Treadmill advice needed

Old July 7th 08, 09:46 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Peter Clinch

Default Treadmill advice needed

Peter Clinch wrote:

Walk through parks, by roads etc. It's free, the air is fresher and you
get to go places, possibly combining your walk with useful activity
(like collecting some fresh groceries, or calling in on a friend).

An addendum on your local climate being too extreme for walking... where
is that? I'm not aware of anywhere generally inhabited by people where
nobody walks, at least if they choose a reasonable time of day to do it.
40 C during the day? Go out at 22:00 and it'll be much cooler, and the
kids will be in bed too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 7th 08, 09:50 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Peter Clinch writes:

| Walk through parks, by roads etc. It's free, the air is fresher and you
| get to go places, possibly combining your walk with useful activity
| (like collecting some fresh groceries, or calling in on a friend).
|
| An addendum on your local climate being too extreme for walking... where
| is that? I'm not aware of anywhere generally inhabited by people where
| nobody walks, at least if they choose a reasonable time of day to do it.
| 40 C during the day? Go out at 22:00 and it'll be much cooler, and the
| kids will be in bed too.

I am, but not close to the UK. Try Port Harcourt. Quite a few places
are unsuitable at some times of year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old July 7th 08, 05:57 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

wrote in message
On Jul 7, 10:19 am, Bert Hyman wrote:
(Peter Clinch) wrote
:

If you're on a tight budget then don't buy atreadmill: outside your
home you'll find plenty of scope for walking, the only "downside"
being you'll actually go somewhere!

You apparently missed the OP's requirements:

The climate where I live makes outdoor walking impossible most
of the year and, besides, I need to stay at home to watch for
the kids.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

correct. since this seems to be a prerequisite to get an answer I will
add that I have some health problems which make it a bad idea for me
to go away from home. I realize that I could walk around the house
(and take the kids with me), but this would not address some of the
other problems including the tropical heat, humidity, or the famous
Florida mosquitoes and "noseums" (sandflies) (I live on a
*saltmarsh*!). I know, I could carry a fan around the house, stop
every circumnavigation or so do drink, use plenty of bugspray, etc.
but my question was about treadmills, not survival techniques :-)

Having, I hope, addressed the reasons why exactly I want to stay
inside the house to everybody's satisfaction (I hope), I now would
like to repeat my questions:

1) Do NordicTrack treadmills have a good reputation?
2) What do you think of the two models I am considering?
3) Can you think of a better (as in value for the money) deal than
these NordicTrack treadmills?
===================================
It was answered.... twice! at least on rr.

--
DT

Thanks!

Old July 7th 08, 07:14 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

wrote in message
[...]

===============================

Running/walking in a marsh should be very low impact! Also would up the
calories.
And the sandflies should greatly increase your mph, *and* provide an
upperbody workout. smack

Plus you can pee pretty much anywhere, anytime you choose--proly whilst
walking/running!! You cain't even put a price on *dat*!

You got yer own custom-made gym--plus amenities--out there, and you don't
even know it!
--
DT

Thanks!

Old August 22nd 14, 12:26 AM
Elvira18 Elvira18 is offline
Banned

your article is as astounding. The clearness in your publish is simply great
Old February 13th 15, 02:21 PM
BrianMTR BrianMTR is offline
Junior Member

I just want to add a different perspective he

Running is great for all sorts of reasons, but they aren't the only go-to exercise solution.

I used to be stuck indoors a lot. My house wasn't exactly roomy either. But it had stairs. And enough space to run back and forth.

1) Stairs - running up and down works wonders. It's not exactly a straight line, but having to twist and turn and deal with elevation adds a lot of progress to the time you put in.

2) Suicide cardio - Touch the floor, spin around. Rinse and repeat.

3) Around the house - no reason why you can't use your house and the objects/furniture around the place as a track to race around.
Not sure which self-massager tool to use?
Go to http://MassageToolReviews.com/ to learn more about taking care of muscle knots and trigger points.