blisters on back of heel

Old July 10th 15, 12:54 PM posted to rec.running
Sam Seagate

Default blisters on back of heel

Ok, after several years biking, I've been walking for the last several
months. The shoes I have fit ok, but oftentimes I have heel blisters to
deal with when switching pairs, and the blisters occur over the first
couple of weeks until the shoes are broken in. Up until now, I haven't
had much issue with the blisters as the weather was cooler, but now, on
the back of my right leg's heel, the blister is significant and I need
to cover it/ around it with something for a couple of weeks until the
shoes are stretched enough. In the past, the only thing I found that
worked was duck tape, but this always left me with a skin reaction if I
use it for more than a couple of days. This time, I decided to try
"moleskin" and "tegaderm" pad/ band aid, but both came off within the
first few minutes of my walking. Other than duck tape, which stayed on
until the end, what else is available, can be found easily at the local
department store/ pharmacy, won't come off throughout the duration, and
won't cause a skin reaction?
Thank you!

Old July 13th 15, 11:58 AM posted to rec.running
Sam Seagate

On 07/12/2015 02:42 AM, Dot wrote:
On 7/10/2015 3:54 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

I use Coach tape (Johnson & Johnson) and use Cramer Tuf Skin to improve
adherence. (I'm using this to reduce ankle twisting during races, but it
also helps to prevent rubbing on back of heel.) I may use Cramer Tape
Adhesive remover to remove it, but not always needed. I get most of my
tape supplies from http://www.ithacasports.com/athletictape.html

I've used this in 24-hr races and races with 5+ hrs of heavy rain, so I
know the stuff holds when taped properly. This includes letting the
adhesive drying until tacky (about 2-3 min) before applying the tape.

The Coach tape I can get at Wal-Mart, but not most of the other local
stores. Not sure why, it's supposed to be a commonly used tape. There's
about 4 kinds of tape that are similar to Coach, but my feet react
differently with them. They all have a certain amount of latex, but the
wording on labels is different - not sure of implications, but Coach
worked for me, others didn't - at least when I tested about 8 yr ago.
And I haven't switched for any reason.

The tape remover may be the solution to your main issue unless you have
trouble with the skin reaction WHILE you're wearing it. My ankles were
really itchy AFTER I removed it. Sometimes that's related to hair.

Tincture of benzoin may also be used as an adhesive.

Lots of other products and ideas he
http://fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html

Thanks, Dot. Before I read your response, I decided to head out after
church yesterday to see what I could find at local pharmacies. To my
surprise, they all seemed to have just started carrying "KT Tape" i.e.
Elastic Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape. They had both cotton and
synthetic varieties. I wasn't sure and still not sure however if this
is the same "kinseo tex" tape with "micropore" that I read about runners
using for blisters. I decided to pick up some anyway (synthetic). It
was in 20 strips, but very large and I cut out two oval pieces just
slightly larger than the blisters. They did have an adhesive made by the
same company for the tape, but I decided to try "liquid bandage" as it
seems to have somewhat of the same ingredient as the benzoin.

Just completed my initial walk of the week, 6.7 miles @ 4.5 mph.
Verdict: 50/50. For the heel that had the bad blister, the tape did
seem to mostly stay in place, but was turned/wrinkled a bit around the
top of the oval. On the other heel though, the tape rolled away
completely. If I had to guess, I'd say the "liquid bandage" I tried
didn't do the job so may try to return and pick up the KT adhesive
today. Interestingly, none of the pharmacies had the benzoin tincure
and one said they hadn't carried it in years. Go figure.

Over the weekend, I did have an oval bandaid over the worst blister with
the bandaid then covered by the coach tape, but I was afraid to try that
combo this morning. Not that I didn't think it would work, I just
didn't know, so thanks for the info on that.

Sam
Old July 15th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.running
Sam Seagate

On 07/14/2015 10:42 PM, Ed Prochak wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:58:23 AM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
On 07/12/2015 02:42 AM, Dot wrote:
On 7/10/2015 3:54 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
Ok, after several years biking, I've been walking for the last several
months. The shoes I have fit ok, but oftentimes I have heel blisters to
deal with when switching pairs, and the blisters occur over the first
couple of weeks until the shoes are broken in.

=============================^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^

Hi Sam,

here is my comment/advice that I have learned from running and now apply even to dress shoes and such.

When shoes need to be "broken in" what usually is happening is that your feet are adapting to the shoes. One aspect is some damage such as blisters.

I really suggest you get better fitting shoes, ones that fit better than just "ok".

Enjoy the run,
ed

Thanks, ed, but I am finding that the kinseo tape was just what I needed.
I have some adhesive on the way to help the tape stay a bit better, but
it's doing quite well on its own.

True story he I spent at least 7 years, using at least two running
shoe stores, fitting me for various shoes. Every time, I'd have to
return them as blisters would rear their ugly heads at the 2 mi mark.
This was sort of painful because the closest, reliable running shoe
store is at least 50 mi away; there is another one closer, but they only
fitted me with even more blister prone shoes. Finally, last year, on a
whim, I decided to try out a pair of Walmart specials for $12. I
figured it'd be far less loss than the $100+ pairs I kept getting
blisters with. Well, one year later, my hunch was correct. The current
pair I use without any sort of insert and, aside from these heel
blisters I'm getting with warmer weather, they have been great. Wear is
directly in the center of both shoes, which was something the running
stores never did seem to get right, and the fit is just right. They
only last a six weeks, however, before holes start working through them,
but they have been a blast. They are regularly holding up with my 40 lb
overweight frame, 6-7 mi walks, 4-5 days/ week. Blisters weren't an
issue until the mornings became excessively warm, so I blame the weather
and high humidity more than the shoes, but with the tape I now won't
have to worry.

Sam

Study: Few Differences Between Heel, Non-Heel Strikers Michelle Running 4 June 6th 13 07:07 PM
Blisters - HELP! Brettster Running 14 July 30th 07 11:15 AM
Narrow heel - Blisters - Any practical advice? Judith Walking in the UK 29 September 25th 04 10:34 PM
blisters! Friith Walking in the UK 10 June 14th 04 01:39 AM
mom has pain in back of heel curious Running 7 June 7th 04 01:17 PM