Anyone on a low carb diet notice joint pain?

Old October 13th 03, 09:26 PM
0to60

Default Anyone on a low carb diet notice joint pain?

I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

Old October 14th 03, 04:17 PM
Kubaton Lover

"0to60" wrote in message
om...
I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been

having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

I had replied to a post earlier today that was similar. I noticed that my
joint pain (and overall body soreness) seemed to start about the same time
that I started taking Creatine. However, I also started taking 200grams of
protein per day about the same time, so now I have too many variables to
determine a correlation.

I'm interested to hear if there is info regarding protein intake and/or
Creatine and soreness or joint pain.

Old October 14th 03, 04:42 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , 0to60 wrote:
I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

Are you getting adequate calcium ? Not sure that this is the problem, just
wildly speculating that deficiency of it may be bad for your cartilage which
could cause joint irritation.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old October 14th 03, 05:54 PM
Bob MacWilliam

"0to60" wrote in message . com...
I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

I tend to get more aches and pains with low carbs too, but I think
it's more a function of too few calories and slower recovery than
anything else. In other words I think I tend to overtrain when
dieting, because I just can't seem to recover as well as when I'm
full-feeding.

Are you losing weight? This could be the biggest factor, not the lack
of carbs. Also, depending on your specific diet, you could be
nutritionally deficient in some other way.

Bob
Old October 15th 03, 02:07 PM
Gemuetlichkeit1

you need potassium supplements and or start using potassium salt in yiour food
such as morton lite salt...
Gem
Old October 16th 03, 02:30 AM
Demetri Karavas

"Donovan Rebbechi" wrote in message
In article , 0to60 wrote:
I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been

having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

Are you getting adequate calcium ? Not sure that this is the problem, just
wildly speculating that deficiency of it may be bad for your cartilage

which
could cause joint irritation.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Do you think it could be a result of holding less water from being on a low
carb diet? I've done low-carb for years and haven't noticed joint pain from
cutting my carbs but if there is less water in a body would there be less
lubrication (or even cushiony fat ... mmmm fat, ads the flavor) for the
joint?

Demetri

Old November 24th 03, 07:33 PM
Dale Ellis

"0to60" wrote in message
om...
I've been low-carbin' it for about 6 months now, and lately I've been

having
more joint pain (elbows and shoulders) than normal. Is there any
correlation between the diet and the joint pain, do you think?

My brother-in-law found that when he started low-carbing his gout flared up.
He said it is a build-up of uric acid from high protein. The uric acid
forms crystals and produces swelling and pain the his joints. Obviously,
this is not a problem that most people would have. His came from a bout
with testicular cancer and the chemo he went through.
Drinking more water is a good policy as a general rule anyway.

Dale Ellis