adult learner - is using float suit advisable ???.

Old July 29th 04, 03:44 PM
Sunil Kumar

Default adult learner - is using float suit advisable ???.

Hi!,

I am an adult and very much determined to learn swimming. I attended
swimming classes (just for few days and it was a waste) where my
instructor told me that i was a sinker and that i have to practise a
lot to float and ultimately swim. I go everyday to the pool and try to
swim using some floatation devices. I use a noodel under my belly and
a dumble like object to hold and kick my legs. But the problem is i do
not see any progress and i feel frustrated doing the same thing
everyday. i do not use my hand to push the water nor do i follow the
breathing technique. i keep my head above water and i just keep
kicking.

I have decide to use the float suit so that i can also start using my
hands and learn breathing. My question is, for a newbie is it
advisable to learn swimming using a float suit cos my instructor said
no.

Thank you

Sunil
Old July 29th 04, 10:21 PM
Gleshna

(Sunil Kumar)

Consider fins.

Gleshna

Overheard at 2004 ESA Northeastern Regional Surf Contest:

"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"

Old July 30th 04, 08:21 PM
MM

Sunil,

I was in a similar situation until very recently. I think flotation devices
won't help you. I believe the key is learning how to balance your body in
the water. Can you lie on your back and stay afloat? I found that learning
this skill was crucial for my progress. And at least for me the trick was in
the head position. It has to be pretty much flat in the water with only face
sticking out. As soon as I would bend my neck forward I would sink.
Actually, I learned from the discussions on this forum about the Total
Immersion approach to teaching swimming and I got the "Swimming made easy"
book from my local library and this whole method seems to be about proper
balancing body in the water... Try going to their website
www.totalimmersion.net

/MM

om...

Old July 31st 04, 04:25 PM
Fleur de Lys

I wouldn't recomment it.. being a "sinker" makes it a little harder at the
begining.. but you'll get over that.. taking classes is a good idea.. but as
someone said already.. what makes a big difference while swimming is balance
and position.. not how much you float.. just relax.. take your time.. and
learn the right techniques !

Personaly myself I don't float too good.. didn't keep me from learning how
to swim (though I learned as a kid.. which makes it easier)

Using a floatation (sp ???????) suit will only make you dependent of it..
because when you stop using it you'll have to start all over again and over
that you'll have to loose bad habits you learned from the suit (improper
position etc)

Keep trying.. swimming is the absolute best activity there is ! I just got
back to it and can't believe I spent a whole 5 years without swimming !!!!!

--
Will~

The problem with this world is stupidity, now I'm not saying there should
be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?

Old August 11th 04, 01:24 AM
Colleen Mc Donald

I think being able to float is very closely related to being able to relax
in the water; relax, breathe and practice in water that's not too deep,
maybe up to your chest. Also, I love to float on my back and just gently
move my arms to keep me moving. Don't worry if your legs sink, just move
your arms enough to propel yourself. I find it very easy to float when i
wear my fins but then i'm usually on my tummy and practicing bilateral
breathing; the drag on my ankles when I'm on my back is a bit heavy for me.
Hope this helps.

Old January 5th 14, 05:14 PM
Pocelopolo Pocelopolo is offline
Junior Member