NBC's "The Biggest Loser" Fastest Way to Lose Weight?

Old September 6th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.running
Lankerbig219

Default NBC's "The Biggest Loser" Fastest Way to Lose Weight?

So I am eagerly awaiting the new season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser"
which premieres on September 11th, to see if any of the trainers say
the obvious: running is the quickest and fastest way to lose weight.
Yes, it might look good on TV to make a 400 lb man do 20 chin-ups, but
if he ran for 20 minutes (or more likely walked) he would begin to
drop those 400 lbs faster!

Does anyone have any different opinion on this?

Old September 6th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.running
Proctologically Violated©®

"Lankerbig219" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I am eagerly awaiting the new season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser"
which premieres on September 11th, to see if any of the trainers say
the obvious: running is the quickest and fastest way to lose weight.
Yes, it might look good on TV to make a 400 lb man do 20 chin-ups, but
if he ran for 20 minutes (or more likely walked) he would begin to
drop those 400 lbs faster!

Does anyone have any different opinion on this?

These g-d RealityTV bull**** shows could **** up a wet dream.
They are, to me, literally unwatchable, altho I do catch snippets here and
there.

Indeed, you can expend big calories walking, and there are dozens of
different/interesting ways to do so, including HeavyHands.

Ken Cooper's 1968 book on Running, and Leonard Schwartz's HeavyHands, are
both outstanding and inspiring.
But the public chooses to remain clueless.
Ripped-ab-ed Personal Trainers need to make a living, you know.

There *are* anaerobic methods of very high calorie burn, but it's sort of an
involved discussion.
Even so, Cooper demonstrated that weight loss or not, running is
*metabolically* very important.
Bleeve me, I wish it weren't so.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Old September 6th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.running
runsrealfast

On Sep 6, 10:58 am, Lankerbig219 wrote:
So I am eagerly awaiting the new season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser"
which premieres on September 11th, to see if any of the trainers say
the obvious: running is the quickest and fastest way to lose weight.
Yes, it might look good on TV to make a 400 lb man do 20 chin-ups, but
if he ran for 20 minutes (or more likely walked) he would begin to
drop those 400 lbs faster!

Does anyone have any different opinion on this?

I think you are correct on the weight loss, but it would make for
horrible TV. Who really wants to watch fat people run around a track?

John

Old September 6th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article m,
runsrealfast wrote:

I think you are correct on the weight loss, but it would make for
horrible TV. Who really wants to watch fat people run around a track?

Well, there's a show on now (last episode will be next Monday.) about a
dozen men and women trying to lose weight by walking from Boston to
Washington DC.

--
Crossing the starting line is 90%.
Crossing the finish line is the other 90%.
Old September 7th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article ,
"Doug Freese" wrote:

Well, there's a show on now (last episode will be next Monday.)
about a dozen men and women trying to lose weight by walking from
Boston to Washington DC.

It could work, assuming they are not totally unfit at the start,
unless they eat at every fast food joint on the way.

Proper nutrition is part of the program. And as the show progressed
they were given goals, such as 13 miles in five hours (the first time
they had a goal).

The kicker is that of the people remaining, all of them have to make it
to DC within the time limit in order for them to win the monetary prize.
They started with a hundred grand each, but lose ten grand for every
person who quits or who gets voted off. I think they're down to fifty
grand now.

Old September 7th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.running
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:05:50 -1000, "aeiouy" wrote:

"Lankerbig219" wrote in message
roups.com...
So I am eagerly awaiting the new season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser"
which premieres on September 11th, to see if any of the trainers say
the obvious: running is the quickest and fastest way to lose weight.
Yes, it might look good on TV to make a 400 lb man do 20 chin-ups, but
if he ran for 20 minutes (or more likely walked) he would begin to
drop those 400 lbs faster!

Does anyone have any different opinion on this?

Reality TV blows goats. I think it gives people with 30% BMI a chance to
feel good about themselves watching people with 40% BMI huff n puff their
fat asses off. AFAI can tell losing weight about 75% diet and 25% exercise.
You can run for two hours a day and if you turn right around and consume an
equal number of calories to what you just burned you won't lose a pound.
You will get in much better shape but your weight won't change.

But normally, you won't turn around and consume an equal number of
calories to what you burn. I went from 196 lbs. to 162 lbs. in a
period of about four years, running about an hour a day. No special
diet other then sensible i.e., low refined carbs and processed foods,
high in whole grains, fruits, fish, lean, unprocessed meats, etc., but
no quantitiy limits. Just eat until satisfied.

Runners also get the benefit of a "trained" metabolism.

Frank
Old September 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.running
Proctologically Violated©®

"aeiouy" wrote in message

[...]

I would rephrase:
Barring a circumstance or two, exercise is *by far* the better weight-loss
strategy.
Altho it is also true that it is quite easy to undo its effects with dietary
indiscretion.
Very easy.
--
------

Old September 7th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.running
Proctologically Violated©®

"Doug Freese" wrote in message

"Michelle" wrote in message
In article m,
runsrealfast wrote:

I think you are correct on the weight loss, but it would make for
horrible TV. Who really wants to watch fat people run around a track?

Well, there's a show on now (last episode will be next Monday.) about a
dozen men and women trying to lose weight by walking from Boston to
Washington DC.

It could work, assuming they are not totally unfit at the start, unless
they eat at every fast food joint on the way.

Besides, it's so far off the wall with reality. It will not help the
masses that just need to walk a few miles a day. As Proctologically says,
TV BS!

Oprah got down to 110#!

But, she went right back up.

Why?
I guess she got tired of running 75 mi/wk.
Cain't hire assistants to do that for you.
Well, you can, but then you won't be the one losing the weight.

Hope she got her money back from fitness guru Bob Greene.

Sheeeit, why run when you can Spanx/Spandex it all in?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

-DF