UK law regarding knives used by trekkers/campers.

Old May 24th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

Default UK law regarding knives used by trekkers/campers.

Does anyone happen to know the legal situation in the UK regarding
carrying a knife on hiking trips for camping purposes (folding knife,
sheath knife, etc.)? And who, and in what circumstances a
trekker/camper would be liable to be arrested and charged for carrying
an illegal knife?

Thanks,

Phil W
Old May 24th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

"Phil W" wrote in message

Does anyone happen to know the legal situation in the UK regarding
carrying a knife on hiking trips for camping purposes (folding knife,
sheath knife, etc.)? And who, and in what circumstances a
trekker/camper would be liable to be arrested and charged for carrying
an illegal knife?

Thanks,

Phil W

See http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

Gerry

Old May 24th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

In article , Phil W
writes

Does anyone happen to know the legal situation in the UK regarding
carrying a knife on hiking trips for camping purposes (folding knife,
sheath knife, etc.)?

The law specifically exempts any folding knife with a blade length of 3
inches or less so long as it does not have an automatic lock (a lock
that engages automatically on opening the knife). Any knife with a fixed
blade or automatic lock (which case law has dictated is considered a
fixed blade) is illegal to carry in public unless you have a reasonable
excuse to do so.

And who, and in what circumstances a
trekker/camper would be liable to be arrested and charged for carrying
an illegal knife?

Any circumstance in which they did not have a reasonable excuse to be
carrying the knife. If you do not have it on public display (e.g. keep
it buried in your rucksack) I think it would be highly unlikely for it
to be found and if found I would be very surprised if a police officer
would consider it a problem unless you had been acting suspiciously.

A 4 inch sheath knife might be quite easy to justify but 12 inches of
Rambo style survival knife might be a little more difficult.

These sites may be of interest.

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/a...&showarticle=5
6

--

Dominic Sexton
Old May 24th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

In article , Dominic Sexton
writes
In article , Phil W
writes

[...]

The law appears to make no distinction between plastic and metal knives,
or between pointed knives and saws.

I would dearly like to know where I can get a good folding breadsaw
from. It needs to be a bit longer than 3 inches, and to lock for my own
safety.
--
Ken
Old May 24th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

On Wed, 24 May 2006 16:54:54 +0100, Fran
wrote:

said...

| Does anyone happen to know the legal situation in the UK regarding
| carrying a knife on hiking trips for camping purposes (folding knife,
| sheath knife, etc.)? And who, and in what circumstances a
| trekker/camper would be liable to be arrested and charged for carrying
| an illegal knife?
|
|I think you'll find that as long as you have a legitimate reason for
|carrying the knife you're OK. I carry one on my belt for archery
|(arrows occasionally get stuck in trees or fences etc); anglers use them
|for sorting out line and fish; divers strap knives to their calves or
|thighs in case of trouble underwater; campers have them for cooking and
|eating etc. Should you happen to be brandishing a knife whilst walking
|along your local high street, however, you can expect (and will probably
|get) the attention of someone in Authority.

Not to mention cooks, I have several quite lethal cooks knives.
Old May 24th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

Fran wrote:

Should you happen to be brandishing a knife whilst walking
along your local high street, however, you can expect (and will probably
get) the attention of someone in Authority.

What sort of 'someone in Authority'? You can't mean - (nah, you're
probably too young to remember them) - a policeman on the beat?

rant-mode
For those younger than 50, perhaps I should explain:
You know those uniformed people that either race around in flash cars
catching people exceeding the speed limit, or sit in control rooms
watching fuzzy pictures of crimes being committed? Well (and you're not
going to believe this), they used to walk around our streets,
discouraging crime and apprehending criminals! When I was young, my
parents used to tell me 'if you're lost or want to know the time, ask a
policeman'. If you tell that now to a child below school age, they won't
know what your talking about - because they're quite likely to have
never actually seen a policeman on foot! The policeman on the beat was
ubiquitous such that they carried a whistle to summon assistance from
another officer _within_earshot_ - not the next county!
/rant-mode

I feel a little better now, but I think I'll still have a lie down!

Jim Ford
Old May 24th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

"Phil W" wrote in message

Does anyone happen to know the legal situation in the UK regarding
carrying a knife on hiking trips for camping purposes (folding knife,
sheath knife, etc.)? And who, and in what circumstances a
trekker/camper would be liable to be arrested and charged for carrying
an illegal knife?

When in Scotland, where there is a different legal system from the rest of
the UK, folding knives are permissible, but a sheath knife would be
different, and you would have to establish that your posession of the knife
was reasonable...
see
http://www.police-information.co.uk/...html#Offensive

--
Duncan Gray

www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk
The Mountaineering Council of Scotland

Old May 24th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

said...
Should you happen to be brandishing a knife whilst walking
along your local high street, however, you can expect (and will probably
get) the attention of someone in Authority.

What sort of 'someone in Authority'? You can't mean - (nah, you're
probably too young to remember them) - a policeman on the beat?

I remember the bobby on the beat well enough, but that's not hard since
Dai Plod is still in evidence on the streets of Cardiff city centre and
indeed walking up and down Treorchy's main street on market day. Dai
Plod often does point duty round here as well, lurking at street corners
and certain traffic lights at unexpected times, for to catch the unwary.
I'll grant that there aren't as many beat coppers now as there used to
be; however there are fewer of them in total, and if Mr Plod is wanted
it's quicker for him to get there by car. I agree that the ever-present
sight of the bobby pounding the pavements is an evocative one, but
somehow I doubt if George Dixon ever really existed except in our
imaginations. After all, even Sergeant Bert Lynch had a car... :-)

But going back to the point, if I saw someone who looked even remotely
out for trouble, and that somebody was brandishing a knife or other
weapon of crass destruction, I'd have no hesitation in dialling 999.
And I'd much rather the bobby could get to the scene of potential
problems within a few minutes instead of having to hoof it the several
of miles from wherever he happened to be at the time.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.
Old May 24th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking

On Wed, 24 May 2006 17:41:07 GMT, Jim Ford
wrote:

|Fran wrote:
|
| Should you happen to be brandishing a knife whilst walking
| along your local high street, however, you can expect (and will probably
| get) the attention of someone in Authority.
|
|What sort of 'someone in Authority'? You can't mean - (nah, you're
|probably too young to remember them) - a policeman on the beat?
|
|rant-mode
|For those younger than 50, perhaps I should explain:
|You know those uniformed people that either race around in flash cars
|catching people exceeding the speed limit, or sit in control rooms
|watching fuzzy pictures of crimes being committed? Well (and you're not
|going to believe this), they used to walk around our streets,
|discouraging crime and apprehending criminals! When I was young, my
|parents used to tell me 'if you're lost or want to know the time, ask a
|policeman'. If you tell that now to a child below school age, they won't
|know what your talking about - because they're quite likely to have
|never actually seen a policeman on foot! The policeman on the beat was
|ubiquitous such that they carried a whistle to summon assistance from
|another officer _within_earshot_ - not the next county!
|/rant-mode

All too true :-(