When Do I Quit?

Old August 4th 04, 03:56 PM
Twinkletoes

Default When Do I Quit?

I was doing 100 IMs at the pool this morning with about 30-45 second
intervals.

After #6, I was standing there in the pool, breathing very heavily and
feeling a bit light-headed.

I decided to quit for the day. Then did 100 yards of slow breast stroke and
came home.

Question: Was I a wimp to quit at that point or did I do the correct
thing?

BTW, I am 51 years old, in good health, but with a family history of heart
disease. I enjoy swimming, but don't really want to become a floater.

Thx.

Old August 4th 04, 08:59 PM
Larry Weisenthal

After #6, I was standing there in the pool, breathing very heavily and
feeling a bit light-headed.

It's probably just "healthy" exertion, but, at age 51 and with a family history
of heart disease, you ought to go to a cardiologist to make sure that
everything is O.K. In about 50% of the time, the first symptom of a heart
attack is sudden death.

You'll need a resting (and probably exercise) EKG, physical exam, blood tests
(especially for cholesterol and other lipids), and perhaps more sophisticated
(but probably non-invasive) tests on your heart.

It will cost a bit of money, but you'd certainly spend this amount on your
automobile, if required, and it will have been money very well spent.

- Larry W
Old August 4th 04, 11:22 PM
nelson

"Twinkletoes" wrote in message ...
I was doing 100 IMs at the pool this morning with about 30-45 second
intervals.

After #6, I was standing there in the pool, breathing very heavily and
feeling a bit light-headed.

I decided to quit for the day. Then did 100 yards of slow breast stroke and
came home.

Question: Was I a wimp to quit at that point or did I do the correct
thing?

BTW, I am 51 years old, in good health, but with a family history of heart
disease. I enjoy swimming, but don't really want to become a floater.

One must never quit!
Swimming is easy!
Competing is hard and cruel!

My experience: swimming became much more enjoyable when I went into
"aerobic" swimming, meaning being able to swim 2000m any time,
constantly, with slow heart rate. Unfortunately, It can be really
boring, at first. It demands technique. Focus on that: technique.

In order to swim 2000m, one needs more technique than fitness. From
there you can progress towards a faster and faster 2000m crosser! When
I am tired and stressed I swim it slowly, my medicine! When I am in
top condition, I swim against the clock, do intervals etc.

Just my experience

Nelson

Thx.

Old August 4th 04, 11:39 PM
Richard Cant

In message , Twinkletoes
writes
I was doing 100 IMs at the pool this morning with about 30-45 second
intervals.

After #6, I was standing there in the pool, breathing very heavily and
feeling a bit light-headed.

I decided to quit for the day. Then did 100 yards of slow breast stroke and
came home.

Question: Was I a wimp to quit at that point or did I do the correct
thing?

BTW, I am 51 years old, in good health, but with a family history of heart
disease. I enjoy swimming, but don't really want to become a floater.

Thx.

If you just (re) started swimming ( having not exercised for a few
years) then a medical check-up would be a good move. It's less necessary
if you have been working out regularly since you were much younger..

Feeling light headed is usually a stress reaction (muscles in the back
of the neck get tense) or caused by hyperventilation (could have been
caused by the heavy breathing!).

Working out very hard is not a good idea anyway - unless your technique
is very solid - better to swim slow and work on technique.
--
Richard Cant
Old August 6th 04, 01:47 AM
Richard Cant

In message , Larry
Weisenthal writes
Feeling light headed is usually a stress reaction (muscles in the back

of the neck get tense) or caused by hyperventilation (could have been
caused by the heavy breathing!).

Or, it could be caused by atrial fibrillation.

Symptoms of light-headedness with exertion in a 51 year old male with a family
history of coronary artery disease deserve a work up. As I said, half of the
time the first symptom of a heart attack is sudden death.

Which obviously can't happen now in this case!!!

Seriously - when taking up exercise at a mature age a medical check-up
is a good idea - whether you have any symptoms or not.

If you have symptoms of the type mentioned then most usually they are
essentially nervous phantoms caused by worry that you might be overdoing
it (as Larry says the symptoms of real problems are usually much more
severe!!). However the advice to get a medical check-up is sound either
way because - in the unlikely event of a real illness you will get the
appropriate treatment and otherwise you will get the reassurance of
knowing that things are OK - which will stop the worry and that in
itself will ease the problem!

--
Richard Cant
Old August 6th 04, 02:27 AM
Fleur de Lys

I'd like to know where you get your infos ?

one of my friend died dead on the spot at a soccer game.. he was 29 years
old.. had played since he was about 3 and was in great physical shape.. no
symptoms before nothing.. hearth failure..
There NO WAY of saying if someone's at risk for heart problem or not (other
than by medical testing.. and even then..).. and it's always better to be
safe than sorry.. my whole family on both sides have heart problems.. 2 of
my uncles died suddently after having been active all their lives... the
clues before it happened were few and really not obvious.. after the fact
the families went like "Oh.. that's why he was winded that time.." etc. by
then it was too late..

Again.. better safe than sorry..

--
Will~

The problem with this world is stupidity, now I'm not saying there should
be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?

"Richard Cant" wrote in message
In message , Larry
Weisenthal writes

Old August 6th 04, 08:00 PM
Twinkletoes

I had a battery of tests 3 years ago and results indicated I was healthy,
except for elevated cholesterol (which is now being helped by Lipitor and by
droopping 29 pounds).

I'm reluctant to head back to the doctors for fear my insurance company will
then perceive me as a risk and subsequently drop me, raise my rates to a
monstrous level, etc.

I'll probably break down in a couple of years and get another work-up,
unless I experience some scarier symptoms than those discussed previously.
ink.net...

Old August 6th 04, 08:08 PM
Martin W. Smith

"Twinkletoes" wrote:

I had a battery of tests 3 years ago and results indicated I was healthy,
except for elevated cholesterol (which is now being helped by Lipitor and by
droopping 29 pounds).

I'm reluctant to head back to the doctors for fear my insurance company will
then perceive me as a risk and subsequently drop me, raise my rates to a
monstrous level, etc.

Pay cash.

I'll probably break down in a couple of years and get another work-up,
unless I experience some scarier symptoms than those discussed previously.
link.net...

Old August 7th 04, 01:37 AM
Jason O'Rourke

Twinkletoes wrote:
I had a battery of tests 3 years ago and results indicated I was healthy,
except for elevated cholesterol (which is now being helped by Lipitor and by
droopping 29 pounds).

I'm reluctant to head back to the doctors for fear my insurance company will
then perceive me as a risk and subsequently drop me, raise my rates to a
monstrous level, etc.

Were you exercising back then? 3 years seems long enough to wait for another
physical - during you can ask if a stress test would be appropriate.

it is a bit messed out how we are with medical insurannce now - we're paying
a rather hefty amount of money to not use it unless we absolutely have to.
And god help you if you think about making a water damage claim against your
homeowners policy.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com