two days of "suddenly difficult" walking- cause?

Old November 17th 04, 03:27 PM
Bill Sanderlin

Default two days of "suddenly difficult" walking- cause?

I have been walking for nearly a year now on a regular basis at respectable
speeds. Recently though, I had an episode of difficulty and I have been
trying to find out the cause. For two nights, I "suddenly" had a much
harder time finishing my walking route than normal. I was breathing quite a
bit heavier at the end of the walk after those two nights. Since then, I
have been trying to find out the cause. Although I am on a low carb diet,
which has done wonders for allowing me to improve my stamina, I am still
inclined to snack on low carb food at night sometimes. For the two nights
in question, the only new snack I had was pork rinds, which are naturally
low carb. Talking to a friend about this, he mentioned that salty foods can
cause water retention which can make exercise more difficult. Sure enough,
the rinks had at least 240 mg of sodium per serving. However, I am
skeptical of this. Can too much salt cause exercise to be more difficult
and, if so, why?

Thanks,
Bill S.