Cardio, weight-lifting & fasting glucose levels

Old October 27th 04, 07:17 PM
bo

Default Cardio, weight-lifting & fasting glucose levels

Hi MFW,

I'm a little confused and hope that I can get some insight on this
pre-diabetic stage I'm finding myself in. (Sorry this is long)

A little history: I'm 39, female, 5'10", 26% BF & weightlifting for
almost 5 years. After stalling out after the first year and
struggling with losing anymore bodyfat I had some blood work done.
After several months of tests & Dr. appts I received the diagnosis of
hypo-thyroid. Additionally, my fasting blood glucose levels were 110.
I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd baby and also have a family
history of diabetes. Ugh.

Needless to say I want to do whatever I can to improve my situation.
This is my current dilemma: My fasting blood glucose readings are
rarely below 100 and sometimes range 110-122. However, my 1 hour
post-prandial readings are typically below 120. (but I eat pretty
clean/healthy)

Some mornings I work out at 6am, then come home and take my thyroid
meds (need to be taken on an empty stomach). On occasion, my fasting
BGL will spike to 145 or so, but then that's been explained to me as a
"liver dump" as a result of the workout. I also tend to think I've
got that "dawn phenomenon" thing going on.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if I've done weight lifting or cardio in the
early am… it always tends to spike my BGL.

I though about eating something before working out, but then that
messes with my thyroid meds.

Is having those fasting BFL spikes hurting me? Should I place my
workouts later in the day? I don't seem to get much info from my
endo or the CDE other than "how to eat" and that isn't anything new
for me.

I've been trying to read about increasing insulin sensitivity and
actually came across some info here on the non-insulin dependent
glucose transport/GLUT4 – that's really interesting. So I thought
that maybe this was a good place to ask my questions…

Also, I'm curious about cardio following resistance training… good or
bad?
I tend to lift weights about 3-4 times/week and cardio at least twice
a week. I definitely prefer lifting weights to cardio (almost
have my bench press to 155)

Anyway – if anyone has any experience or ideas on how I can manage my
fasting glucose levels + thyroid meds + early morning workouts, please
let me know. I'd really appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Thanks!
Bo

Cardio when lifting? George Weights 12 June 30th 04 06:10 PM
Energy Levels at the Gym! Douglas Garstang Aerobic 9 March 30th 04 11:11 PM
recovery time between cardio and lifting bc Weights 7 February 13th 04 07:59 PM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 12:21 AM
Weight Loss Heart Rate vs. Cardio Giganews Aerobic 25 January 1st 04 10:32 PM