Treadmill advice needed

Old July 9th 08, 02:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

Default Treadmill advice needed

On 2008-07-08, Steve Freides wrote:

You miss the point entirely. No one says kettlebells are better or
worse. Read my reply again -

Your "reply" was a non-sequiter that completely ignored the OP's
question
which was about buying treadmills and instead consisted of unsolicited
advice
about training methods.

This is a consistent pattern in your posts. You are not responsive to
questions posed. At best this reflects an egocentric world view, and
as such
it is seen as heavy handed or even a bit rude.

it begins with the words "my choice would
be"

What your "choice would be" is neither responsive nor relevant to the
OP's
question.

and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure
out that he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine

Which was not responsive to OP's question.

The OP was not asking for a critique of his/her approach to training,
or
soliciting novel training methods.

and I'm not
bashful about doing that. That you seem to feel my opinion carries
the
weight of some religious dictum is your problem, I'm afraid.

The fact that you "respond" to the OP's question with a request or at
the very
least, an invitation to abandon their approach and instead come around
to your
way of thinking creates the impression that you are here to
proselytize rather
than to help.

Often 3/4 of the battle is asking the right question, and I don't
consider it proselytizing to suggest that the wrong question may have
been asked. Sorry if you think otherwise. In my opinion, anyone in the
OP's position - wanting to exercise and lose weight - ought to be aware
of the entire continuum of exercise possibilities, from pure
strength/power training to aerobic/endurance training. Many people
think their only option is to, well, whatever it is they've been exposed
to, and it seems to be some sort of "default" response among many: Oh,
I'm overweight, guess I better start running.

My main purpose in responding to this question is to "proselytize" my
belief that one ought to investigate _all_ options, and then to
specifically mention those options I believe the OP hasn't considered
and with which I am familiar enough to be able to assist. If the OP
isn't interested, he needn't respond to me and that will be the end of
it.

Having done that several messages ago, I will refrain from further
police the otherwise free conversations here.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 9th 08, 03:12 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Elflord

On 2008-07-09, Steve Freides wrote:

Often 3/4 of the battle is asking the right question, and I don't
consider it proselytizing to suggest that the wrong question may have
been asked.

OK, but this means that your position is to respond to almost any question
with "wrong question. Here is my answer to the right question!"

As I wrote previously, this at best demonstrates an egocentric world view. [1]

Sorry if you think otherwise. In my opinion, anyone in the
OP's position - wanting to exercise and lose weight - ought to be aware
of the entire continuum of exercise possibilities, from pure

That's *YOUR* opinion. It may not be OP's opinion (which doesn't seem to
matter, see (1)).

If OP wants to "be aware" of this, they will ask a question about it.

Unless the OP's question is obviously based on false premises, it seems
rather presumptuous to "correct" their question for the purpose of
proseletyzing.

[snip]
My main purpose in responding to this question is to "proselytize" my
belief that one ought to investigate _all_ options, and then to
specifically mention those options I believe the OP hasn't considered
and with which I am familiar enough to be able to assist. If the OP

I believe you pretty much went straight to your favourite options. I didn't
see much attempt to open a dialog about other options. it was more of an
attempt to shoe-horn the discussion into your agenda. Again, see (1).

[snip]
Having done that several messages ago, I will refrain from further
police the otherwise free conversations here.

My criticism of your approach *IS* part of the "free conversation" here.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old July 9th 08, 05:38 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
BradC

On 2008-07-09, Steve Freides wrote:

[...]

Yours is the egocentric police view. People are free to chime in and
suggest better questions and the OP is free to filter them out. I for one
have been happy a couple of times to find out I was asking the wrong
question. Get used to the Internet and the free flow of information.

Old July 9th 08, 06:19 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Elflord

On 2008-07-09, BradC wrote:

Yours is the egocentric police view.

How is it a "police" view, and what is "egocentric" about it ?

People are free to chime in and suggest better questions and

Yes, they certainly are, and I never suggested otherwise.

But when they always "chime in" with the same question, they are open to the
criticism that they are more about pushing their agenda than they are about
helping the OP.

the OP is free to filter them out. I for one
have been happy a couple of times to find out I was asking the wrong
question. Get used to the Internet and the free flow of information.

My criticism of Steve's approach is part of this "internet" and "free flow
of information" that you speak of. If you wish to be a champion of this
"free slow of information", it is important that you are able to distinguish
between criticism and censorship / enforcement.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old July 9th 08, 09:42 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

On 2008-07-09, BradC wrote:

[...]

All of which wouldn't be so bad if the products of said egocentricity were
*correct*.
To endure egocentricity AND incorrectness is the real ass-kicking....
--
DT

Cheers,
--
Elflord

Old July 11th 08, 05:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Chris Malcolm

In uk.rec.walking Steve Freides wrote:

Google the phrase strength-endurance, and don't settle for just a
treadmill. Google also "ross budget training" and read his web site.
There are a ton of things one can do, at home, for little or no money,
to build both strength and conditioning, and certainly for well less
than the cost of a treadmill of any sort.

My choice would be a kettlebell plus the book "Enter The Kettlebell" by
Pavel Tsatsouline - the combination will cost you about $200 and is
widely available. Or buy yourself a screw-on dumbbell set at the local
mega-mart plus a jump rope - that combination will cost you $50.

Or check out the local charity shops and scrap yards. Dumb bell sets
can often be found for a few dollars. Last time I visited my local
scrap yard he had numbers of big exercise machines on sale as well,
including treadmills.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 26th 11, 04:28 AM
williamthatcher williamthatcher is offline
Banned

dude it doesn't matter how long you walk on the treadmill.. Its the intensity of your exercise.
Old June 23rd 11, 08:51 AM
Elbert Elbert is offline
Banned

Hi Peter Clinch,
I have bought used treadmill from my friend who was moving to Lake city last year and before leaving he bought some stuff.
I heard Ebay is also offering discount on few items. Do check Ebay to avail discount benefits.
I love using treadmill while watching my favorite TV programs.
san antonio personal trainer

Last edited by Elbert : June 25th 11 at 08:02 AM.
Old July 21st 11, 06:43 PM
joshua wilson joshua wilson is offline
Junior Member

Location: New York City

Yes thread mill is considered as the most effective way of workout on body... it reduce your weight and also increases the endurance level... all the best with your treadmill..
Old August 5th 11, 02:03 PM
larded larded is offline
Banned

Before purchasing, you must consult with the person who already have purchase this and have the experience of the treadmill. In this way you will feel no hesitation to purchase the right product.

Last edited by larded : August 6th 11 at 10:53 AM.

Treadmill advice needed In the Middle of the Pack Aerobic 0 July 7th 08 04:19 AM
Advice Needed Larry Swain Aerobic 2 February 21st 07 10:23 PM
Treadmill needed for old man Aerobic 2 November 6th 06 11:50 PM
Treadmill needed for old man General 2 November 6th 06 11:50 PM
ECA advice needed please. Sal Weights 6 November 22nd 04 01:07 AM