Treadmill advice needed

Old July 7th 08, 08:01 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

Default Treadmill advice needed

wrote in message
Hi,

I am thinking about buying my first treadmill. My family and I are on
a very, very tight budget and we are counting every penny so this is a
huge decision for us and I need some help in deciding which one to
pick.

I am 6 foot 3 (189cm) for 252 pounds (115kgs) and I need to walk for
about 30min on a daily basis to loose weight. The climate where I
live makes outdoor walking impossible most of the year and, besides, I
need to stay at home to watch for the kids. I do not plan to run on
the treadmill, only walk, initially slowly (I am very much out of
shape), but eventually at a brisk pace to get a good aerobic exercise.

I have been initially tempted to buy the NordicTrack C2155 (
http://tinyurl.com/5amgjq )

But the newer NordicTrack A2350 looks even better to me (
http://tinyurl.com/5mfsxs
)

My questions to you a

1) Do NordicTrack treadmills have a good reputation?
2) What do you think of the two models I am considering?
3) Can you think of a better (as in value for the money) deal than
these NordicTrack treadmills?

Many thanks for any pointers!

Mamadu

Google the phrase strength-endurance, and don't settle for just a
treadmill. Google also "ross budget training" and read his web site.
There are a ton of things one can do, at home, for little or no money,
to build both strength and conditioning, and certainly for well less
than the cost of a treadmill of any sort.

My choice would be a kettlebell plus the book "Enter The Kettlebell" by
Pavel Tsatsouline - the combination will cost you about $200 and is
widely available. Or buy yourself a screw-on dumbbell set at the local
mega-mart plus a jump rope - that combination will cost you $50. Or any
of a thousand other things. Just say no to the dishonor of dieting and
aerobics and get stronger _and_ well-conditioned instead - and lose
weight while doing it.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 7th 08, 08:41 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

As usual, Friedes is partially right in his obs/recs, but has so far to go
as yet in trying to get over himself, that the correct stuff is often
unrecognizable, buried beneath his sundry personal issues and
self-preoccupations.

He is right that walking is perhaps a middling approach to complete fitness,
but it is an excellent beginning, certainly a very convenient tool, and
actually capable of burning a lot of calories. And possibly a requisite
beginning for many people.
I myself walk 2-4 hours/week, brisk and up-hill (both ways!), in preference
to running in summers. In winter, the emphasis is more on running.

Nothing wrong with aerobics, nothing wrong with dieting, when done
intelligently and in context.
As a culture, we just eat too goddammuch anyway, and the zeitgeist of
"revving up our metabolisms" so's we can eat even *more* is just effing
ludicrous, profligate, and reprobate. And immoral.

I am a big believer in weights and HIT, but everything in time.
The site Friedes refers to is rosstraining.com, and it is indeed an
excellent site--altho pretty intense stuff, but which you can always tailor
for yourself.

If you look at the cultures renowned for their longevity and health,
walking/hiking/carrying/herding is likely the full extent of their
"exercise"--they just do lots of it.

Also, if you are going to go the eventual weight-route, forget about Friedes
and his obsession with effing kettlebells.
KBs certainly aren't bad, but *nary a person on this planet* can rationally
explain why KBs are *at all* better than dumbbells, save for one or two
possible moves.

Whilst there are a litany of people who can cogently argue why dumbbells are
FAR better than KBs.
DBs serve the same basic function--resistance-- but are *far* more
versatile, more economical, more ergonomic, more use-able..... you get the
idea.
But Friedes doesn't. And never will.

It takes time and experience to figger out the context and "hierarchy" of
all the fitness options available, and altho I don't really like treadmills
myself, they can be a very good option/place to start. And for some people,
indispensable.

--
DT

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 8th 08, 03:45 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

wrote in message
[...]

Personal attacks serve no purpose, so stick to the issues at hand.

He is right that walking is perhaps a middling approach to complete
fitness, but it is an excellent beginning, certainly a very convenient
tool, and actually capable of burning a lot of calories. And possibly
a requisite beginning for many people.
I myself walk 2-4 hours/week, brisk and up-hill (both ways!), in
preference to running in summers. In winter, the emphasis is more on
running.

I walk quite a bit as well, e.g., I walked about 4 miles yesterday with
my wife in two outings, the first a mile each way to a local farmers
market and home with produce, the second an evening visit to a friend a
mile each way. It is a lovely thing to do, and sufficient for many
purposes, e.g., the elderly, but I assume our original poster is middle
aged or younger because he/she did not indicate otherwise.

[...]

You miss the point entirely. No one says kettlebells are better or
worse. Read my reply again - it begins with the words "my choice would
be" and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure
out that he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine and I'm not
bashful about doing that. That you seem to feel my opinion carries the
weight of some religious dictum is your problem, I'm afraid.

