2 months in the gym - NO changes

Old January 9th 05, 05:45 PM
JMW

"GaryG" wrote:

Have you had your body fat measured? It's possible you're changing your
body composition (muscle weight vs. fat weight), but not your overall
weight. You can get a good estimate of your body fat by using this website:
http://www.he.net/%7Ezone/prothd2.html

As for your current weight: Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 26.6, which puts
you slightly into the "Overweight" category. At your age, you are at the
50th US weight percentile (meaning that 50% of 37 year old 5'5" US women
weigh more than 160). A good goal for you would be 144 lbs - this would
give you a BMI of 24, and would put you at the 32nd weight percentile.

Debra has been posting in this newsgroup for eight or ten years. I
think she's a little beyond using circumference and BMI measurements
for estimating body fat.
--

No puppies were harmed during the posting of this
message. Any similarity of identities defamed to
Old January 9th 05, 06:27 PM
JMW

Usenet Posting wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:45:40 -0500, JMW wrote:

"GaryG" wrote:

Have you had your body fat measured? It's possible you're changing your
body composition (muscle weight vs. fat weight), but not your overall
weight. You can get a good estimate of your body fat by using this website:
http://www.he.net/%7Ezone/prothd2.html

As for your current weight: Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 26.6, which puts
you slightly into the "Overweight" category. At your age, you are at the
50th US weight percentile (meaning that 50% of 37 year old 5'5" US women
weigh more than 160). A good goal for you would be 144 lbs - this would
give you a BMI of 24, and would put you at the 32nd weight percentile.

Debra has been posting in this newsgroup for eight or ten years. I
think she's a little beyond using circumference and BMI measurements
for estimating body fat.

She DID ask a pretty noobesque question. She is getting all the
predictable responses (including mine).

Yeah, but you're stalking her.

Old January 9th 05, 07:11 PM
GaryG

"Proton Soup" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:27:45 -0800, "GaryG"
wrote:

"Debra Co" wrote in message
So, somebody tell me what the hell is going on? I'm starting to feel

like
it's
going to be a colossal waste of time, and I'll be here posting a year

from
now
about how I can now squat two plates, run for 3 hours straight, and

STILL
weigh
160 and wear a size 12!

Actually there has been change in only one area - my strength level.

I'm
back
at my old strength from 3 years ago. I can squat a plate, bench 30 lb
dumbbells, etc. I am lifting more than some of the men at my gym.

I've
kept a
chart and watched the increases, since early November. I'm lifting 3

days
week and doing cardio 4-5 days a week.

My cardio levels have increased as well. Right now I'm doing intervals

on
the
elliptical machine for 45 minutes, at levels of 4 and 7. When I am

done,
everything is soaked and my face is bright red. I'm always in the

upper
third
of my heart rate zone. For the past week I've been starting the

transition to
running on the treadmill. I anticipate that it will take some time, as

right
now I can only run for about 4 minutes at 4.5 mph.

For the past 4 weeks, I've been going relatively "good carb." It's not

really
low carb, but I did cut out breads, grains, cakes, sugars, candy, and

drinks
with sugar. I still eat fruits, fruit juice (cut with water), honey in

my
tea,
and massive quantities of veggies. Plenty of meat too.

The other pertinent facts a
Female. 37 years old. Weight 160. Height 5'5". I've lost ZERO

pounds
and
ZERO inches in the past 2 months after going from a completely

sedentary
slug
for 3 years to the raging maniac the people in my gym get to enjoy 4-5

times a
week. In 2000, I weighed 150, and went on a special diet called

Specific
Carbohydrate for my colitis and I lost 20 pounds in 2 months with NO

exercise
at all. So, what the hell is going on here?

Do I need to do CKD or something? Help!

The good news is, you're working out regularly. The bad news is, you
probably need to cut back just a bit on your food intake to achieve a

daily
calorie deficit. Your situation is not uncommon - appetite tends to

increase
with exercise, and we can easily be tempted into "rewarding" ourselves

for a
workout with high calorie treats. This can subvert a good exercise

program
in short order.

A deficit of 500 calories per day should result in weight loss of 1 lb

per
week, and is considered healthy. Even lower deficits can result in
substantial weight loss if maintained over time. So, look at your

current
diet and try to figure out where you can cut 3-500 calories. Do you

drink
sodas or sport drinks? If so, quit.

