Lower back pain stories

Old March 27th 04, 12:11 AM
Tundra Wookie

Default Lower back pain stories

Interested in hearing stories and experiences of treatments from
people with L5 S1 disc herniation issues.

For the curious ones: After ten years of milking my back along,
it's finally hit the point where it causes constant discomfort
and I am having the standard symptoms of nerve root compression.
It has come time to seek real treatment if such a thing exists.

--S

Old March 27th 04, 06:19 AM
badwilson

"Tundra Wookie" wrote in message
Interested in hearing stories and experiences of treatments from
people with L5 S1 disc herniation issues.

For the curious ones: After ten years of milking my back along,
it's finally hit the point where it causes constant discomfort
and I am having the standard symptoms of nerve root compression.
It has come time to seek real treatment if such a thing exists.

My husband had that. For years he did physio, massages, stretching
exercises, blah, blah, blah. We lived in Canada and the wait list for an
MRI was something like 2 years, so it never got properly diagnosed. When we
moved to Thailand 3 years ago, he had an MRI right away and lo and behold,
the disk was herniated. I think it was even the L5 S1, but I'm not sure.
The nerve pain went down his right leg to the calf and he was in constant
pain. The doc said if the pain reaches the foot he may have irreparable
nerve damage. He ended up going to a neurosurgeon in Bangkok who does a ton
of operations for this same problem and had the herniated disk removed. The
operation was quick, the scar only 2 inches on his lower spine and he healed
up really fast (up and about in 2 weeks). It did take a couple of months
for the pain down his leg to fully disappear, but it's as good as new now.
He's not supposed to do high impact jarring movements, no running or tennis.
But he lifts weights again with no problem and does the elliptical for
cardio. Best thing he's ever done, IMO, because he was in so much pain
before. As far as I know there is no real treatment except removing the
disk. Good luck to you.
--
BW

Old March 27th 04, 03:09 PM
Steve Freides

"badwilson" wrote in message

"Tundra Wookie" wrote in message
Interested in hearing stories and experiences of treatments from
people with L5 S1 disc herniation issues.

For the curious ones: After ten years of milking my back along,
it's finally hit the point where it causes constant discomfort
and I am having the standard symptoms of nerve root compression.
It has come time to seek real treatment if such a thing exists.

My husband had that. -snip- As far as I know there is no real treatment
except removing the disk.

__NOT TRUE__!!!

For some people, and I am one of them (I've told my story at least a dozen
times here), if you are willing, you can actually reduce the symptoms of a
herniated disc and, in fact, reduce the size of the herniation that was
putting pressure on the nerve. Read Robin McKenzie's "Treat Your Own Back"
for a more thorough explanation - it's a $10 book that everyone with back
problems that cause pain to radiate down their legs should own. I am living
proof that at least some people can get by without surgery and, I might add,
I can still run and do other "high impact jarring movements". You oughta
see me jerk a pair of heavy kettlebells - _lots_ of high impact, not
something I can do without regard for my back problems, but nonetheless
something I can do.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 27th 04, 04:40 PM
Proton Soup

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:19:46 +0700, "badwilson"
wrote:

"Tundra Wookie" wrote in message
Interested in hearing stories and experiences of treatments from
people with L5 S1 disc herniation issues.

For the curious ones: After ten years of milking my back along,
it's finally hit the point where it causes constant discomfort
and I am having the standard symptoms of nerve root compression.
It has come time to seek real treatment if such a thing exists.

My husband had that. For years he did physio, massages, stretching
exercises, blah, blah, blah. We lived in Canada and the wait list for an
MRI was something like 2 years, so it never got properly diagnosed. When we
moved to Thailand 3 years ago, he had an MRI right away and lo and behold,

Who would have guessed that Thailand has a more accessible medical
system than Canada.

Proton Soup

Old March 28th 04, 06:09 AM
badwilson

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

Well, it's not really a "medical system"... more of a really good private
hospital. Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok is the #1 hospital in Asia. The
operation cost US $4000, including a totally unnecessary but rather pleasant
10 day stay in a private room with balcony. The insurance from my husband's
Canadian employer paid for it all anyway.
--
BW

Old March 28th 04, 07:31 PM
Proton Soup

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:09:35 +0700, "badwilson"
wrote:

ws.com...
wrote:

[...]

Oh, the irony!