decent,simple and effective

Old July 8th 03, 08:44 PM
Screachy Preachy

Default decent,simple and effective

Wilfried Helferding wrote:

my program:

handstandpushups 3 sets 8 reps
onearmed pushups each arm 3 sets 8 reps
pullups wide grip 2 sets 8 reps
pullups narrow grip 2 sets 8 reps
pullups shoulderwide undergrip simultaneously knees to chest 2 sets 8 reps
crunches 2 sets 10 reps
2 x week cardio ā 40 min

what do you think of this program? i havenīt got much time off so i īm
looking for a decent, simple and effective training program to relax and
build muscle.

thx for advice

re your first post:
It's not so much the grip as it is the hand position that will
vary the muscle attack. Toward that end, you may want to buy some
"D-rings" which will attach to a bar and give you many more hand/wrist
positions, at a given grip width. But varying the grip does a pretty
good job back-wise.

Your routine is awesome, as far as the upper body goes.
For completeness you should add chinups and pull-ins (opp. to
pushups). You can do these on a low bar, or, support your feet on a
ladder, and do them on a std. chinup bar--hopefully the screw in type,
and not the suction-cup type. Vary the hand position also.
Also, varying the hand position in pushups is analogous to
varying the handgrip in pullups--but for the chest/shoulders. Pushup
bars are very useful. If you are worried about the slight elevation in
height, you can put your feet on a milk crate or chair.
Military-style pushups (clapping) are probably better than
one-armed pushups. You don't really have to clap as much watch how far
your hands leave the floor--so it is probably better not to clap. The
maximum height you can push off to is directly proportional to your
strength. Imagine if you could actually push yourself up to a standing
position!! I think there are some people who can do this--I might have
seen this at a gymnastics meet, but I'm not sure.
You can get additional ROM (about 50% more) in handstand pushups
by placing the hands on a few phone books, or milk crates. You might
only be able to come *down* in the beginning, but eventually you'll be
able to push back up.

Your routine omits the lower back, which is addressed by dead
lifting-type moves; or weed-pulling!
--
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd