Average step size

Old November 17th 05, 09:39 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Default Average step size

Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?
Old November 18th 05, 02:18 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"Your name" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?

Average step size is usually taken to be 30 inches or 75cm, however this is
not linked to the individual's height.

You are not likely to get a useful value, based only on the person's height.
Surprisingly, height is one of the least relevant factors affecting step
size.

Step size (p - pace length) is determined by walking speed (v - velocity)
and pace frequency (c - cadence):
p = v / c
i.e. pace length equals walking speed divided by cadence.
Observe a column of soldiers marching - regardless of their height they will
be "in step". Thus they will be moving at the same speed, cadence and pace
length - regardless of their different individual heights.

Observe a couple, of significantly different heights, walking closely
together and they will probably be "walking in step" - again their pace
lengths will be matched despite their height differences.

Probably the most reliable relationship governing pace length is that is
roughly proportional to the square root of the walking speed. If you double
your walking speed, your pace length (and also your cadence) will go up by
about 40%.

In practice pace length of an individual can vary significantly with:
gradient (steepness of slope) and whether walking up hill or down;
total weight being carried;
personal fitness;
motivation.

--
Regards - Jim

Old November 26th 05, 05:55 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

nice reply Jim.
I measured my pace years ago and it has not changed much overall. My
hiking partner and I can adapt to each other's step length with
reasonable ease(for no special reason) though there is about a foot
difference in our heights. When we are attentive, it is easy for us to
pace in 5 ft increments on reasonably level ground,so we can have a
rough estimate of distance if we want or need it.

Old November 28th 05, 07:51 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Good answer. As an example on the height thing, my wife and I are both
5' 8" tall. My trunk is longer than hers, and her legs are longer than
mine. Same height but different step sizes.

Old March 20th 06, 06:20 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

I would suggest going to a track and pacing 100 meters one way and counting
the number of steps you use.

Then reverse your direction and pace back for 100 meters again counting the
steps.

(This would take into account the wind's effect as you are going both into
it and against it)

Divide the total paces by 200 meters to get your average pace/distance.
oups.com...

Old March 21st 06, 03:45 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"Robert White" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
I would suggest going to a track and pacing 100 meters one way and
counting the number of steps you use.

Then reverse your direction and pace back for 100 meters again counting
the steps.

(This would take into account the wind's effect as you are going both
into it and against it)

Divide the total paces by 200 meters to get your average pace/distance.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Good answer. As an example on the height thing, my wife and I are
both
5' 8" tall. My trunk is longer than hers, and her legs are longer than
mine. Same height but different step sizes.

Back in the day, the standard US Army pace for marching was 120 30inch
steps per minute.

Old February 25th 13, 01:14 AM
Krisanya Krisanya is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for the*informative*post.
Old June 20th 13, 02:02 PM
Jolia Jolia is offline
Junior Member

I also think that you should take 30 inches or 75 cm. That was the best thing for you. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.Facials

Last edited by Jolia : November 28th 13 at 03:47 AM.
Old August 1st 13, 10:18 AM
jayditcher jayditcher is offline
Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to jayditcher Send a message via Skype™ to jayditcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolia View Post
I also think that you should take 30 inches or 75 cm. That was the best thing for you. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.
I couldn't agree more with you, you hit right on the mark.
__________________
BacklinksVault
Old December 21st 13, 12:04 PM
Etikp Etikp is offline
Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to Etikp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your name View Post
Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?
I think it does not matter, you should just walk normally how you walk.
robotic vacuums reviews

4 step repetition BobbyJ Weights 2 April 19th 05 01:40 AM
What's a good aerobics class size? Scott T. Jensen Aerobic 3 April 10th 04 09:28 AM
alternative hypothesis for brain size elzinator Weights 120 March 30th 04 01:54 AM
Two random questions (Bench press and waist size) JT Weights 4 March 12th 04 02:24 AM
Training for size mainunderdawg Weights 2 February 11th 04 12:39 PM