11th 03 07:41 AM