Have you had your body fat measured? It's possible you're changing your
body composition (muscle weight vs. fat weight), but not your overall
weight. You can get a good estimate of your body fat by using this

website:
http://www.he.net/%7Ezone/prothd2.html

As for your current weight: Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 26.6, which

puts
you slightly into the "Overweight" category. At your age, you are at the
50th US weight percentile (meaning that 50% of 37 year old 5'5" US women
weigh more than 160). A good goal for you would be 144 lbs - this would
give you a BMI of 24, and would put you at the 32nd weight percentile.

Best of luck!

BMI is bull**** for people who weight train and put on more muscle
than you aerobicizers.

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP is a
woman.

FWIW, I also provided her age/height/gender weight percentile, and mentioned
that she should get her body fat tested. A 5'5" tall 37 year old woman at
BMI 26.6 presumably has a fair amount of fat to lose.

GG

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Old January 9th 05, 07:24 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

GaryG wrote:

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP is a
woman.

and women can't have muscles?

Old January 9th 05, 07:37 PM
GaryG

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" wrote in message
GaryG wrote:

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP is a
woman.

and women can't have muscles?

Of course they can!

But, in the absence of 'roids, they rarely get as heavily muscled as men.
Thus, most women cannot use the "I've got lots of muscles" argument that
some men use to dismiss the relevance of BMI.

GG

Old January 9th 05, 07:39 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

oh, so the problem is that you're full of ****. i see. carry on!

Old January 9th 05, 07:47 PM
GaryG

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" wrote in message
. ..

GaryG wrote:

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP

is a
woman.

and women can't have muscles?

Of course they can!

But, in the absence of 'roids, they rarely get as heavily muscled as

men.
Thus, most women cannot use the "I've got lots of muscles" argument that
some men use to dismiss the relevance of BMI.

oh, so the problem is that you're full of ****. i see. carry on!

Ummm...no, I had a nice dump earlier today, thanks.

'Roid rage?

FWIW, I said "most women". Clearly there are some heavily muscled
exceptions. But, a woman with low bodyfat who is classified as "Overweight"
or "Obese" per BMI, would definitely be in a distinct minority.

GG.

Old January 9th 05, 07:55 PM
geek_girl

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:37:20 -0800
From: GaryG
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights
Subject: 2 months in the gym - NO changes

GaryG wrote:

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP is a
woman.

and women can't have muscles?

Of course they can!

But, in the absence of 'roids, they rarely get as heavily muscled as men.

But it doesn't take a whole lot of muscle to make someone "overweight"
according to the BMI scale, which was calculated for a sedentary
population.

Thus, most women cannot use the "I've got lots of muscles" argument that
some men use to dismiss the relevance of BMI.

Most women can't use it for the same reason that most men can't - most
people don't do anything that would cause them to have "extra" muscle. But
a lot of women who lift, just like a lot of men who lift, can be
"overweight" without being overfat.
Old January 9th 05, 07:59 PM
geek_girl

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, GaryG wrote:

As for your current weight: Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 26.6, which puts
you slightly into the "Overweight" category. At your age, you are at the
50th US weight percentile (meaning that 50% of 37 year old 5'5" US women
weigh more than 160). A good goal for you would be 144 lbs - this would
give you a BMI of 24, and would put you at the 32nd weight percentile.

I'm a 35 year old female, 5'4" and currently 150 lbs. What do you think
would be a good goal for me?
Old January 9th 05, 08:15 PM
GaryG

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:37:20 -0800
From: GaryG
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights

GaryG wrote:

BMI might not be relevant for some heavily muscled men, but the OP

is a
woman.

and women can't have muscles?

Of course they can!

But, in the absence of 'roids, they rarely get as heavily muscled as

men.

But it doesn't take a whole lot of muscle to make someone "overweight"
according to the BMI scale, which was calculated for a sedentary
population.

Thus, most women cannot use the "I've got lots of muscles" argument that
some men use to dismiss the relevance of BMI.

Most women can't use it for the same reason that most men can't - most
people don't do anything that would cause them to have "extra" muscle. But
a lot of women who lift, just like a lot of men who lift, can be
"overweight" without being overfat.

OK. I guess it depends on what you want to "use it" for. The basic BMI
number is just a way of relating weight to height across populations. The
problem is when using it to describe an individual's fitness or fatness.

BMI is used because it's: a) easy to calculate, and b) a reasonable
surrogate for body fat for about 95% of the population (though mfw posters
may be an exception).

Clearly, body fat percentage is a better measure, but that's not nearly as
easy to measure.

I must have overlooked the "don't mention BMI" clause in the FAQ's (LOL).

GG