A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » Walking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Just starting out

Old October 24th 12, 12:56 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Oct 2012
Default Just starting out

Hi Folks

I'm a 45 year old male. 5'8" and 280 lbs. Non smoker.

I've just started walking after pretty much a lifetime of sitting on my ass, I'm taking it pretty slow to start but I don't have much experience to judge anything by. I was hoping somebody here could let me know if I'm even doing anything.

I've cut junk food form my diet. No more candy or cupcakes, but I do still drink a can of soda per day and a 6-pack per week.

My exercise at the moment is just a short walk; by google earth I'm walking from 1115' above sea level for 0.16 miles to 980', then another 0.16 miles back to 1115'. this takes me about 10 minutes for the round trip.

Hitting the bottom of the hill I feel fine, but when I get back to the top my heart is racing and I'm completely out of breath. I have to grit my teeth to make the whole walk without stopping. It takes me about 5 minutes to breath normally again.

I've been doing this walk 1 time per day for two weeks now. My thought was whenever I am able to reach the top with some breath left, I'll head back down again right away. So far, I've not noticed it getting any easier; but then I never thought it would be a quick process to lose a lifetime of fat.

My questions then;

Is this a good walk? Would longer over a flat area be better?
How to you calculate calories lost on a climb like this?
How long does it take to build stamina?

Thanks for any help.
Old November 29th 12, 01:45 PM
Banned

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Nov 2012

You could use a multi function pedometer to check the number of calories burnt and steps walked. Most smart phones have pedometer programs you can download or you could buy a hip pedometer from a health/fitness store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent View Post
Hi Folks

I'm a 45 year old male. 5'8" and 280 lbs. Non smoker.

I've just started walking after pretty much a lifetime of sitting on my ass, I'm taking it pretty slow to start but I don't have much experience to judge anything by. I was hoping somebody here could let me know if I'm even doing anything.

I've cut junk food form my diet. No more candy or cupcakes, but I do still drink a can of soda per day and a 6-pack per week.

My exercise at the moment is just a short walk; by google earth I'm walking from 1115' above sea level for 0.16 miles to 980', then another 0.16 miles back to 1115'. this takes me about 10 minutes for the round trip.

Hitting the bottom of the hill I feel fine, but when I get back to the top my heart is racing and I'm completely out of breath. I have to grit my teeth to make the whole walk without stopping. It takes me about 5 minutes to breath normally again.

I've been doing this walk 1 time per day for two weeks now. My thought was whenever I am able to reach the top with some breath left, I'll head back down again right away. So far, I've not noticed it getting any easier; but then I never thought it would be a quick process to lose a lifetime of fat.

My questions then;

Is this a good walk? Would longer over a flat area be better?
How to you calculate calories lost on a climb like this?
How long does it take to build stamina?

Thanks for any help.
Old September 2nd 13, 01:13 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Sep 2013

Thank you for posting this information!)
Old September 20th 13, 02:24 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Sep 2013

Hi,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining this discussion board.
It is a good place for the discussion. Here you will get all necessary help for you exercising and fitness matters.

Last edited by Martin125 : September 23rd 13 at 01:15 PM.