Garmin Etrex 64.98 in Staples office supplies

Old January 14th 04, 07:21 PM

Default Garmin Etrex 64.98 in Staples office supplies

Called in Maplins this morning and saw that they have the basic Garmin
Etrex at about £114; so it was a surprise to see the same Etrex in
Staples office supplies at £64.98, quite a remarkably cheap price.
Even at GPS Warehouse they are priced at over £90.

It is the basic yellow Etrex but even so this price looks a real
bargain. Northampton Staples had about six in stock this morning.
So if you looking for a low cost entry to pin-point navigation you could
do worse than pop into your local office supplier.

David

replace wiwg with david for email.
--
Discovery Walking Guides Ltd www.walking.demon.co.uk
& The Indestructible Map Company
Old January 17th 04, 11:33 AM
Stuart Robinson

It is the basic yellow Etrex but even so this price looks a real
bargain. Northampton Staples had about six in stock this morning.
So if you looking for a low cost entry to pin-point navigation you could
do worse than pop into your local office supplier.

I bought one in the Staples in Cardiff.

It does lots of things I have no particular interest in like navigating
routes etc, I tend to use maps for that.

Whilst it does what I want, tells me the map reference of where I am,
unless I have missed something its not very easy to get at this
fundamental piece of info.

I had assumed that one of the displays would give a permanent indication
of where you are, but to get that info you have to hold in the enter
button and eventually it pops up with a display asking you to enter a
waymark. The MR is in small letters at the bottom of the screen.

Why not have a screen you can select for permanent display with the
current MR in nice large letters that you can read in poor conditions ?

Apart from that gripe, a bargain.

Stuart.
Old January 17th 04, 12:53 PM
Paul Saunders

Stuart Robinson wrote:

Whilst it does what I want, tells me the map reference of where I am,
unless I have missed something its not very easy to get at this
fundamental piece of info.

I had assumed that one of the displays would give a permanent
indication of where you are, but to get that info you have to hold in
the enter button and eventually it pops up with a display asking you
to enter a waymark. The MR is in small letters at the bottom of the
screen.

That's marking a waypoint.

Apparently you can display the grid ref permanently on the "compass" or
"pointer" screen. See this page;

http://www.lexicon.net/firstwaypoint...rexscreens.htm

Paul
--
Calendars for 2004
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html

Old January 17th 04, 01:18 PM
Fran

said...
See this page;

http://www.lexicon.net/firstwaypoint...rexscreens.htm

Thanks Paul - I'll have a gander.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old January 17th 04, 02:00 PM
Dominic Sexton

In article , Fran
writes
said...
Apart from that gripe, a bargain.

Thing is though, for me it's a pretty major gripe, and it's probably
one of the reasons I never really got on with mine. I can't justify
the expense of another GPS at the moment, so I'm just not tending to
use it... which makes it even more of a gripe, IYSWIM. What I want
I think is a display that shows me the GR when it finds its signal,
without me having to go delving around for it and, as you say, the
necessity of entering a waymark.

You can select the location to be shown at the bottom of the compass
page by using the up or down buttons.

Unfortunately it reverts to the speed display when you turn it off and
on again but it isn't difficult find.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old January 17th 04, 03:00 PM
Stuart Robinson

Apparently you can display the grid ref permanently on the "compass" or
"pointer" screen. See this page;

TVM, missed that point in the manual.

Stuart.
Old January 17th 04, 03:00 PM
Stuart Robinson

I think is a display that shows me the GR when it finds its signal,
without me having to go delving around for it and, as you say, the
necessity of entering a waymark.

As described above you can get at it from the compass screen.

But whilst you can get alsorts of really useful info, the time, sunset
time, heading, average speed etc etc in big bold easy to read letters. The
one vital piece of info, you location, is in tiny not easy to read
letters. Perverse.

Anyone ever done software hacks on these things ?

Stuart.
Old January 18th 04, 02:30 PM
Stuart Robinson

I'm not sure it's there.
Unless it's disguised as something else and I'm just being my normal
thicko self?

Its not obvious.

Page 12, near the bottom where says "By pressing the UP and DOWN
buttons"

Although it does not mention grid reference as one of the displayable
items.

Stuart.