It takes time and experience to figger out the context and "hierarchy"
of all the fitness options available, and altho I don't really like
treadmills myself, they can be a very good option/place to start. And
for some people, indispensable.

There are many better ways to exercise. Working up to doing
strength/endurance training is, in my opinion, a better choice for most
people most of the time.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

--
DT

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 8th 08, 11:23 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

wrote in message
[...]

Dude, I thought I was oh-ficially kill-filed by you, as you most often
completely ignore what I say in a given thread, and blindly post yer own
stuff, often just repeating what I said--further evidence of your
self-preoccupation.
But since you ARE apparently reading my stuff, I'll tone down the
insults--at least the gratuitous ones.

He is right that walking is perhaps a middling approach to complete
fitness, but it is an excellent beginning, certainly a very convenient
tool, and actually capable of burning a lot of calories. And possibly a
requisite beginning for many people.
I myself walk 2-4 hours/week, brisk and up-hill (both ways!), in
preference to running in summers. In winter, the emphasis is more on
running.

I walk quite a bit as well, e.g., I walked about 4 miles yesterday with my
wife in two outings, the first a mile each way to a local farmers market
and home with produce, the second an evening visit to a friend a mile each
way. It is a lovely thing to do, and sufficient for many purposes, e.g.,
the elderly, but I assume our original poster is middle aged or younger
because he/she did not indicate otherwise.

But clearly not ready for Ross training--re-read his post.

[...]

And why would that be your choice, *if you didn't believe KBs were
superior*?
Are you now adding disingenuousness to your repertoire?

I will say *flat out* that dumbbells are superior to kettlebells, for most
applications/users.

The difference between you and me is

1. I'm not wrapped up in fukn mystical Medievil Russia fantasyland, and all
its kettlebell soldier trappings, like some child playing with toy trains;
2. I can defend my statements in some detail, and
3. I'm not selling either dumbbells or kettlebells.

and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure out that
he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine and I'm not bashful
about doing that.

But, the OP DOES need YOUR help, right?? please.......

That you seem to feel my opinion carries the weight of some religious
dictum

It DOES! See (1) above.

is your problem, I'm afraid.

It takes time and experience to figger out the context and "hierarchy" of
all the fitness options available, and altho I don't really like
treadmills myself, they can be a very good option/place to start. And
for some people, indispensable.

There are many better ways to exercise. Working up to doing
strength/endurance training is, in my opinion, a better choice for most
people most of the time.

I agree, but probably not this time, AT this time, for this OP.
AND, I *already* quite alluded to this, but you, as usual, choose to
re-invent the wheel.

I will say one thing, tho:

You are absolutely correct in the very last line of your previous post:
Get stronger/well-conditioned AND lose weight while doing it.

A subtle, but very profound point, that escapes most of Merka, as they chase
the holy grails of effing abs, weight loss, and long lean effing muscles as
they morph into a dancer's body.

Many of your insights are legitimate, so it's too bad you choose to view the
world through Steve Freides binoculars, and think your KB workout routines
should be fresco-ed in a Systine Chapel.

When you sell your kettlebells, do you autograph them?
--
DT

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

--
DT

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 8th 08, 01:38 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

wrote in message
[...]

A couple of times a year or so, I empty all my killfiles - everyone
deserves a second chance, even you, although based on this dialogue, I'm
not sure how long you're going to last.

[...]

You continue to put words into my mouth. I didn't say he should do
everything on the video, just look at it because it has good ideas about
training inexpensively for a wide variety of goals.

[...]

You are again assuming everyone looks at the world the way you do. I
don't assume that my choices are right for everyone. I am happy with my
choices for me so, sure, you could say I think kettlebell training is
the best way to go about it - for me. I don't suggest further than
that. I mention it because many people aren't aware of the type of
training I do and its potential benefits - as many people aren't aware
of the type of training Ross does and its benefits. A newsgroup's
purpose, IMHO, is to provide information - armed with information,
everyone can and should make their own choices.

I will say *flat out* that dumbbells are superior to kettlebells, for
most applications/users.

Then you will be much more dogmatic than me. My training includes
kettlebells, a chinup bar, a barbell, some jump stretch bands, rings,
and even dumbbells once in a while. I don't consider any of them
"superior" because the question is "superior for what?" Who is
stronger, a powerlifter or an Olympic lifter? It depends on which
activity you ask them to do? Who is stronger, a Tour de France cyclist
or a strongman competitor? Again, it depends on what you will use for
your test. There is no "superior" to be had here. Surely no one would
hire an architect who said "this design is best for everyone."
Likewise, I recommend strongly that no one take training advice from
anyone who says one particular tool is superior to all others - each has
their place, and each has multiple uses. There are many, many good
training approaches out there, as there are many ineffective ones.

