A newbie question about weight loss vs strength - please help!

Old April 8th 04, 10:26 PM
grubas

Default A newbie question about weight loss vs strength - please help!

Hi everybody!

There is a question I would like to put you more experienced guys.
Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!

Now a short problem description. Having been very obese (use to weight
108 kg on Jan 1), I started to work-out and diet. I swim a mile every
day, run on a treadmill 30-40 minutes a day. During the last month I
also started to lift weights 2-3 times a week. At the same time, I eat
only a shrimp & mussle salad for lunch, one load of bread with cheese
and three slices of salami for breakfast and nothing more - with the
exception of fruit and a lot of orange juice.

It has worked splendidly - I am down to 83 kilograms, which means that
I shed 25 kilograms (about 55 pounds) in three months, without
actually feeling hungry at any time (diet Coke and sugar-free candy
are excellent ways to still the hunger with almost no calory gain). I
can run much longer and faster than I ever could, and so on. However,
everything seems to come at a price.

_THE PROBLEM_ is that I have gotten _MUCH WEAKER_. Before I started
this diet/excercise program, I was able to bench-press 110 kg (about
245 pounds). By now, 85 kg is most I can manage. Before, used to
work-out regularly with 85 kg (three sets of 10 reps of 85 kg
bench-presses). Now I work out with a much smaller weight - 65 or 67
kg, since I can't manage 3 times 10 reps with 70 kg. Either way, it
seems that I lost about 20 - 25 kg in strength.

What can I do about it? Is there a way of burning fat without losing
strength? Should I change my diet / eating habits? If so - in what
way? Even better - is there a way to build muscle _and_ burn fat at
the same time? I guess every body builder has been confronted by this
question - so please, give me some feedback and advice! I would like
to shed another 5-6 kg of fat (I still have a small potbelly), but
preferably without getting even weaker!

All advice is warmly appreciated!

Happy Easter!

Grubas.
Old April 9th 04, 02:07 AM
Jerome M. Katz

I believe that your problem might be that you are not eating enough to
keep up your strength. The normal recommendation here in the States is
not to lose more than 2 lbs per week which would be 8-9 lbs per month
or 24-25 lbs in 3 months (Feb. is a short month). You have lost more
than twice that amount.

Old April 9th 04, 07:31 PM
No Spam

_THE PROBLEM_ is that I have gotten _MUCH WEAKER_. Before I started
this diet/excercise program, I was able to bench-press 110 kg (about
245 pounds). By now, 85 kg is most I can manage. Before, used to
work-out regularly with 85 kg (three sets of 10 reps of 85 kg
bench-presses). Now I work out with a much smaller weight - 65 or 67
kg, since I can't manage 3 times 10 reps with 70 kg. Either way, it
seems that I lost about 20 - 25 kg in strength.

What can I do about it?

Slow down the weight loss to less than 1 kg (1-2lbs) per week.

Unless you are a complete beginner to working out, you *will* lose
both fat & muscle regardless. Keeping the loss to under/at 1 kg per
week will help keep muscle loss to a minimum.

Is there a way of burning fat without losing
strength?

Only one time... when you are a beginner... at 3 months, you are
probably past that period.

Should I change my diet / eating habits?

Yes

If so - in what way?

Eat more calories... not so much to where you starting gaining, but
enough to slow down your weight loss.

Even better - is there a way to build muscle _and_ burn
fat at the same time?

Again, only once, as a beginner. But once you've been working out
for a period of time, the answer becomes "no".

I guess every body builder has been confronted by this
question - so please, give me some feedback and advice! I would like
to shed another 5-6 kg of fat (I still have a small potbelly), but
preferably without getting even weaker!

With only 5-6kg left to go... keep up the strength training, and eat
about 200 calories less than your daily maintenance needs.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 09:43 PM
Hardgainer question Martin Thompson Weights 109 October 7th 03 05:20 PM
Proper bench press technique Ted Theodoropoulos Weights 52 September 19th 03 07:11 PM