Fairfield 22/-1/2005- flocks of small birds?

Old January 23rd 05, 09:29 AM

Default Fairfield 22/-1/2005- flocks of small birds?

On a very colf Fairfield yesterday, we noticed a flock of about 20-30 smallish birds (bit smaller than blackbird size) flitting around the top. Looked them up in my book and they match the Snow Finch in every aspect of ID and flight but as far as I know, Snow Finch do not migrate.

There are always plenty of Ravens about up there but small birds are something of a rarity especially in minus conditions close to 3000 feet-can anyone explain what they might be?

Old January 23rd 05, 10:17 AM
AndyP

wrote

On a very colf Fairfield yesterday, we noticed a flock of about 20-30

smallish birds (bit smaller than blackbird size) flitting around the top.
Looked them up in my book and they match the Snow Finch in every aspect of
ID and flight but as far as I know, Snow Finch do not migrate.

There are always plenty of Ravens about up there but small birds are

something of a rarity especially in minus conditions close to 3000 feet-can
anyone explain what they might be?

I'm sure I've seen something I believed to be snowfinches somewhere,
sometime but I can't remember where or what time of year.

Old January 23rd 05, 12:08 PM
RJ Webb

They would be Snow Buntings, rather than Snow Finches, which, as you
say, don't migrate and don't live nearer the UK than the Pyrenees and
northern Spain.

--
Malcolm

Yesterday was a rare winter day on which Idid not meet the snow
buntings...

Bsest place for them is the CIC hut where they are often hand fed...

Nearly tripped over a ptarmigan (I hate that P) though

Richard Webb
Old January 23rd 05, 03:51 PM
AndyP

"Malcolm" wrote

They would be Snow Buntings, rather than Snow Finches, which, as you
say, don't migrate and don't live nearer the UK than the Pyrenees and
northern Spain.

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of in my earlier reply. You don't want
to believe anything I say.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:26 PM
Jim Ford

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as AndyP descended on a
* shaft of golden sunlight, and announced:

snip
You don't want to believe anything I say.

We don't - including what you just said ;^}

Jim Ford
Old January 23rd 05, 04:51 PM
AndyP

"Rooney" wrote

High Street, Fairfield, and other high tops thereabouts often have a
few at this time of year. I hoped I might see some today but no luck -
only ravens up high, and fieldfares, a buzzard, and a g s woodpecker
at Sadgill. Quite a number of deer - I see there's a deer fence around
the woods at Sadgill that I didn't notice last time I was there.

What sort of deer?

Old January 24th 05, 12:19 AM
RJ Webb

High Street, Fairfield, and other high tops thereabouts often have a
few at this time of year. I hoped I might see some today but no luck -
only ravens up high, and fieldfares, a buzzard, and a g s woodpecker
at Sadgill. Quite a number of deer - I see there's a deer fence around
the woods at Sadgill that I didn't notice last time I was there.

Once saw one up on Zennor Tor.... Then met some bird watchers outside
the Tinners... Mentioned the snow bunting and ...

Charge!!!!!!

Quite amusing....

Richard Webb
Old January 24th 05, 12:41 PM
The Reids

Following up to

On a very colf Fairfield yesterday, we noticed a flock of about 20-30 smallish birds
(bit smaller than blackbird size) flitting around the top. Looked them up in my book
and they match the Snow Finch in every aspect of ID and flight but as far as I know,
Snow Finch do not migrate.

Its a pity they werent Fieldfares on Fairfield wasnt it? As
others have said Snow Buntings.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old January 27th 05, 09:15 AM
Simon Caldwell

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:29:36 GMT, in uk.rec.walking you wrote:

On a very colf Fairfield yesterday

So as well as being on the same hills as Mr Rooney on the Sunday, we
were on the same hill as you on the Saturday! Didn't see the snow
buntings though.
Our route was Pinnacle Ridge, St Sunday Crag, Fairfield, all along the
'ridge' to Red Screes, down to Kirkstone Pass, up the other side to
John Bells Banner, down to Brotherswater and back along the road (it
was dark by then so we couldn't be bothered with the path across the
fields). And all with rucksacks full of superfluous axes, crampons,
ropes, climbing gear, etc :-)
Pics at http://climbing.me.uk/Patterdale/index.html

Simon

P.S. So many of us were there at the weekend that this should count as
a retrospective expedition. If Paul is lurking out there - can you
assign it with the correct name and number please?

--
Stop ID cards and the Database State
http://www.no2id.net/