Brecon Beacon Ridge Walking Advise PLease

Old January 23rd 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
-- Paul --

Default Brecon Beacon Ridge Walking Advise PLease

Hi,

Me and some friends are going ridge walking in the Beacons next month.
I'm trying to scour the net to find some good ridges to walk and am
struggling a bit as there is so much to wade through.
I was hoping you guys may be able to help me out and perhaps advise me what
the most impressive ridges are called.
We've not done this before, but we are all reasonably fit.
We are there for the 17th and 18th February so need two good ridge walks,
one for each day, and the name of a local town so we can get a B & B.
There will be four of us and two dogs.
Perhaps someopne knows a good website that will help us out.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Paul

Old January 23rd 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey

In message , -- Paul --
writes
Hi,

Me and some friends are going ridge walking in the Beacons next month.
I'm trying to scour the net to find some good ridges to walk and am
struggling a bit as there is so much to wade through.
I was hoping you guys may be able to help me out and perhaps advise me what
the most impressive ridges are called.
We've not done this before, but we are all reasonably fit.
We are there for the 17th and 18th February so need two good ridge walks,
one for each day, and the name of a local town so we can get a B & B.
There will be four of us and two dogs.
Perhaps someopne knows a good website that will help us out.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Paul

I'm sure you will have advice regarding the Central beacons (Pen-y-Fan
etc,) so I will recommend the Western Fans. If you have the transport
available for a linear walk, I suggest you start at the western end at
Llyn-y-Fan Fach (ascend to Waun Lefrith) then head east towards toe
A4067 along The Bannau Sir Gaer/ Fan Foel./ Fan Brychwieiog/Fan Hire
-then descending to the former Tafarn-y-Gareg car park. The Tafarn -y-
Garreg was until fairly recently an operational pub but has been closed
for some time. However just down the road on the left is the Gwyn Arms -
fine food.

(In joke) don't go in November :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old January 24th 07, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
-- Paul --

Thanks Bill for your advise.
We have decided to do the Brecon Horseshoe however
Cheers

Old January 24th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

I suspect that the post I made yesterday didn't get through, so I'll repeat
it just in case you didn't see it.

-- Paul -- wrote:

Me and some friends are going ridge walking in the Beacons next month.
I'm trying to scour the net to find some good ridges to walk and am
struggling a bit as there is so much to wade through.
I was hoping you guys may be able to help me out and perhaps advise
me what the most impressive ridges are called.
We've not done this before, but we are all reasonably fit.
We are there for the 17th and 18th February so need two good ridge
walks, one for each day, and the name of a local town so we can get a
B & B. There will be four of us and two dogs.
Perhaps someopne knows a good website that will help us out.

We've recently discussed this. One thread was called Brecon Beacons, started
on 11 Jan 07, can't seem to find the other one. Check them out if you can.

If not, I'd strongly recommend the Mynydd Du escarpment in the western
Beacons, which includes the summits Fan Hir, Fan Brycheiniog, Bannau Sir
Gaer and Waun Lefrith, and passes the two lakes Llyn y Fan Fawr and Llyn y
Fan Fach. It would be ideal as a one way walk if you can arrange transport
for both ends, but otherwise you can either come back from Waun Lefrith more
or less straight to Glyntawe along a pretty well used track (most of it is
anyway), which is about 12 miles in total, or you can walk back below the
ridges which is also a nice way of doing it, but that will be a bit further.
If that's a bit far you can start from the east, miss out Fan Hir and do a
there and back walk, on top and below the ridges, for about 9 miles.

The classic walk is of course in the central Beacons. This is what we
recently discussed, namely the route of the Beacons Horseshoe. Problem is
that there's a lot more than one horseshoe, there are so many variations.
The main three summits that you have to do are Pen y Fan, Corn Du and
Cribyn. Others, e.g. Fan y Big, are optional. The northern route is the
steepest but most scenic, while the most popular seems to be from the Neuadd
Reservoirs to the south, including the Graig Fan Ddu ridge and the so-called
Roman Road (which isn't). That's about 7 miles. If you want something longer
you can start further east and include the Craig y Fan Ddu ridge (note the
similar name) which is rather good, or even further east (from the
Caerfanell Valley) and include Waun Rydd, which is about 13 miles total.

I've got quite a few pics of the area on my website in the Photo Galleries
and Welsh Mountains sections.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk