Knee tendinitis - elliptical trainer OK ?

Old January 2nd 04, 04:44 PM
luc wastiaux

Default Knee tendinitis - elliptical trainer OK ?

Hello,
I have knee tendinitis, so until it goes away I have given up on
running. Is using the elliptical trainer OK ?

thanks.

--
luc wastiaux -
Old January 3rd 04, 07:37 AM
Bill

"luc wastiaux" wrote in message
Hello,
I have knee tendinitis, so until it goes away I have given up on
running. Is using the elliptical trainer OK ?

thanks.

--
luc wastiaux -

Why not compensate for the soreness by developing the leg and go running?
In the meantime, crosstrain by all means that do not aggravate.

See:

Links:
http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24c.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic96.htm
http://aafp.org/afp/991101ap/2012.html
http://www.barefootscience.net/footc...s/a_cover.html

Causes: road camber, overstriding, insufficient recovery, relatively weak
VMO (quadricep that crosses the knee joint medial to the patella) and other
asymmetries, high impact running form, wrong shoe choice,. . ., as well as
structural anomalies.

BTW, the weak VMO, vastus medialis oblique, that leads to improper patella
tracking and soreness, usually responds well to simple physical training. A
shallow(short-arc) one-legged squat, building up to two sets of 60 reps
seems to emphasize the VMO the most.

From: http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic96.htm

Physical Therapy: Conservative treatment is successful in 80% of cases. The
goal of treatment is to control the symptoms.
? Start by having the patient modify his/her activity level. Decrease
activities that increase patellofemoral pressure (eg, jumping, squatting,
kneeling). Gentle eccentric loading activities may be initiated.
? Apply ice for 10-15 minutes, 4-6 times per day, especially after activity.
? Increase muscle strength, especially VMO, with short-arc quadriceps sets,
knee presses, isometric quadriceps sets. Biofeedback may aid in teaching
recruitment of the VMO.
? Improve flexibility of the hamstrings, vastus lateralis, and iliotibial
band. Stretch tight retinacular structures.
? Initiate proprioceptive exercises.
? Ultrasound or phonophoresis may decrease pain symptoms.
? A patellofemoral brace with a patella cutout and lateral stabilizer or
McConnell taping may improve patellar tracking and provide stability through
augmentation of proprioception. See:
http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24c.htm
? Provide arch supports or orthotics to correct foot malalignments. [And why
not use off the shelf inserts, since there is very little science to it
anyway?]
Recreational Therapy: Avoid exacerbating activity (eg, deep knee bends,
stair climbing, hiking). Initiate a home therapy program of flexibility,
strengthening, and proprioceptive exercises. Eccentric loading activities
may be initiated.

"Pain behind the knee cap in runners is often treated with special
inserts in shoes. When you run, you land on the outside bottom part of your
foot and roll toward the inside. This causes the lower leg to twist inward
at the same time that the knee cap is pulled by the quadriceps muscle in
the opposite direction. This causes the knee cap to rub against the long
bone of the upper leg. Special inserts can be placed in running shoes that
limit
rolling in of the foot and prevent knee cap pain. "

The typical prescription of orthotics includes too little attention to other
factors that may be more important and needs to be part of an integrated
approach not done in isolation.

Causes: road camber, overstriding, insufficient recovery, relatively weak
VMO and other asymmetries, high impact running form, wrong shoe choice,. .
.., as well as structural anomalies.

BTW, the weak VMO, vastus medialis oblique, that leads to improper patella
tracking and soreness, usually responds well to simple physical training.
For some, spinning helps; however, a shallow(short-arc) one-legged squat,
building up to two sets of 60 reps seems to emphasize the VMO the most.

From: http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic96.htm

Physical Therapy: Conservative treatment is successful in 80% of cases. The
goal of treatment is to control the symptoms.
? Start by having the patient modify his/her activity level. Decrease
activities that increase patellofemoral pressure (eg, jumping, squatting,
kneeling). Gentle eccentric loading activities may be initiated.
? Apply ice for 10-15 minutes, 4-6 times per day, especially after activity.
? Increase muscle strength, especially VMO, with short-arc quadriceps sets,
knee presses, isometric quadriceps sets, and straight leg raises with the
leg externally rotated. Biofeedback may aid in teaching recruitment of the

Old January 3rd 04, 09:59 AM
Ozzie Gontang

In article , luc wastiaux
wrote:

Hello,
I have knee tendinitis, so until it goes away I have given up on
running. Is using the elliptical trainer OK ?

thanks.

Check out http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

Roll and massage out your quads to release the tension on the patella
tendons.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Old January 3rd 04, 09:00 PM
Ted Bundy

luc wastiaux wrote in message ...
Hello,
I have knee tendinitis, so until it goes away I have given up on
running. Is using the elliptical trainer OK ?

thanks.

Only your knees can answer that question. Try it and see.
Old January 4th 04, 05:52 PM
luc wastiaux

Ted Bundy wrote:

luc wastiaux wrote in message ...

Hello,
I have knee tendinitis, so until it goes away I have given up on
running. Is using the elliptical trainer OK ?

thanks.

Only your knees can answer that question. Try it and see.

After discussing it with a doctor, it was concluded that I should not
attempt running or the elliptical trainer a week or so before going
skiing, so I'm going to give swimming a shot tomorrow.

--
luc wastiaux -