waterproofing leather boots

Old January 21st 13, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

Default waterproofing leather boots

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

The breathing action of Goretex works best in dry conditions, once it
is wet outside you can't pump enough water vapour through it to keep
dry inside. Its benefits in leather footwear are dubious beyond the
box ticking much favoured by advertisers.

Yes. Until and unless the leather breaks down enough to start
letting water through in large amounts. I had to get rid of one
pair of boots where that happened.

The liner will keep liquid water in equally well as out. The usual
failure mode of the membrane is grit or toenail punctures. Of course
the boot and its liner has a great big hole in it from the start, how
else would you get your foot in?

A simple problem in four dimensional topology :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 21st 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
newshound

On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

And I was just going to suggest some oregano, and a splash of balsamic
vinegar

Old January 21st 13, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
David Hill

On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Well the caster oil should keep you running
Old January 21st 13, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Ophelia[_5_]

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Well the caster oil should keep you running

lol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old January 21st 13, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
PeterC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:53:10 +0000, Gordonbp wrote:

On 21/01/13 14:07, PeterC wrote:

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and durability

Rubbish.

Ta.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old January 21st 13, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
PeterC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:27:28 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Dicey" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Pretty cheeks though ... g

After the castor oil?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old January 21st 13, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Ophelia[_5_]

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:27:28 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Dicey" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment:
pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather.
Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Pretty cheeks though ... g

After the castor oil?

Pink cheeks ... "Oh, the embarassment"
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old January 21st 13, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
MP[_4_]

On 21/01/2013 14:53, Gordonbp wrote:
On 21/01/13 14:07, PeterC wrote:

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and durability

Rubbish.

My sister bought a pair of HiTech's IonMask walking boots around £90 I think sorry canít remember exactly which ones, but I do know she got very little wear out of them under 60 mile. As fair as I know the upper didnít let water in but marked and cut very easily. But the worst thing was the soul very quickly came away from the leather upper allowing water in. I tried to persuade her to return them to the shop but because she walks so infrequently she said she had had them to long to take back.

MP

Old January 22nd 13, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 22/01/13 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:46:34 +0000, MP wrote:

But the worst thing was the soul very quickly came away

They were possessed?

terrible case of asset stripping..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc‚Äô-ra-cy) ‚Äď a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.