waterproofing leather boots

Old January 25th 13, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
Mark Roberts

Default waterproofing leather boots

On 24/01/2013 14:45, Peter Clinch wrote:
On 24/01/2013 14:09, YTC#1 wrote:
Wear Altbergs.

Who of course have access to Magic Leather which never suffers the same
problems with waterproofing as the merely high quality leathers all
other manufacturers are stuck with using...

Personally I wear Yeti gaiters, and that works very well for keeping my
feet dry in leather boots. They're not cheap but as well as keeping
your feet dry they also preserve the boot's upper from a lot of the
horrors that walking through acid bogwater all day tend to visit upon
them. Fairly mad for DIY, gardening or m/cycling though, and if I
really wanted dry feet for those I'd wear wellies. Quite often for
walking too...

Pete.

Yeti's will also stop your toes falling off at -20 when you wear them
over your Altbergs.
When you're riding your bike without the luxury of heated clothing.
For a fortnight.
--
Mark Roberts
Old January 25th 13, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
PeterC

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:40:59 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

My suspicion is that the conditions under which the head of pressure
are measured are a long way removed from those that appertain in real
life. But I have never seen a precise description of the former, nor
even a scientific one of why 'work through' occurs - my assertion of
transient overpressure is my understanding of the phenomenon.

Compare to the waterproofness of watches, perhaps: a watch rated as withstanding
a head of 50 meters of water is noted a "being suitable for taking a shower",
100m as "you can swim with it" (in the German Wikipedia, the English one is
little less conservative).

Yes, a watch that is rated at 50m but shouldn't be used in a swimming pool
suggests possibly true but unrealistic claims - rather like a step ladder
that's rated for a static load (might explain why some of my jobs take so
long). then there's the 2kg tent that needs at least 1kg of additional
groundsheet and extra bracing in a gale. My old Vango Mkii featherweight
(plus ridgepole) withstood a gale at the top of Glencoe that flattened frame
tents, just with the standard pegs stuck in a gravel(ly) car park.

Perhaps we should have a walker's form:

50m - suitable for taking hillwalking, if worn under a jacket

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The latter can exceed the 100m limit.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old January 25th 13, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Reentrant

On 24/01/2013 19:40, wrote:

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Huh? Typical orienteering gear is lightweight polyester/nylon trousers
and top, and lightweight shoes many of which now have open mesh panels.
(See
http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.ph...ex&cPath=50_52
for some examples).

None of which are remotely waterproof.

--
Reentrant (35+ years an orienteer and code debugger - hence my sig)
Old January 25th 13, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
On 24/01/2013 19:40, wrote:

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Huh? Typical orienteering gear is lightweight polyester/nylon trousers
and top, and lightweight shoes many of which now have open mesh panels.
(See
http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.ph...ex&cPath=50_52
for some examples).

None of which are remotely waterproof.

Precisely. The 100m is is supposed waterproofness of watches!
Someone commented that it isn't enough, which I can believe, but
I wouldn't bet on a showerproof 50m watch surviving more than
one wet orienteering session!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 25th 13, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Peter Clinch

On 25/01/2013 10:12, wrote:
In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
On 24/01/2013 19:40,
wrote:

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Huh? Typical orienteering gear is lightweight polyester/nylon trousers
and top, and lightweight shoes many of which now have open mesh panels.
(See
http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.ph...ex&cPath=50_52
for some examples).

None of which are remotely waterproof.

Precisely. The 100m is is supposed waterproofness of watches!
Someone commented that it isn't enough, which I can believe, but
I wouldn't bet on a showerproof 50m watch surviving more than
one wet orienteering session!

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 25th 13, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_]

In message , writes
In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
On 24/01/2013 19:40,
wrote:

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Huh? Typical orienteering gear is lightweight polyester/nylon trousers
and top, and lightweight shoes many of which now have open mesh panels.
(See
http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.ph...ex&cPath=50_52
for some examples).

None of which are remotely waterproof.

Precisely. The 100m is is supposed waterproofness of watches!
Someone commented that it isn't enough, which I can believe, but
I wouldn't bet on a showerproof 50m watch surviving more than
one wet orienteering session!

I suppose you need to consider the effect of thermal variation on the
watch internal air pressure adding or subtracting to the depth effect.

--
Tim Lamb
Old January 25th 13, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Right. I had one "50m" watch that I dipped 2" into a bath for under
a second, and dried it immediately. 3 days later, it stopped.

I regard the standard 50m/100m markings as so much marketing bull****,
and doubt that the watches are even tested - even if they are, it
isn't rare for devices to work when straight out of the factory but
not after any real use, let alone after having the battery changed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 25th 13, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
polygonum

On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Pete.

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

[1] I know it does have some sort of energy storage battery and,
eventually, that might replacing. But is is not one of those "It's
Christmas coming up so I'll need a new watch battery" affairs.

[2] Yes, there are other manufacturers who avoid the need for regular
battery changes - and still not need winding. My partner's Eco Drive
watch had been so good, for her, that I went down the same route.

--
Rod
Old January 25th 13, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

In article ,
On 2013-01-25, polygonum wrote:
On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

I have a Seiko diving watch, which I have owned for nearly 30 years. It's
had 3 batteries in that time ...

I have a low-end Lorus (100m!), which is on at least its third,
probably fourth, battery. How long? A couple of decades at least.
But I don't bath, bathe or dive with it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old January 25th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Peter Clinch

On 25/01/2013 12:56, polygonum wrote:
On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Pete.

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

Current Casio reckons 10 year battery life, assuming a certain amount of
use of the light (which I very rarely use). It was ~ 20 so assuming
worst case and it doesn't survive the battery replacement I think I'll
have pretty fair value for money.

Pete.