The difference between you and me is

1. I'm not wrapped up in fukn mystical Medievil Russia fantasyland,
and all its kettlebell soldier trappings, like some child playing with
toy trains;

Again, personal attacks do nothing but discredit your point of view
here.

2. I can defend my statements in some detail, and

Neither of us has gone into any great detail about the benefits of any
particular kind of training, nor do I think we need to until asked.
Suffice it to say I can also defend my statements when and if I feel
it's appropriate.

3. I'm not selling either dumbbells or kettlebells.

That is your wish. You can read, on my web site, about the commercial
aspect of what I do, such as it is. In brief, I don't sell anything,
but I do make a commission from web sales that I point to the DragonDoor
site. Needless to say, I hope, I do other things for a living. Mostly
I am a classical musician, teaching at the college level and privately,
and performing occasionally as well. I also am a part-time personal
trainer, but I do not follow the usual model - I teach exercise like I
teach music, giving lessons no more often than once a week and expecting
my students to practice on their own. You and anyone may read reviews
of me as an instructor, hosted on the DragonDoor site, via a link from
my main web page.

and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure out
that he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine and I'm not
bashful about doing that.

But, the OP DOES need YOUR help, right?? please.......

No, the OP asked a question on a newsgroup and, this being a free place
to exchange ideas, I offered mine. Whether or not they're helpful is up
to the OP.

That you seem to feel my opinion carries the weight of some religious
dictum

It DOES! See (1) above.

Would you care to enlighten us as to who you are, what expertise and/or
experience you bring to this discussion, and provide any evidence of the
point of view you espouse having worked for you? I have done all that
and more and continue to do so on a regular basis.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 9th 08, 01:28 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

wrote in message
[...]

insult mode largely off

your Why Kettlebells page on your site

You cannot intelligently or credibly ask Why Kettlebells without immediately
following up with Why Not Dumbbells.
Or preferably, dispensing with the exclusionary tact, address an unbiased
Perspective on KBs and DBs.

Just from pure academic and conceptual povs, which presumably you hold dear
to your heart, the total absence of even a *mention* of dumbbells on your
Why Kettlebells page is a glaring omission. And is inconsistent with your
"holistic" approach to training--or at least of your claims thereof.

Oh, yeah, you *did* mention dumbbells:
"These concepts can and should be applied to all exercise but it's
easy to be mindless when you're on a treadmill or exercise bicycle or
swinging lightweight dumbells or pushing the lever on a machine."

That is an utterly irresponsible misrepresentation of dumbbells. And of
treadmills, for that matter.

And, I hate to say it, but the whole page is littered with non-sequiturs,
false innuendo, and unwarranted slurs to aerobic methods.
Really not worthy of a self-professed acadamician, esp one who professes a
multi-method "holistic" approach to fitness.

I myself have experimented at some length with squeezing aerobic effects out
of anaerobic techniques, and indeed it can be done--very successfully, and
in a number of regards superior-ly to aerobic methods themselves.
BUT,
One cannot even *attempt* the "aerobicizing of the anaerobic" without very
specific concepts in biomechanics and physiology, none of which are evident
on your site.
So your implicit/explicit implications that "KBs can do it all" really don't
have a rational basis.

And, my own methods/successes notwithstanding, running/walking *still* hold
a special place in the CV arena.
And altho I myself am not a fan of treadmills, HRMs, and all the rest,
nevertheless in many many cases, they can be useful and/or the best
compromise, the best solution to the fitness problem, as the situation might
currently stand.

Your slurs, direct and indirect, by comission and by omission, are simply
not responsible, and thus do not further the cause of a rational general
fitness.

It is also a dicey proposition to hold one's self up as an example of the
validity of a method--any method--as this is essentially the fallacy of
arguments pro hominem.

Much better to hold court on a contextual strategy for as many methods as
one feels competent in, and simply point to your own regimen as one possible
example, that happens to have brought you success.

At worst, some could call you a shill for DragonDoor;
At best, it would seem you have simply not given other methods their
contextual perspective and fair shake, esp. regarding dumbbells.

I personally don't view you as a shill for DD, and believe your intentions
are sincere and good, but I also think you are not nearly as intellectually
open and neutral as you think you are.
An academic who winds up treating his subject unacademically inherently
shoots himself in the foot.

As you may or may not know, I *make* exercise apparatus, up until now on a
custom and prototype basis, but soon to be in production. I even make an
item adaptable for KBs!

And I of course think my stuff is Da Bomb, but I endorse all legitimate
venues (which pretty much excludes all ab products and other infomercial
junk), *including KBs*, but with the perennial footnote that some venues,
products, strategies, etc. deliver *inherently* more bang fer yer exercise
buck (time, money, energy, drama, versatility, etc.) than others.

