Slipping poles

Old December 11th 07, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bernard Hill

Default Slipping poles

My first set of poles were cheap (at the time) at 16 each for some
Italian make. When one "froze" in place I bought some new Leki ones, 28
each. Non-sprung.

But they systematically slip unstuck. Compared to the Italian ones they
take a LOT of turns to fix in place and I can see the lower section
slowly "unscrewing" with each impact: the basket rotates slightly over a
hundred yards or so.

Anyone experienced this?

--
Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland

Old December 12th 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

Bernard Hill wrote:
My first set of poles were cheap (at the time) at 16 each for some
Italian make. When one "froze" in place I bought some new Leki ones, 28
each. Non-sprung.

But they systematically slip unstuck. Compared to the Italian ones they
take a LOT of turns to fix in place and I can see the lower section
slowly "unscrewing" with each impact: the basket rotates slightly over a
hundred yards or so.

Anyone experienced this?

No, 'cause I prefer lever-lock poles to twist lock, partly because they
avoid the issues you note above. It may be worth noting that Leki
suggest the locking grommets are changed annually (though I've never
come across anyone that actually does!) but that does suggest they may
be prone to wear.
If they're new(ish) have words with the shop and/or Leki about it. If
you end up with your money back then pick up some BD Flicklocks instead.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bernard Hill

In article , Peter Clinch
writes
Bernard Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. I've had them about 2 years so no chance of a
refund. I didn't know there were such things as lever-lock so am
grateful to you.

--
Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software

Old December 17th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

Bernard Hill wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've had them about 2 years so no chance of a
refund.

Well, if you don't ask you won't get. Leki are a reputable company, I'd
say it's worth asking.

Pete.
Old December 17th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch wrote:
Bernard Hill wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've had them about 2 years so no chance of a
refund.

Well, if you don't ask you won't get. Leki are a reputable company, I'd
say it's worth asking.

But I just notice I've assumed your poles are Lekis, which they may not
be. Looks like I need coffee! ;-/

Pete.
Old December 18th 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bernard Hill

In article , Peter Clinch
writes
Peter Clinch wrote:
Bernard Hill wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've had them about 2 years so no chance of a
refund.

Well, if you don't ask you won't get. Leki are a reputable company, I'd
say it's worth asking.

But I just notice I've assumed your poles are Lekis, which they may not
be. Looks like I need coffee! ;-/

They are Lekis. I think I mentioned it in the initial post.

So your head is fine. No coffee needed :-)

--
Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland