Glue or Sealant for Soles of Boots and Shoes

Old May 24th 16, 01:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
john west

Default Glue or Sealant for Soles of Boots and Shoes

It seems to me durability of soles and heels for Shoes and Boots these
days just gets less and less.

A while ago when the Woolworths shops were in business I could get
rubber corners to stick on to the heels, which preserved the life span
considerably.

I have recently bought a rubbery glue specially made for soles and
heels, but this also does not wear at all well. Annoyingly the contents
of the tube dry solid quickly despite me wrapping the tube in aluminum
cooking foil to keep the air out.

On the internet i can see some very expensive adhesives, but how well
they would perform in terms of wear and tear on shoes is anyone's guess.

Has anyone any suggestions on might be out there in the market place.
There seem so many products available like the 'Sealants' that come in
sealant guns. Some of these might just be suitable does anyone have any
ideas please?
Old May 24th 16, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
michael adams[_2_]

"john west" wrote in message

[...]

Shoe Goo

Both on Amazon and ebay.

Was around 4-5 a big tube but keep an eye on the sizes.

You could probably still source the rubber corners on eBay or Amazon

If you don't know the precise name just type in something shoe repair related
and they may come up in the further suggestions

michael adams

Old May 24th 16, 02:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Another Dave

On 24/05/16 13:37, john west wrote:

It seems to me durability of soles and heels for Shoes and Boots these
days just gets less and less.

A while ago when the Woolworths shops were in business I could get
rubber corners to stick on to the heels, which preserved the life span
considerably.

Do you mean this sort of thing?

http://tinyurl.com/gmmde66

I haven't tried them, I'm just looking for a solution myself. I've just
bought three pairs of expensive shoes which I am now assured can't be
repaired.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Old May 24th 16, 02:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Dan S. MacAbre

john west wrote:

[...]

If you have a tube of plastic cement (like the Marley stuff) lying
around, that might be worth a try. I wouldn't go out and buy it
especially, though. There are some things even that won't touch.
Old May 24th 16, 03:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Robin[_3_]

On 24/05/2016 14:22, michael adams wrote:

Shoe Goo

+1

Was around 4-5 a big tube but keep an eye on the sizes.

and the way it comes in black or "clear"

--
Robin
Old May 24th 16, 07:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
polygonum

On 24/05/2016 13:37, john west wrote:

Has anyone any suggestions on might be out there in the market place.

A while back Lidl did a selection of adhesives in a "special". I bought
a tube of shoe glue but have not yet used it - so no idea what it is
like in use. It was quite low priced.

--
Rod
Old May 24th 16, 07:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Nick Maclaren[_4_]

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:37, john west wrote:

Has anyone any suggestions on might be out there in the market place.

A while back Lidl did a selection of adhesives in a "special". I bought
a tube of shoe glue but have not yet used it - so no idea what it is
like in use. It was quite low priced.

Evostick and similar solvent-based floor tile glues also work well,
though I have never done it for just the corners of heels.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 23rd 16, 09:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
john west

Default update Glue or Sealant for Soles of Boots and Shoes update

Have now found a really good adhesive that does the trick after a couple
of coats.
Its from Wilko. a toothpaste sized tube for £1.50 with a screw cap that
effectively stops it drying up.
Am using thin rubber soles bought on line then cut up, to stick on the
heel corners.