Dumbbells are one of the products/strategies that inherently deliver more
bang for most users' bucks than other alternatives, such as rubber bands
and, in this case, KBs.
Not because KBs are bad, but rather because they are inherently more
specialized, being asymmetric in their gripping method.

I think it is clear that all of Pavel's methods are immediately adaptable to
DBs, and the responsible thing would be to acknowledge this.
IOW, Pavel's methods and KBs are really two different things.

A weight, when all is said and done, is a weight.
The real issue is then, How convenient is it to use a given embodiment of a
weight?

Just a quick running note and example of said embodiment:

Running with KBs would be virtually impossible.

But, Leonard Schwartz's HeavyHands (yes, running with those mindless
lightweight dumbbells you mention on your Why KettleBells page) is one of
the best whole-body conditioning systems ever formalized.

Just one example of inherent dumbbell versatility, AND an example of how an
ostensibly anaerobic tool can quite enhance the aerobic.

His 1982 book is one of the best in popular fitness ever written. Really an
education.

But you don't see fit to mention any of this anywhere on your site....

The OP would do very well for himself to read this book. The method is
quite do-able on a treadmill.

--
DT

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 9th 08, 04:44 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Elflord

On 2008-07-08, Steve Freides wrote:

You miss the point entirely. No one says kettlebells are better or
worse. Read my reply again -

Your "reply" was a non-sequiter that completely ignored the OP's question
which was about buying treadmills and instead consisted of unsolicited advice
about training methods.

This is a consistent pattern in your posts. You are not responsive to
questions posed. At best this reflects an egocentric world view, and as such
it is seen as heavy handed or even a bit rude.

it begins with the words "my choice would
be"

What your "choice would be" is neither responsive nor relevant to the OP's
question.

and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure
out that he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine

Which was not responsive to OP's question.

The OP was not asking for a critique of his/her approach to training, or
soliciting novel training methods.

and I'm not
bashful about doing that. That you seem to feel my opinion carries the
weight of some religious dictum is your problem, I'm afraid.

The fact that you "respond" to the OP's question with a request or at the very
least, an invitation to abandon their approach and instead come around to your
way of thinking creates the impression that you are here to proselytize rather
than to help.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old July 9th 08, 01:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

On 2008-07-08, Steve Freides wrote:

[...]

Often 3/4 of the battle is asking the right question, and I don't
consider it proselytizing to suggest that the wrong question may have
been asked. Sorry if you think otherwise. In my opinion, anyone in the
OP's position - wanting to exercise and lose weight - ought to be aware
of the entire continuum of exercise possibilities, from pure
strength/power training to aerobic/endurance training. Many people
think their only option is to, well, whatever it is they've been exposed
to, and it seems to be some sort of "default" response among many: Oh,
I'm overweight, guess I better start running.

My main purpose in responding to this question is to "proselytize" my
belief that one ought to investigate _all_ options, and then to
specifically mention those options I believe the OP hasn't considered
and with which I am familiar enough to be able to assist. If the OP
isn't interested, he needn't respond to me and that will be the end of
it.

Having done that several messages ago, I will refrain from further
police the otherwise free conversations here.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 9th 08, 02:12 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Elflord

On 2008-07-09, Steve Freides wrote:

Often 3/4 of the battle is asking the right question, and I don't
consider it proselytizing to suggest that the wrong question may have
been asked.

OK, but this means that your position is to respond to almost any question
with "wrong question. Here is my answer to the right question!"

As I wrote previously, this at best demonstrates an egocentric world view. [1]

Sorry if you think otherwise. In my opinion, anyone in the
OP's position - wanting to exercise and lose weight - ought to be aware
of the entire continuum of exercise possibilities, from pure

That's *YOUR* opinion. It may not be OP's opinion (which doesn't seem to
matter, see (1)).

If OP wants to "be aware" of this, they will ask a question about it.

Unless the OP's question is obviously based on false premises, it seems
rather presumptuous to "correct" their question for the purpose of
proseletyzing.

[snip]
My main purpose in responding to this question is to "proselytize" my
belief that one ought to investigate _all_ options, and then to
specifically mention those options I believe the OP hasn't considered
and with which I am familiar enough to be able to assist. If the OP

I believe you pretty much went straight to your favourite options. I didn't
see much attempt to open a dialog about other options. it was more of an
attempt to shoe-horn the discussion into your agenda. Again, see (1).

[snip]
Having done that several messages ago, I will refrain from further
police the otherwise free conversations here.

My criticism of your approach *IS* part of the "free conversation" here.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old July 9th 08, 04:38 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
BradC

On 2008-07-09, Steve Freides wrote:

[...]

Yours is the egocentric police view. People are free to chime in and
suggest better questions and the OP is free to filter them out. I for one
have been happy a couple of times to find out I was asking the wrong
question. Get used to the Internet and the free flow of information.