Swimming in liquid twice as thick as water has no effect on speed

Old August 20th 03, 02:36 PM
Chris

Default Swimming in liquid twice as thick as water has no effect on speed

Dave Coleman wrote:

A little mindless link propogation - 19 members of the university of
minnesota swim team took part in this experiment, swimming timed 25s
in water mixed with guar. Isn't that surprising when you think about
it, but i bet it's at LEAST twice as tiring - you get twice the push
to combat twice the resistance, but it seems like you're effectively
doubling the effort, too.

The reading this I doublechecked the URL to make sure it wasn't from
The Onion.

Good thing they didn't miscalculate the amount of guar and end up
with a pool full of Jell-o. What a cleanup job that would have been.

Old August 20th 03, 08:15 PM
Jason O'Rourke

Scott Lemley wrote:
I found this article very interesting. I'm not surprised there was no
discernable immediate effect, however, think of this experiment in the
form of a season long "training" set. It would be like swimming with a
drag chute in that the resistance is greater than under normal
conditions requiring a better grip on the water and resulting in
strength building, AND potentially teach the swimmers something about
slipping through the water more effectively.

How important is it that the entry be a sharp impulse?

Drag training (we throw a tire off the back of the boat) is very useful
for dragonboat rowing as it is vital that the entry of the paddles be
unified and powerful. If you do a weak pull, the boat barely moves, but
it's not as evident without the extra drag.

But if the power is to be spread throughout the stroke, I don't think
it has the same value and might just encourage slowness.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Old August 20th 03, 11:43 PM
DaKitty

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Dave Coleman wrote:

A little mindless link propogation - 19 members of the university of
minnesota swim team took part in this experiment, swimming timed 25s
in water mixed with guar. Isn't that surprising when you think about
it, but i bet it's at LEAST twice as tiring - you get twice the push
to combat twice the resistance, but it seems like you're effectively
doubling the effort, too.

The reading this I doublechecked the URL to make sure it wasn't from
The Onion.

Good thing they didn't miscalculate the amount of guar and end up
with a pool full of Jell-o. What a cleanup job that would have been.

I swear, every morning, right when we start the warmups someone *must* be
pumping guar into our pool!!!

Old August 21st 03, 02:04 AM
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider wrote:
|| If twice the "thickness" = twice the viscosity then the results seem
|| reasonable if you can expend twice the energy that you normally
|| would in water. However, this result would not hold up for longer
|| distances where starts and turns (push off from the wall) are
|| penalized with twice the drag and without twice the propulsion. A
|| 100 yard swim in water/guar would equal to more than a 200 yd water
|| swim in work (energy) expended! Middle distance for this old
|| sprinter!

One last thing. If the drag force is twice, then the lift due to body
position would also be increased 2 fold. This means a swimmer would swim
higher in the water (assuming constant density) if his head is looking
forward and back slightly arched. This would actually reduce the drag
coefficient and make the swimmer have less than a 2x factor on the
actual drag. On the other hand, a TI swimmer with a neutral head and a
log stiff body would not swim higher in the water/gar since the position
described (neutral with out an angle of attack) provides no lift! His
drag coeff would remain the same due to no change of body position in
the water/gar.

Old August 21st 03, 03:34 PM
Too Sexy

Damn, that will make me even lighter than I am

"Ghost Rider" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old August 22nd 03, 03:29 AM
DaKitty

Next time...
Beer and Beans!
It will give you temporary jet propulsion to cut through all that rubber
-Coach Kitty

"Too Sexy" wrote in message
Somehow they manage to throw guar in the pool everytime I drank a couple

of
beers the evening before

"DaKitty" schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]