Update on status of IMFL and 1/2 IM Disney

Old November 15th 04, 11:27 PM
Tom Henderson

Default Update on status of IMFL and 1/2 IM Disney

I've been active in the IMFL web chat page for a while, due to my
participation in the race. There have been persistent rumors about a
venue change for IMFL, adn today Graham Frasier responded with the
message below. Thought it might be of interest.

FROM: graham fraser Subject: imfl

Monday, November 15, 2004 04:47 PM Host: bouldercounty.com
Rumours...love to hear them. Our intention is to keep the race in PCB. We
have a deal in place and it is a private deal with the Hotels. The City
has never been involved and tourism contact ended in 03. The issue is
about roads and the venue.. As long as we have access tothe roads and the
Boardwalk is involved , we will have a race.

Disney. They have been nothing but co-operative. Our deal with them has
been agreed upon for a couple of months,its the road permits from Orange
county we are working out. Lots of construction...plus the hurricanes set
us back, ...we hope to announce soon...same weekend as last
year..entirely new run...no golf course..

Hope this helps..GF
Old November 17th 04, 09:48 AM
Konrad Hund

"Tom Henderson" wrote in message
8.18...
[...]

I'd like to do the HIM Disney. So if there are any new news keep on posting them.

regards,

Frank

Old November 18th 04, 03:36 PM
Drew

You can sign up for the Ironman NA newsletter on that site. My guess
is that whenever they make plans known you'll get an email with the
update.

Old November 21st 04, 01:37 PM
Diana

Registration for the Disney Half IM opened on November 19th. I
received an email from Ironman NA newsletter. There will be a new run
course,90% paved roads and the rest packed trail. Last year it was on
a golf course (the cement cart trail, ouch! and then soft sand trail,
cruel). The bike course has a short section of rough road, but maybe
that has been repaved. Was not very spectator friendly and Disney
world is a huge distraction. But it was a good race and...I signed up
again.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:11 PM
Drew

I signed up this morning when I got to work. Looking forward to my
first 1/2 IM. Was it wesuit legal last year? I'm guessing it was
since it's only in May.

Old November 26th 04, 08:28 PM
Diana

Sorry, no wetsuits last year. And I would imagine there won't be any
this year. The water was extremely warm. There is a rule that states
that if you want to wear a wetsuit you can, but you won't be eligible
for awards. However the swim was so warm that they would not allow
that. They gave the option of starting from bike but you had to wait
until the last person was out of the water.

I'm hoping they will make some adjustments to the transition area but
they probably won't. I remember it was a really long, narrow run
(walk) out after you got your bike until you got to the "mount your
bike" area, especially for the women. Very frustrating.

It was a fun race and I am signed up for 2005. Tips:

Stay at the Wilderness lodge resort or the Wilderness cabins. Most
convenient for all race activities. I stay at Port Orleans Riverside
last year. It was close, 1.5 miles but still it was hard to get around
because they didn't allow you to park anywhere near the transition
area. Had to take WDW buses.
Cabins are better because you can make some of your own healthy meals.
It is real hard to get healthy food at Disney world...or you pay
through the nose.

Diana

Tom Henderson wrote in message 88.18...
(Drew) wrote in news:f48927ae.0411220511.61703f82
@posting.google.com:

I signed up this morning when I got to work. Looking forward to my
first 1/2 IM. Was it wesuit legal last year? I'm guessing it was
since it's only in May.

I'll try to remember to ask some friends who did the race, but i wouldn't
get my hopes too high. This is Orlando we're talking about, you get highs
in the 90's in April there.