question regarding unequal arm strength

Old April 30th 04, 11:08 PM
TB

Default question regarding unequal arm strength

I apparently have a bad right shoulder (and I'm right handed). It
does hurt a bit now and then but is not made worse by exercising.
When I isolate biceps, triceps, shoulders or chest movements, my right
side is noticably weaker.
So, should I work each arm separately to the potential of each arm?
Or should I hold my left arm back by doing bilateral exercises? And
when I do bicep curls with dumbbells should I let the weaker right arm
dictate the number of reps performed on my stronger left arm? Or is
there even a better strategy?
Thanks,
Tom

Old May 1st 04, 09:29 AM
ray miller

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:08:28 GMT, TB wrote:

I apparently have a bad right shoulder (and I'm right handed). It
does hurt a bit now and then but is not made worse by exercising.
When I isolate biceps, triceps, shoulders or chest movements, my right
side is noticably weaker.
So, should I work each arm separately to the potential of each arm?
Or should I hold my left arm back by doing bilateral exercises? And
when I do bicep curls with dumbbells should I let the weaker right arm
dictate the number of reps performed on my stronger left arm? Or is
there even a better strategy?

I do dumbell work with the weaker arm first and repeat the same
reps/sets with the stronger arm. Fortunately there isn't much
difference between the two for me.
When I do barbell work I try to make sure I don't favour my weaker
side. This gets more difficult as the weight becomes more challenging.

Ray

--
rmnsuk
273/197/182

Old May 1st 04, 03:02 PM
Adam Fahy

TB wrote:
I apparently have a bad right shoulder (and I'm right handed). It
does hurt a bit now and then but is not made worse by exercising.
When I isolate biceps, triceps, shoulders or chest movements, my right
side is noticably weaker.
So, should I work each arm separately to the potential of each arm?
Or should I hold my left arm back by doing bilateral exercises? And
when I do bicep curls with dumbbells should I let the weaker right arm
dictate the number of reps performed on my stronger left arm? Or is
there even a better strategy?

Shouldn't this depend on exactly what you hope to accomplish?
Prehab/rehab work is a lot different, in goals and methodology, than
bodybuilding, strength training for sport, etc. Nontheless, if there's
a very large strength deficit you wish to correct, I would suggest
focusing on that weakness specifically (ie to the exclusion of bilateral
or alternating work, or with a small amount of bilateral work for the
sake of gaguing progress and not detraining your stronger side).

-Adam

Old May 1st 04, 08:25 PM
TB

On Sat, 01 May 2004 14:02:32 GMT, Adam Fahy
wrote:

TB wrote:
[...]

This makes the most sense I suppose. As far as rehab... the Dr says
take Ibuprofen and go for it.

Old May 2nd 04, 02:27 AM
Larry Hodges

"ray miller" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto what Ray said. I let my weakest limb determine the weight and # of
reps. You'll find over time, it will catch up to a large degree. However,
my left arm is still a tad weaker than my right when curling. But not like
it used to be.

-Larry

A newbie question about weight loss vs strength - please help! grubas General 2 April 9th 04 07:31 PM
Questions about strength training N. Heston Weights 3 November 15th 03 12:14 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Proper bench press technique Ted Theodoropoulos Weights 52 September 19th 03 07:11 PM
Training Craze b#[email protected];kFL+ Fred Jones General 1 July 21st 03 01:45 PM