Heart Rate Monitor Questions and Recommendations

Old December 9th 04, 04:37 AM
Ronnizia

Default Heart Rate Monitor Questions and Recommendations

I have heard that the polar monitors are really good but I hate the way
they look. I think they are so ugly and the ones with any real
functionality are HUGE.

So I have researched and found the oregon scientific HR308:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/catalog/3_9_118.asp

and the Nike Imara:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Nike_iM...-30981354.html

I was pretty much talked out of the Imara by my local REI sales person
because he said they have been getting a lot of returns.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these?
Also I am thinking about getting a polar m32 strap (because it is nice
and thin) and I am wondering if it will work with either of these?
Any feedback welcome. Thank you.

Old December 9th 04, 04:46 AM
Steve B.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Nike_iM...3512_16-309813
54.html

I was pretty much talked out of the Imara by my local REI sales person
because he said they have been getting a lot of returns.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these?
Also I am thinking about getting a polar m32 strap (because it is nice
and thin) and I am wondering if it will work with either of these?
Any feedback welcome. Thank you.

The battery in my Oregon Scientific (basic model, don't remember the number)
sender went flat quickly (just a couple of months), then the display started
to play up (I suspect moisture inside). Then I had to replace the battery in
the receiver (watch), and now the one in the sender is getting weak again.
It hasn't been a good experience.

Steve = : ^ )

Old December 10th 04, 01:22 AM
Gooserider

"Steve B." wrote in message
.. .
Ronnizia said:

[...]

I don't have a Nike HRM, but I have a Lance 4 watch. I have to say the
quality has been less than spectacular. I got it last Christmas, and within
a month the yellow Lance sig on the back stuck to my wrist. 6 months after
that the strap broke---and I had to pay to get it replaced. Then I contacted
Nike because of the signature problem and various nicks and dings in the
titanium case. To their credit, Nike sent me back what appears to be a brand
new watch. Still, this kind of quality and durability in a $279 watch leaves
much to be desired. To answer the OP's question---Polar. I have an old M52
which has been flawless for 10 years now, and Polar's customer service is
exemplary. The battery died so I sent it back. I paid the standard battery
replacement fee(12 dollars or so) and received the watch back with a new
transmitter AND a free T-shirt. They're awesome.

Old December 10th 04, 03:44 AM
Kirk Gaskell

Stay away from the Nike at all costs. Having got one for my birthday in
April, I returned 4 in the span of 90 days before finally going with a
Polar.

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 04:36 AM
PJ

Polar seems to be the standard. I'm on my third (M52, s610 and now the
s625x) and have been pleased with all of them (though the s610 leaked a
bit but kept working).

PJ
http://patricknolan.com

heart rate der gerauif Running 24 November 14th 04 11:49 PM
Heart Rate Monitors - Which One is Good for a Mid-Packer? Dave & Denise Kother Running 7 December 17th 03 03:43 PM
Heart Rate Monitors - Which One is Good for a Mid-Packer? Dave & Denise Kother Swimming 6 December 17th 03 03:43 PM
Heart Rate Monitors - Which One is Good for a Mid-Packer? Dave & Denise Kother Triathalon 6 December 17th 03 03:43 PM
Slow Jogging - Weakened Heart - Why? Nelson Win Aerobic 60 October 29th 03 06:04 AM