I need to lose weight. Please help

Old June 29th 03, 11:31 PM
Petzl

Default I need to lose weight. Please help

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:07:46 -0000, Chris House
wrote:

Hi, first time posting here.

I just turned 20 years old, am 6'1", and roughly 215 pounds. I am
wanting to lose some weight over the remaining summer weeks and on into
the school year (starting my second year of college). I own a very nice
treadmill. What I need is some advice as to what exactly I need to do
to lose a good amount of weight at a pretty good pace. I would like to
get down to 175-185 (not just in the next few weeks of course, but
overall). In your views, what do I need to do? I have considered
running on my treadmil twice a day - once in the morning for about 2
miles, and once in the early evening for another 2 miles. That is about
as much as I can do before I get way too tired to go on. Do you think
this is enough?

And what about diet? I am a huge fast food junkie, and I find it very
hard to control cravings. If I want to lose any weight, is it even
remotely plausable to eat fast food occasionally and still do so? I was
thinking I might try to limit it to once a week. And what about soda?
I drink a ton of it. Again, could a limited amount of soda still be in
my diet while still being able to lose weight?

Doing something like this, what types of foods should eat/not eat? Are
carbs an issue? What are the top foods I should avoid?

And one more question, although this may be a different topic
altogether. What do you all do to motivate yourself to keep up the
excercise? The few times I've tried to run everyday, I find myself
losing interest within a few days. It's just so much easier to sit in
front of the TV than it is to go run. Any advice for overcoming this?

Sorry for the longwinded post. Thanks in advance for any help,

-Chris

Go to library and learn to count calories

Avoid sugar like the plague it creates hunger binges and is addictive.
Use artificial sweetner if you have to, Saccharin is zero calories,
the brand Hermestas is the best tasting. Diet cordial is better than
most claimed to be fruit juices). Water is the best drink of the lot
drink at least 8 glasses a day. If you drink diet coke try adding 75%
cold water instead of pure particularly after exercise

If that's all the exercise you can do keep doing it and put a bit of
effort into it try, to beat yesterdays time. Instead of watching TV go
for a walk around neighborhood or in the "mall" you will find this
(real life) is also entertaining

*************
Ideally you should be doing 2 miles in 20 minutes walking if you do or
increase to 3 miles you should do this in 30 minutes (this is a MET
value of 6) an hour a day 7 days a week means you are burning 4000
calories a week (over a pound of pure fat a week)

To achieve your goal (180 pounds) you need about 1800
Kcals (Calories) for daily existence. Plus keep the exercise you are
doing up (see a doctor for a health check)

good diet advice here
http://www.geocities.com/petzlx/Diet.htm

Petzl

--

scan your computer

On line virus scanners available here

"Trend Micro's free online virus scanner"
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
or
"Panda ActiveScan"

There are free virus detectors such as this one
"AVG 6.0 Free Edition"
http://www.grisoft.com

Check your computer for "Spy Bots"
freeware available