Running in 90 Degrees

Old June 2nd 04, 06:02 AM
Ironic

Default Running in 90 Degrees

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg
Old June 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
Timote

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

-of course, hydrate the day and days before the race.
-bring water in your transition bag for pre- swim
-use an electrolyte solution on the bike
-grab the electrolyte solution or water at every aid station ( you may want to
- another good trick- if they have ice @ the aid stations, take a scoop ( or
two) and put it in your hat- this helps cool down your core temp
Old June 2nd 04, 02:20 PM
BBB

One thing that helps me is to do some of your training in the same types of
temperatures (run at lunch if possible). That helps me acclimate to the
temperature and humidity.

BBB

Old June 5th 04, 02:19 AM
Sam

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 5th 04, 01:55 PM
rtk

Some years ago I was part of a heat study at Penn State in which young
untrained women were matched for fitness (vo2max) with trained women at
least 30 years older than them. Our temperatures were monitored during
two hour stints on a treadmill exercising at 70% vo2max at high temps,
low humidity, not so high temps, high humidity. It was determined that
although the older women took somewhat longer to acclimate to the heat -
i.e., not have their body temperatures rise above a safe level - the
primary contributing factor to their adjustment to the heat was their
fitness as determined by vo2max. The least, but still quite fit,
required 8 sessions. I required 4. The lesson learned for the ordinary
non-athlete, especially an old one, is that rather than avoid the heat
because she feels she *can't stand the heat* is to get out in it and
avoid a/c. For me, knowing a race will be a hot one, it will be
necessary to get my heart rate up at least 4 times in a period of two
weeks. Six to eight times would be better and certainly enough.

Ruth Kazez

Sam wrote:
One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 6th 04, 03:10 AM
Alan and Paula Levin

One additional thought having made a real bad mistake in the Columbia
Tri a few weeks ago.

The run temperature was about 93 degrees and I was really hot. This
after a long cold winter.
At some point on the run some nice guy with a garden hose offered to
soak me. It felt so good that I forgot to not get my feet wet.
Blisters turned to raw skin in a few miles and my feet were in bad
shape for the rest of the race.

Keep your feet dry!!

Alan

Sam wrote:

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 6th 04, 03:10 AM
Alan and Paula Levin

Sam wrote:

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 5th 04, 01:55 PM
rtk

Sam wrote:
One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 5th 04, 02:19 AM
Sam

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old June 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
Wim Colgate

"Timote" wrote in message

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

-of course, hydrate the day and days before the race.
-bring water in your transition bag for pre- swim
-use an electrolyte solution on the bike
-grab the electrolyte solution or water at every aid station ( you may

want to
- another good trick- if they have ice @ the aid stations, take a scoop

( or
two) and put it in your hat- this helps cool down your core temp

I'd suggest ice going in the shorts -- cools the femoral artery blood --
while cold water/ice on open skin can actually make surface blood vessels
contract leading to overheating!

Salt tablet and plenty of fluid -- in really hot/humid conditions, I put one
under my tongue, and when it completely disolved, I put in another...
repeat.

Wim